FL and Schedule questions

Started by Christopher Heard, March 5, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,030 Views

Christopher Heard

Hi there!

I'm quite new to gymnastics and, having dabbled in it time and again, I want to make it a long term part of my training.

For the front lever progressions, am I supposed to keep the shoulder blades together or are they fully extended? Its quite hard to tell by the photos in BtGB, though I'm guessing retracting the shoulder blades helps to achieve the flat back you need for the advanced tuck, etc.

Also, I need to combine my current training with my new gymnastics regime. Currently, it looks like this:

Monday: Gymnastics

Tuesday: Gymnastics, Karate

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Gymnastics, Karate

Friday: Gymnastics

Saturday: Off

Sunday: Off

I've reorganised my training to get the rest days Coach recommends, my only concern is that I may be over-exerting myself. However, if I can upkeep my current calorie intake and diet (Paleo), I should be able to recover? I presume that after the weeks of overload (2-3) of the steady state cycle, I should be finding the weeks gradually becoming easier, so maybe I just need to smash through the tough weeks!

Thanks in advance! :)

braindx

Retract them as best you can.

If karate is mostly skill work then this schedule may be fine. If they have their own strength and conditioning then it may be advisiable to skip your "gymnastics" on those days.

I am assuming "gymnastics" means strength training work.

Christopher Heard

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up, I'll make sure to retract.

Woops, yeah I meant the basic strength work from BtGB! :oops:

Thanks for your help, braindx.