SSC, WODS and Basic Ring series program

Started by mightyatom, March 25, 2011 · 11 Replies · 3,566 Views

mightyatom

Hi everyone.

So, i'd like to know if its a good idea to follow a training in which i do:

- FSP and WOD + FSP and Basic ring strength series 2 days a week(one in the morning the other at night),

- only FSP and WOD, 2 days a week.

For a total of 4 days training. FSP: Parallel Bars and Ring support, hollow and arch hold, plank and reverse plank.

I would scalate the Basic ring strength, and use SSC to move towards more difficult variations. The same for the FSP.

The other idea i had, was mixing Killroys and the WODS, that would result in this:

Morning / Night

Day 1 - FSP and WOD + horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE

Day 2 - FSP and WOD + curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations (RTO dips, etc..) FBE

Day 3 - FSP and WOD + pullup and HeSPU variation FBE

Day 4 - FSP and WOD +multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

So far, i've been doing what the sticky "getting started correctly" says, this is my WOD training:

warm up: Parallel Bars and Ring support, hollow and arch hold, plank and reverse plank

Joint movility: Wrist push up x10; wall extensions x10; wall walk

WOD

Movility work after WOD:static holds and biceps tendon conditioning vaH_HUMooyM

Im trying to be careful not to injure myself, thats why im going easy on the FSP, but im worried about my joints during the FBE, thats why im asking you if this would be too much for a begginer. The reason i wanted to add more excercises its because i feel i can do a lot more after the WODS.

Are my prehab/rehab enough to help me prevent any injuries?

Thanks everyone!

Blairbob

Probably, a bad idea.

I just recently changed back to the GB WOD. I had wanted to do a cycle of SSC after spending a few weeks just doing basics and mobility after a 6 week layoff.

During the SSC, I played around a few days of trying to do all 3 planes of FBE, merely doing them at 50% of max and it crushed my CNS a bit. We are talking 3 sets of 3-5 reps whereas I could do 2x as many max reps typically. I also tried to play with working assisted MU every day setting the MU and FBE's on killroy70 plan of one Multiplane day and one day of vertical, inverted, and horizontal pressing and pulling.

There is something to be said about leaving something in the tank. I was able to do this for a couple of days but then noticed it completely crushed me when I would get up on the rings and barely be able to do a skin-the cat. Eat/Sleep/Hydrate were decent.

Currently, I'm contemplating the idea of just doing WU FSP's (which I always do) + SSCFSP's for the levers and ring support (instead of tuck planche) and then maybe the WOD. However, I'll need to get the go ahead to workout at the gym because otherwise I just do not have enough time at the gym to do all of this in one shot. At this point, I'm getting very little event work in which probably isn't good though I probably just need to get back to some old levels of strength before I really care about.

Joshua Naterman

Blair is right, that is almost certainly a bad idea. You will run yourself into the ground in under two weeks. You are welcome to try, but I do not suggest that you go that route.

Sticking with the WODs will help you the most. If you want to do supplementary work, I would suggest that you do so on complementary days. Do extra pulling work on pull days, and extra push work on push days. You can judge that by the WODs. I would focus on one movement per day for supplementary exercise. For example, on a max strength day you could do weighted dips. On a pull day you could do weighted pull ups or FL pulls or something like that. On tempo days you can do higher reps, choosing PPP or dips on a pressing oriented day and bulgarian rows or pull ups on a pulling oriented day. On a multiplane day you could do appropriate multiplane work.

The point is to not run yourself into the ground. Trying to do so much work so frequently is not going to work for strength training. Sure the gymnasts work a lot of skills after conditioning, but those are dynamic and explosive movements for the most part. The strain on the body is far less with that kind of work, and understanding the difference between 2-3 hours of practicing tumbling, swings, circles, etc versus doing conditioning for the same body parts 3-5 times a week is necessary. Conditioning is a lot more draining, second for second, than the skill practice, and the need for recovery is greater. You must not do so much work that your body can not recover and grow stronger between sessions if you hope to make progress.

Blairbob

What do you think about the feasibility of running a SSC for the FSP possibly FBE and adjusting the daily WOD for WOD's with that same movement. Some foresight planning probably could avoid this, but just wondering your takes on it?

I see some conflicts when you have the ring series+5 holds of 15 for the 3 basic FSP's. That would be just way too much I think, at least for myself.

Cole Dano

I don't think it makes much sense. It would be better to design your own short cycle with a similar pattern to the WODs but that rotated the elements you were trying to focus on. Otherwise its a bit like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Blairbob

Which is basically like a SSC rotated with FBE like the Killroy70 system.

Joshua Naterman

I don't think I understand what you are asking, bob!

Blairbob

What I'm proposing is doing a SSC for BL, PL (ring support str), FL + FBE in the vertical, inverted, and horizontal planes including a multiplane (1x per week on 4 different days). Alternating core and legs in there somewhere.

Now do this, but add the WOD as well.

mightyatom

Blairbob, slizzard and brady, thanks, i didnt expect to have the three of you answering my post!

i've give it a thougt, and what i originally planned is, like you said, too much.

What im doing right now is the FSP warm up + ring basic strength series with an added inverted chin ups (i will upload a video).

Only that, im not doing the WODS because i have to scalate them too much, and i lack a lot of strength in some moves.

So my plan was to continue doing this until i have a decent amount of strength for the WODs.

Blairbob said:
What I'm proposing is doing a SSC for BL, PL (ring support str), FL + FBE in the vertical, inverted, and horizontal planes including a multiplane (1x per week on 4 different days). Alternating core and legs in there somewhere. Now do this, but add the WOD as well.

I was thinking of doing something like this, after i finish the SSC im currently doing.

" BL, PL (ring support str), FL + FBE in the vertical, inverted, and horizontal planes including a multiplane (1x per week on 4 different days)"; But without the WODs at first.

Thanks for your answers, i'll upload a video with my current training, that way i'll iknow if im doing something terribly wrong before hurting myself.

Blairbob

Basically, it's just my take on the Killroy70 program using the SSC method whereas Killroy70 did not use this.

mightyatom
Blairbob said:
Basically, it's just my take on the Killroy70 program using the SSC method whereas Killroy70 did not use this.

Would you use big embedded sets, or finish the sets of each FSE and FBE separately?

Blairbob

FSP and FBE independently.

However, I will use reverse cranks or cranks for FL or BL or MU to support. So it's an embedded FSP.

Generally, I would finish all work sets in one FSP, then move on; but from time to time, I'll do FL>support>BL just to be more expedient then rest and then finish them. Then hit the FBE either one FBE at a time or a circuit. Depends on the amount of time I have.