quick question about FBE's

Started by Dilraj Dhillon, March 14, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,088 Views

Dilraj Dhillon

First just a little story: When I first started performing XR pushups I could only perform about 2 good form repetitions. Since I am impatient and get frustrated when I don't do things perfectly the first time I decided to discontinue performing pushups lol. About two months later (this whole time I was still working on FSP's) I was able to perform 5 perfect form XR pushups without ever having worked on them during the two months. I think I was able to perform 5 perfect form XR pushups because of my planche work.

Now here lies my question: What is the point of performing of FBE's if they are improved by practicing FSP's?

Answers would be greatly appreciated thank you very much.

Michael Miskelly
What is the point of performing of FBE's if they are improved by practicing FSP's?

If you had have been working on your pushups along with your FSP's over this 2 month period you would be able to do over 10 reps easily by now. So to answer your question the point is that if you are serious about improving a FBE then relying on carry over strength alone isn't going to get you anywhere near as good a result as actually working the FBE itself. When it comes to harder FBE's like XR dips, HesPU's and the like simply relying on your FSP's will not get you anywhere. This is why FBE's have progressions just like FSP's. Even if you have a full lay front lever it doesn't mean you will be able to do a full lay front lever row, you first have to build rowing strength in an easier position, like half lay or tuck, and then move to the harder position when your strength in that FBE improves.

Dilraj Dhillon

thank you for your reply.

Blairbob

Straight lever positions tend to be hard on the joints, bent joint movements help protect the joints. Bingo.