Post tendonitis cycle programming, need advice

Started by Adriano Katkic, February 3, 2011 · 1 Replies · 2,257 Views

Adriano Katkic

When I look back now, I realize tendonitis was my own fault. About a year ago, when I mastered frog stand, I skipped advanced frog stand and jumped right to tuck planche. I wasn't able to get to advanced frog stand because I couldn't balance in that position. So, instead of learning how to balance in adv FS, i just skipped to the next variation. I was able to hold it for 20 sec max. Below is picture of me holding tuck planche:

dsc00269pr.jpg

I did 6X10 seconds for few months and my max hold was still 20 seconds. I realized I HAVE to practice adv FS in order to bulid the right foundation. So I managed to learn how to balance in that position and hold it for 40 seconds on my first try. When I started my new SSC two days later, I got tendonitis in my elbow. I felt my elbow is not right after that day's planche session. The damage is done and there's no use of thinking what happened.

I got tendonitis 3 weeks ago. I rested a lot and used fish oil. I still have some residue pain when I straighten my arm and rotate the wrist backward. I think I'll be ok to train in a week or two.

This time, I wish to train right. Since I had limited access to the Internet lately, I missed a lot of discussions and good info. I logged in the other day to find a whole bunch of posts and topics about proper FSP foundations, routine managing and stuff like that.

I don't have Xtreme rings yet, so following WODs is not an option for now. My routine will look like this:

1. joint rotations

2. wrist rehab/prehab (dorsal push ups, wrist pushups etc.)

3. shoulder drills (Ido's and slizzardman's)

4. plank

reverse plank

perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

arch hold in the superman flying position

Parallel Bar support.

chin up grip dead hang

some light calisthenics for warm up

5. handstand and FSP

6. Horse stance (I picked this up from martial arts training, it's easy and fun to do)

7. selected push/pull, core and leg exercises, as recommended in the book

8. prehab/rehab for wrists and shoulders

9. stretching

These were my stats 2 days before I got tendonitis:

wall HS 150 sec

L-sit PB low 46 sec

advanced frog stand 40 sec

tuck FL 40 sec

flat tuck BL 40 sec

I'm still in a dilemma to plan my new SSC on easier variations, or just start with easier ones for few weeks before switching to more advanced. Also, I will probably do easier FBE exercises for reps. Will add chest expanders bicep curl and tricep extension for elbow rehab/prehab. I read yesterday something about we're not supposed to do advanced planche training before full BL. Should I train all FSPs or put more effort to some of them or train just L-sit and BL? Any suggestion or correction or whatever is welcome. There's a lot of things being discussed right now and I find it difficult to catch up all in once.

Cole Dano

I would also do some kind of weighted supination and pronation, you can hold a soda bottle, a frying pan, whatever at arms length and rotate it.

The advanced frog was added in as a bridge for those who had problems going from frog to tuck. I actually find a true straight arm adv FS harder on my elbows than the tuck PL. I think you simply took too big a leap forward in hold time when you moved 'back' to the adv FS. Start with shorter holds, and really listen to that elbow, don't force it. Three weeks for tendonitis is not much time. If in doubt go to regular frog.