Doing high volume with FSP's

Started by Warrior'sSuite, March 14, 2011 · 10 Replies · 2,873 Views

Warrior'sSuite

Hi, I just wanted to ask if it is safe to do high volume, or many reps, with the FSP's like e.g. tuck PL pushups, or just like full PL pushups and full FL pullups, once you've mastered the position obviously.

I think I read somewhere in here that since e.g. PL and FL are low leverage exercises you should be careful with the volume either holding the static or doing a pull or pushup with it because of the tendons and whatnot. But then I see guys like Hannibal or Hitman from youtube and they seem to do a lot of volume with these statics.

I actually don't know just how much they do but I've heard this is all they do almost everyday, so will they eventually get injured or something, or is it safe once you're mastered the position?

Alexander Moreen

The videos you see on YouTube are shot over multiple days. And they've been doing these positions for a long time. When you've been able to do a 30s front lever for years then a little more volume isn't going to hurt you. Its all about slowly building work capacity over years.

Warrior'sSuite
Lavastine said:
The videos you see on YouTube are shot over multiple days. And they've been doing these positions for a long time. When you've been able to do a 30s front lever for years then a little more volume isn't going to hurt you. Its all about slowly building work capacity over years.

Years? :shock:

Gerald Mangona

This is a long process, man. Go slow. Strengthen your joints and connective tissue. You'll see plenty of gains along the way. Be the turtle, not the rabbit.

J

Cyaneus

Definitely years. If you are a self teaching than the best thing (IMO) is to learn about programming and periodization in order to avoid plateaus. After initial gains, every year could contain as little as 2-3 large training cycles, or 18-24 weeks per, and each time adapting to a higher level of ability(1), whether modest or great. 2-3 actually seems like a pretty successful year to me. Think in the long run though, you'll be a freak of nature (in a good way).

(1)TOPICAL PROBLEMS OF THE MODERN THEORY AND METHODOLOGY OF SPORTS, Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky http://www.verkhoshansky.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=6fuSItDoT8A%3d&tabid=80&mid=426&forcedownload=true

(Blairbob, thanks for the Dr. Verkhoshanksy links again)

Warrior'sSuite
JmanDetroit said:
This is a long process, man. Go slow. Strengthen your joints and connective tissue. You'll see plenty of gains along the way. Be the turtle, not the rabbit.

J

Yeah, I know. :wink:

Warrior'sSuite
Cyaneus said:
Definitely years. If you are a self teaching than the best thing (IMO) is to learn about programming and periodization in order to avoid plateaus. After initial gains, every year could contain as little as 2-3 large training cycles, or 18-24 weeks per, and each time adapting to a higher level of ability(1), whether modest or great. 2-3 actually seems like a pretty successful year to me. Think in the long run though, you'll be a freak of nature (in a good way).

(1)TOPICAL PROBLEMS OF THE MODERN THEORY AND METHODOLOGY OF SPORTS, Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky http://www.verkhoshansky.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=6fuSItDoT8A%3d&tabid=80&mid=426&forcedownload=true

(Blairbob, thanks for the Dr. Verkhoshanksy links again)

Yeah I'm doing it all by myself, but of course I read a lot here before doing anything and I think I kinda got it down.

I think I'm close to finishing the 1st SSC with the statics, I would have been done like 3 weeks ago probably but I just got too distracted during that time (with girls :D ) and barely did anything lol.

I was just curious about this piece in Building an Olympic Body:

"Be prepared to spend at least six months at these exercises to work through the various progressions. What?! Six months?! Yes, that’s right, at least six months. Some people may need to spend a year or more. You wouldn’t expect to bench press 300 lbs. right away. Nor should you expect to build high level bodyweight strength instantly either. Be consistent, be patient and soon you too can be enjoying the benefits of greatly increased strength and athletic ability."

Is it possible to reach the final progression of either the PL BL or FL in only six months?

Btw that link didn't work...

Cyaneus

sorry about the link, much of verkhoshansky's research can be found here:

http://www.verkhoshansky.com/

Requiring free registration, great info in there.

About the six months... I have no idea, I'm a GB newb.

Joshua Naterman

I believe that was meant to read that it can take six months or more to move from one progression to the next.

Planche push ups are way, way different than planche static hold. The static hold is the absolute most difficult moment in the planche push up. When you're doing planche push ups you're either not going quite that far up or you are only there for just a split second at the top of the rep. THAT can probably be accomplished in a year with correct training. Holding the top position? Good luck, holding a straight arm full planche seems to be a 3+ year journeyfor pretty much everyone from what I have gathered so far. That is a lofty goal that requires consistency to achieve. You CAN do it, but you have to stay focused on the step you are at, not how many come after.

Warrior'sSuite
slizzardman said:
I believe that was meant to read that it can take six months or more to move from one progression to the next.

That was it right? He meant like, from frogstand to advanced fs, from adv fs to tuck PL etc. right? That makes more sense.

slizzardman said:
Planche push ups are way, way different than planche static hold. The static hold is the absolute most difficult moment in the planche push up. When you're doing planche push ups you're either not going quite that far up or you are only there for just a split second at the top of the rep. THAT can probably be accomplished in a year with correct training. Holding the top position? Good luck, holding a straight arm full planche seems to be a 3+ year journeyfor pretty much everyone from what I have gathered so far. That is a lofty goal that requires consistency to achieve. You CAN do it, but you have to stay focused on the step you are at, not how many come after.

So actually doing PL pushups or FL pullups isn't dangerous, like, tendon and ligament-wise? You can do what you want once you can?

Damn, 3 years...that's a lot.

Joshua Naterman

It's less time than a college degree or a promotion to Store Manager in most cases! Everything takes time.

You still have to be careful, but the risks are lower. That's why there are a bunch of ppl on youtube with planche push up videos and almost none hve a decent full lay planche. Full planche is ridiculously hard.