FSP and FBE both in SSC?

Started by Falcon, March 3, 2011 · 7 Replies · 3,926 Views

Falcon

Hi,

I have a question about Steady state cycle.

I'm now in 3rd week of my first SSC, the FSPs are improving, as well as dynamic exercises, the question is simple: Do I have to do SSC type of training on both FBE and FSP, like, do not change dynamic exercises, and their reps?

I think it would be better to discard the exercises that are already easy for me, like negative dips, and add new variations of this exercise, what is your opinion about this?

Blairbob

If you are just doing a SSC, stick to the original exercise. I feel right now, I can do more reps or start doing my FSPs embedded but I'm gonna wait it out.

It's all about overload, load, then underload. By the end of the cycle, that exercise will be cake and you'll be ready to test and move on to a harder progression (possibly).

Right now, I'm doing a SSC for FSP+FBE and I think I have a few more weeks till the cycle ends. It's only been about 6 weeks, I think.

Falcon

OK then, I will stick to my original plan, but I still have the feeling that this isn't going... fast enough, if you know what I mean. It feels a little bit strange, doing already 30% of my exercises easily and not moving to the harder variations, and for example knowing that I already can do a BL flat tuck, but still doing the simple tuck.

Blairbob

Trust me, I know the feeling.

However, I tried to do linear programming, scaling it up and ended up burnt out and my left elbow did not love it at all. Now, it gets tight but I can train a lot more and RECOVER.

It does go slow, which is why some would prefer just the WOD. I need to incorporate that again, somehow.

You may try an 8 week cycle. I will probably sticking to a 12 week cycle as I change my workouts up during the weeks I have meets since I work routine stuff instead.

Falcon

So I can get tendonitis when I'm not doing the SSC, right? Not to mention the overtraining. I will finish this cycle, that means 5-6 more weeks and then I'll see if I'll continue with the SSC or WOD.

Thanks Blairbob :wink:

Blairbob

Yeah, sometimes I try to be the posterchild for stupid so others don't.

AlexX
Blairbob said:
Yeah, sometimes I try to be the posterchild for stupid so others don't.

Haha, sometimes I feel like if people just avoided repeating everything I did when getting into training (sometimes even now :)) There would be a lot of progress to be had haha.

EDIT: I know this is old but I can't recommend the steady state cycle highly enough, tried progressive approach so many times and the results come faster but come to a grinding hault with burning out and injuries (for upper body at least). The progress with steady state is slower for sure but it is CONSISTENT (had to be capitalized because consistency is just awesome).

Blairbob

Yep, exactly.