Lost...few questions before starting

Started by Greg Thompson, February 2, 2011 · 7 Replies · 5,443 Views

Greg Thompson

I'm looking forward to starting the WODs but just like some other threads I have seen I'm a bit confused and lost as to how to begin. First of all, would it be best to just hop right in on the WODs(scaled obviously), or to come up with some programming based off of what is written in BtGB for the FBE. Also in the book it recommends doing a SSC for the FSP by testing your max, and dividing it etc. Would you still want to do this if your participating in the WODs. Also do you do all the positions or just pick a few that you want to work on? Do you do them before or after the WODs? or Off days?

Last but not least since the WODs are posted 4 days a week is that the only training one should do? If gaining some lean mass is the goal is there anything I should consider while mainly doing the WODs?

Since the lower body is an issue while training with full body weight I'm debating if I would like to continue doing heavy BB squats/Deads or if I would rather work on SLS and GHR with w a weight vest. The Wods actually have some leg conditioning, how has that developed some of your legs, and would that be enough?

Sorry this post is all over the place. If you can't tell, I'm excited and anxious to start, just don't want to do it wrong. Thanks guys, looking forward to joining in on the community.

Joshua Naterman
gthom87 said:
I'm looking forward to starting the WODs but just like some other threads I have seen I'm a bit confused and lost as to how to begin. First of all, would it be best to just hop right in on the WODs(scaled obviously), or to come up with some programming based off of what is written in BtGB for the FBE. Also in the book it recommends doing a SSC for the FSP by testing your max, and dividing it etc. Would you still want to do this if your participating in the WODs. Also do you do all the positions or just pick a few that you want to work on? Do you do them before or after the WODs? or Off days?

Either way is ok as far as starting WODs goes, but realistically there is no reason not to just scale WODs to your level.

As for SSC, the FSP work can either be separate from your workouts on the same days OR a part of the warm ups. With the exception of the very first position in each FSP progression, if you can't do at least a 20s max hold you aren't ready to SSC it, at least until straddle. When you can do a 15s straddle, you should be ok trying half lay.

Last but not least since the WODs are posted 4 days a week is that the only training one should do? If gaining some lean mass is the goal is there anything I should consider while mainly doing the WODs?

Eat lots of good food! Seriously! :) The basics are what matter. Lots of veggies, fruit in the morning and after workouts and get enough protein. If you want to gain mass then eat for a slightly larger person. Just concentrate on making 5 lb gains at a time, more than that tends to lead to excess BF gain.

Since the lower body is an issue while training with full body weight I'm debating if I would like to continue doing heavy BB squats/Deads or if I would rather work on SLS and GHR with w a weight vest. The Wods actually have some leg conditioning, how has that developed some of your legs, and would that be enough?

Sorry this post is all over the place. If you can't tell, I'm excited and anxious to start, just don't want to do it wrong. Thanks guys, looking forward to joining in on the community.

Do your heavy squats and deads if that's what you like, but alternating them with SLS and GHR or switching between them every month or whatever certainly won't hurt you. I would certainly entertain the idea of at least following the dynamic leg WODs unless you know how to program for leg power (not to be confused with strength). If nothing else, do depth jumps when the WODs say to do them! You can always do 1-2 rounds of scaled leg WOD days as warm up for your BB training.

The leg WODs are great for developing the ability to absorb impact and redirect your body's motion but they can not replace Olympic lifting second pulls or heavy squats and deadlifts in terms of developing maximum power. A gymnast doesn't need that, or the muscle that goes with it, they just need to be able to land safely and to rebound well. Many other athletes will benefit from using the GB leg exercises along with weighted training.

Greg Thompson

wow thanks for the awesome reply! I'll just start by scaling the WODs the best I can and eating lots of clean food!

I haven't yet tested my FSP yet, I'm sure they aren't anywhere close to 20 seconds. This brought up one more question though. Since I probably can't hold for 20 seconds. How many sets should I do per day? I'll probably just do these before each WOD.

Again thanks for the help

Cole Dano

The basic recommendation is one minute total time in the FSP for the lower levels.

Greg Thompson

Would I pick all 6 positions and work them until I get work time of 60 seconds on all positions. (L-sit, Straddle-L, Manna, FL, BL, Planche?) Then move onto the scaled WOD. OR just pick 3-4 that I'd like to work on, like FL, BL, lsit and planche?

Blairbob

All, no cherry picking.

swarovski

sorry blairbob, your answer is confusing me. As far as I know, until one has developed a solid 3*30s floor L-sit, working on straddle, manna and planche isn't advised. Did I get it wrong?

Blairbob

True.

However, it would still be a good idea to work some straddle-L stuff. Mainly to start working those hip flexors. Basically seated straddle-L. It'll work the abs a bit but the focus is starting to work that hip compression.

Frogstand is beneficial, period, imo.