Starting training soon

Started by kwesty92, March 22, 2011 · 2 Replies · 1,688 Views

kwesty92

Hi everyone, had one question before starting a gymnastic/bodyweight program:

I am 5'11" and just over 170 lbs. as of right now with a fairly low body fat %. Ideally I would like to gain 10 or 15 lbs, and have been reading up on eating for mass gain. I know gymnastics is great for adding lean muscle, but most anecdotes I have read are either of very skinny people gaining mass to end up at maybe 165 lbs., and of heavier people transforming their bodies and becoming much leaner while maintaining a similar bodyweight. However, at my current height and weight, is that type of weight gain practical and/or would gaining that weight not be ideal for improvement?

Ryan Verma

I would think that any mass you gain, provided it is mostly muscle, would be beneficial for gymnastic progressions and body weight strength training. If you gained 10-15 lbs of muscle (which, realistically, will take about 2 years for pure muscle) then I think you would be at a better weight/height ratio. Using myself as an example, I'm 5'8" at 180 lbs and about 10-12% bodyfat. I'm not very far in the progressions, but I think that at your current height/weight ratio, you'll have some troubles when you start trying to go into progressions for bodyweight static holds that ask you to extend your legs (back lever, front lever, planche, L-sit etc).

Long story short, I don't see how gaining muscle would be bad for you at all, but you must understand that gaining 10-15 lbs of muscle is going to take a LOT of time. Regardless, if the question of weight gain is holding you back from starting, it shouldn't. As long as you're not chowing down on pizza every second day, you've got time to get more answers and see how you feel doing the exercises.

kwesty92

Thanks for the reply. I definitely wasn't expecting it would take that long,but I think that's because I'm used to reading about barbell programs like starting strength, where you eat everything in sight and gain like 3 pounds a week, even though I know a good bit of that gain is fat.