This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110210

Started by Coach Sommer, February 10, 2011 · 13 Replies · 2,561 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

3-20m wind sprints

5 Pullovers

7 TOPs Pulls

9 FL Pulls

notes:

1) The Wind Sprints should be performed with an all out effort. You may pause for a 2 to 3 breaths in between each sprint.

2) Move immediately from the Wind Sprints to the Pullovers.

3) You may use assisted XR backwards rolls if you are unable to perform a Pullover; from seated position, roll backwards, briefly touch the floor with the feet, and push up to XR support, slowly lower down to MU transition, back to a seated position on the floor. This constitutes one repetition.

4) Move immediately from the Pullovers to the TOPs Pulls.

5) Move immediately from the TOPs Pulls to the FL Pulls.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

7) Remember to work hard, but to scale this workout as necessary.

Asclepius

What is a TOPs pull?

Squatchy
Asclepius said:
What is a TOPs pull?

It's in the book (if you don't have it, you should really get it, great stuff in there)

Start at an inverted hang, then lower yourself to a regular vertical hang while pulling your chin over the bar/rings at the same time, then reverse back to an inverted hang for one rep.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

4 rounds

3-20m wind sprints (x) -- pulled quad prevented any kind of leg action today

pullovers x 5,5,(4+1),5*

TOP pulls (adv tuck) x 7,7,7,7

FL pulls (adv tuck) x 9, (5+4), (4+3+3), (4+3+3)**

*first off, I finally figured a solution on how to set up for pullovers. I have 2 power racks and set them side by side; then, I spanned a barbell between each and I was good to go. Felt pretty solid.

**I'm never really sure what to sub in for FL pulls, especially when there are 2 MPP exercises included in the workout that are rated "easier" in the book vs FL pulls. It's only a problem during metcon days (as with most people). 4 sets of 9 FL pulls wouldn't be too bad stand-alone with a 60-90 sec rest between sets. But man, during this workout, when I got to them, the first 2-3 reps felt great each set, nearly easy, but then I just hit a wall.

overall great workout.

Coach Sommer
killroy70 said:
... I'm never really sure what to sub in for FL pulls, especially when there are 2 MPP exercises included in the workout that are rated "easier" in the book vs FL pulls ...

Have you considered a band-assisted FL Pull? Or you may adjust the body position which you are using during the FL Pull or even increasing the speed of the reps will decrease the intensity of the movement.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

5 Strict Pullups CTB

12 Situps

WOD:

4 Rounds:

100m Row Sprint

5 Pullovers

7 TOPs Pull

9 Front Lever Pulls (Black Elastic)

Rest 3 mins

xUrbOOgZomw

Note: I think my TOPs pull are bad... whats a good substiution. For those who need a demo for Band Assisted FL Pull its in my video also.

Stewart Whaley

WU

15 sec XR support holds x3

1 minute bar hang

3 tempo pullups

Complete four rounds:

5 Seated XR rolls + 5 XR dips

3 tucked TOPs Pulls + 4 pullups

0-2 Fl tucked pulls, 7-9 supported feet XR rows

Lack of sleep (3 week old daughter) and 2 weeks into paleo

diet is killing my energy level right now.

Squatchy

FSP's

Adv frogstand - flat tuck FL - HS- almost half-lay BL

4 rounds

5 explosive squats with (2) 20lb dumbbells followed by 4-5 sprints across the inside of the house

5 seated XR backward rolls with support hold and negative semi muscle-up

7 TOPS pulls (flat tuck and half lay)

9 FL pulls (tuck) These were brutal, usually did sets of 2-3 with short rests between

killroy70 said:
Today's WOD:

**I'm never really sure what to sub in for FL pulls, especially when there are 2 MPP exercises included in the workout that are rated "easier" in the book vs FL pulls. It's only a problem during metcon days (as with most people). 4 sets of 9 FL pulls wouldn't be too bad stand-alone with a 60-90 sec rest between sets. But man, during this workout, when I got to them, the first 2-3 reps felt great each set, nearly easy, but then I just hit a wall.

.

I'm in the same exact situation as you. I thought about doing body rows instead, but might try the band assisted FL pulls next time like Coach Sommer suggested.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Just came back from 2 weeks of x-cntry skiing. Amazing how much coordination and endurance for gymnastic moves you loose in 2 weeks. So, I was very pleased with a WOD that had a lot of pulling (my strength).

Warmed up testing the pullover, TOP and FL pull moves plus experimenting with the setup in my cramped space. Found a solution for pullovers by hanging on a 4 feet piece of an carbon fiber oar handle strung up on my ring straps. Good training for grip strength, too.

Did 3 rounds of:

5 x pullover,

7 TOP pulls (4 + 3, fully extended),

9 FL pulls (3 + 3 + 3, fully extended).

The TOP pulls and FL pulls started fully extended at the start of the set and then became more piked. At the end of the 3-d set I felt pretty fried so called it a WOD.

As a side note. Being curious, I experimented with band assisted FL, and FL pulls, but did not like it at all. It is probably me, but the timing of the loading on the muscles in my shoulders was completely off compared to a non-band-assisted FL (also scaled according to "the Book"). Using the tucked (straddled, etc) version is much more effective, I think.

Tyler Schmitz

Todays WOD

FSP Warm up:

3x15 s Adv tuck fl

3x10 s adv tuck pl

3x15 s straddle l

4 rds:

3-20m wind sprint

5 Pullovers

7 TOPs Pulls (2x adv tuck,2x tuck)

9 FL Pulls (9 Adv tuck,7+2 tuck,7+2 tuck,5+4 tuck)

rested ~3 min bet rounds

Mark Wyly

oops...had to do this one in jeans, atleast i had a tank top on hand

WOD:

2 minutes rest between sets

3 Sprints

5 Pullovers 5 5 5 5

7 TOP pulls 7 7 7 5+2

9 FL Pulls 9 8+1 6+3 4+3+2

Everything kind of fell apart on the fourth set. If I couldn't complete a set in one round, I allowed myself time to drop from the bar wait a few seconds and then continue. My arms felt swollen after these were finished. Put video of second set.

note on this video, there are two prongs that are behind my head on the other side of the machine that I think serve a purpose, but definetly that purpose isn't to give a head massage because they hurt, and i kept hitting my head so i had to kind of lean a little to the side or adjust my decent angle on a few of the excercises.

Gerald Mangona

Not enough strength for multi plane pulling. Stuck with single plane pulling.

Reduced volume until forearm extensor soreness is completely gone.

FSP Plank 2 x 15s

FSP Reverse Plank 2 x 15s

FSP Assisted Chin Hang 2 x 15s

FSP XR Support RTI 2 x 15s

FSP Arch 2 x 30s

FSP Hollow Arch 2 x 30s

FSP Diamond Push-Up Hold 3 x 20s

Tricep Extension (2lbs.) - Each Arm 30

Rice Bucket Circles (each arm, each direction) 2 x 25

Rice Bucket Squeezes 2 x 10

Dip Routine 1 Rounds, 5 Sets x 2 Reps, 30s rest per round 2-2-2-2-1

Burpees (three breaths btwn rds) 3 x 5

XR Row Negative, Pause 5 times for 5s on way down

Diamond Pushups 5

Jumping Pull-Ups 7 (tried to hold at top)

Pull-Up Negative 9 tried to hold at top for 5s seconds...couldn't make past 2s.

Wrist Conditioning

Dorsal Push-Ups (against wall) 10

Wrist Push-Ups - Fingers In (against wall) 25

Wrist Push-Ups - Fingers Out (against wall) 25

Finger Push-ups 10

Finger Hops 10

Gavin Strelitz

This is the type of WOD I have difficulty with in terms of scaling. I know I can do 3 x 5 Naners so in the WOD do I do all the Pullovers and then scale down the TOPS pulls and FL Pulls by doing tucked versions?

Niklas Slotte
Gavin S said:
This is the type of WOD I have difficulty with in terms of scaling. I know I can do 3 x 5 Naners so in the WOD do I do all the Pullovers and then scale down the TOPS pulls and FL Pulls by doing tucked versions?

If it allows you to be consistent in your efforts. Generally for these kind of workouts, you should try to scale the movements as evenly as possible. If the purpose of the workout is, for lack of a better term, dynamic strength, there is no reason to go all out on one exercise at the expense of the others movements. Remember, this is not a max strength workout, the perceived effort should be about the same on all four movements.