Onset of Overtraining

Started by lex4158, February 5, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,143 Views

lex4158

Hey guys, I have been running a routine for about 5 weeks (check my workout log for details)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5367

60s planche

60s handstand against the wall

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever - tuck.

60s L-sit

Workout days 1 and 2

1- - 3x5 Dips - PB

- 3x5 Pullups

- 3x5 V-ups – tuck

- 3x5 Deck Squats (will do w/ weight vest if too easy)

2- - 3x5 Pushups – FX

- 3x5 Rows Ground

- 3x5 V-ups – straddle

- 3x5 SLS - Graduated

I ran this for 4 weeks, progressed felt great. I would do Cardio on day 1 for 45 minues, day 2 I would do a workout and day 3 I would rest, then repeat.

However, I recently changed my routine by including harder variants in there, to this-

60s L-sit - PB advanced

60s Manna - MSH bent

60s Back Lever - tuck

60s Front Lever - flat tuck

60s Planche - advanced frog stand

60s HeSPU (plus free handstand work)

Day 1

3x5 Dips – XR

3x5 Chin-ups – L

3x5 V-ups

3x5 Windshield wipers – supine

3x5 Deck Squats - jumping

Day 2

3x5 Pushups - XR Bulgarian

3x5 Rows - XR Bulgarian

3x5 L-sit lift (or HLL - weighted at ankles)

3x5 SLS - Graduated

I seem to not be properly recovering from this, I have been sleeping worse and feel overtrained. (i have overtrained in the past doing bb'ing/oly lifting.)

I believe I made the mistake of not cutting down the volume/intensity on the 4th week. Or have I not taken long enough to work on the progressions? Any advice on where I should go from here? I thinking about taking 2-3 days off . Should I lessen the cardio?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

lex4158

I found this in a sticky

"Some statics you can do more on than others, but you should still keep it under control. In my opinion, and I believe this is outlined in the book, if you can't hold a position for at least 10 seconds in a max hold, you shouldn't be working that position. I know Coach says you should be working 60 seconds total for whatever statics you are working, but if you can only do sets of 5 seconds safely, you are really working hard. You'll find you are better off working 5-7 sets of 5 seconds a few times a week, instead of 12. You start passing the point of diminishing returns when you try to do that many intense sets. You're better off adding a second to one or two sets every other week or so until you're doing 4-6 sets of 10 seconds with perfect form. "

lex4158
lex4158 said:
I found this in a sticky

"Some statics you can do more on than others, but you should still keep it under control. In my opinion, and I believe this is outlined in the book, if you can't hold a position for at least 10 seconds in a max hold, you shouldn't be working that position. I know Coach says you should be working 60 seconds total for whatever statics you are working, but if you can only do sets of 5 seconds safely, you are really working hard. You'll find you are better off working 5-7 sets of 5 seconds a few times a week, instead of 12. You start passing the point of diminishing returns when you try to do that many intense sets. You're better off adding a second to one or two sets every other week or so until you're doing 4-6 sets of 10 seconds with perfect form. "

according to this, I should go back to my first variant of the routine I was running.