Hello! Intro and Program

Started by kittyfat101, March 2, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,557 Views

kittyfat101

Hey guys! :D I just registered last night, and my account got activated today (stoked on how fast it happened!). I've been cruisin' around, reading posts on here for a few months now, and I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, and ask for some critiques maybe? on my current workout routine.

I'm 18 years old, 5'9" and about 160lbs. My real name is Zach, I'm a Christian, and I work out just to stay in shape and stay disciplined, as well as be able to serve God (be it at church, home, work) practically. I enjoy not struggling too much carrying a table or something across the street for an event haha.

Anyway, I started working out pretty much in 2009, but finally got on a decent program this past summer, using free weights. I got a lot stronger, and also put on about 15-20lbs. I've never belonged to a gym, my church had some weights, and my friend had a little home setup, so I always worked out at those places, but it was tough getting into the church gym, and my buddy moved about 30 minutes away, so it got a lot tougher to get into the weight room. So, in November, I figured I could either stop working out due to lack-of-weights, or I could get creative and find another way to get stronger (my goal isn't looks, it's pretty much strength) and stumbled (divinely!) across "Building the Olympic Body Through Bodyweight Conditioning." I started it right away, and was instantly hooked! Super fun, and has seemed to be super effective...

So that's been my workout ever since; at first I was only doing the planche and front lever progressions (as well as pull-ups and other random things), but now I've just begun to try and really get organized. It's super simple, but it seems to be very effective... I guess the skills aren't really the goals, but training towards and achieving this skills = significant strength again, which is the goal. So, the true skills I'm training towards are the planche, the front lever, the handstand (haven't really messed around off a wall too much, but I honestly don't have the best body coordination... working on that), everything that comes with a handstand (eventually free-standing pushups, full range HSPU, etc...), the OAC/OAP, and the pistol (my least sought after one. I think my balance and lack-of-flexibility are my main hindering factors on that one). The muscle-up is also in there, but I think the weighted-pullups and unweighted ones (done explosively) are helping me train towards that as well.

Here's my plan:

Workout: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.

For each day, I PRETTY much do the same routine.

Mon/Thurs:

- Weighted chin-ups/pullups (six different grips, aiming for 5 reps all the way through, then bump up the weight)

- Planche static holds (building up to 60 seconds) + Psuedo-Planche Pushups 3x5 (increasing angle when it becomes too easy)

- Front lever static holds (building up to 60 seconds) + Advanced-Tuck Front lever Pullups

- Handstand holds against the wall (these are new, only doing 30 second holds, belly towards wall, for 10-15 minutes) + HeSPU?

- 3x5 airborne lunges (sometimes jumping)

- German hangs (mostly for flexibility), (trying to get to the 3x30 seconds, but my pullup bar is super thick, hindering my grip... I wanna say 2-2.5 inches)

- Some active flexibility stuff (the little that I know), and passive-stretching.

Tues/Fri:

- The same routine, except I unweight my pullups/chin-ups, and do more reps (being weary of tendonitis, I seem to be prone to tendonitis in my left elbow)

I also throw in grip training with my COC grippers, bands, and will begin pinching dumbbells, I seem to have injured the tendons that work in my pinch-grip, but they might be recovered by now.

I started off only being able to hold a frog stand for a few seconds, and not being able to pull-up straight arm into a tuck front lever at all.

Right now, almost 4-months in I guess, I'm holding a tuck-planche with my hips and shoulders level for 8-10 seconds (if my hips a little lower I than level, I've held for about 21 seconds), and ATFL for about 18 seconds (I've been pushing my knees out further, making it much harder... I could hold it a little bit in more for about 45 sec). I'm not trying to cheat myself to say I can hold these for more times, I'm trying to make each progression as hard it possibly can be, so it has the most carryover towards the next step (the straddle front lever, or half-tuck front lever w/e, and the adv tuck planche).

Anyway, uhm... I guess I really just wanted to get on here, introduce myself, say hi, and also maybe get some feedback on things I could change/add in to my routine. Thanks! :D

God Bless,

Zach (kittyfat101)? idk which one you guys prefer haha

kittyfat101

WOW that was a long post. I didn't even realize. I apologize! haha.

Newguy

Hey! :) And welcome, I'll let someone else who is more experienced comment on your routine, but one thing though.

kittyfat101 said:
The muscle-up is also in there, but I think the weighted-pullups and unweighted ones (done explosively) are helping me train towards that as well.

Are you saying you have a Muscle-up? (MU) if not don't bother with explosive pullups and weighted pullups to help you get the MU. I'm not saying don't do either as they have there places. It's called a MUSCLE-up for a reason, speed should not be your goal, you should be trying to do the muscle up as slow as possible. Instead try developing your MU by Negative MU's doing them as slow as you can possibly manage, also practice the transition of the MU separately, by having your rings near(er) the ground and start at the top of a pull up and use your legs to assist you in going up and down through the transition as slow as possible with as little assistance from your legs as possibly, and before you know it. You'll have a nice slow, and correct MU :)

Another tip, don't forget about the handstand, in fact I would say that practically (Carrying stuff for an event) Aesthetically ( :) ) and to prepare you for almost everything in gymnastics (Tumbling, ring strength, nearly every move in gymnastics either starts or ends in a handstand) And getting used to your body being in a position it is not used to. (Upside down :P )

The handstand is the most important element you should focus on. And will have a nice carryover effect into almost every other skill.

Oh, and hi and welcome to the forum ;)

P.S Zach is better...alot better :P

Gerald Mangona
also practice the transition of the MU separately, by having your rings near(er) the ground and start at the top of a pull up and use your legs to assist you in going up and down through the transition as slow as possible with as little assistance from your legs as possibly, and before you know it. You'll have a nice slow, and correct MU

I don't know about this "before you know it" stuff :) But I agree, that at least until you're strong enough to start some of the harder progressions, assisting with your legs has helped gain strength in the parts of the ROM where I've needed to.

kittyfat101

Ya, okay :) cool deal. I do NOT have the muscle up yet... I've tried on a bar a lot, and during one session on some ghetto rings at a park... (they were more like triangles, and were hung unevenly lol)... but yeah, I don't own my own pair of rings; all my training has been done on the floor, against the wall, and with my pull up bar (the perfect pullup). Since i have the perfect pullup though, I have thought about practicing the transition of the muscle up, because the bar swings down... might be worth looking into more, but the height isn't adjustable, so may not work. Anyway, thank you! :) And yeah, I realize the handstand is important, so I'm definitely working that too :)

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi, Zach. Welcome to the forum!

I, too, will let someone more experienced comment on your routine, but at first glance I suggest you read the prerequisites thread.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4313