Sick. To train or not to train?

Started by Calder Photography, February 2, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,939 Views

Calder Photography

Hey Guys, I've been sick over the last 2 weeks, and can't stand not training anymore.

I feel pretty much recovered and fine in my body, but I still have a bad cough which produces (sorry) yellow phlegm.

What are your suggestions? Should I keep backed off? It feels like this thing is never going to go away.

I've been doing everything I can think of to shake it, zinc, plenty of water e.t.c. I'm a paleo eater also.

Thanks so much in advance to those who offer advice.

Thomas.

Samuel Carr

If you have the energy and your body doesnt feel fatigued then i say go for it. Last time I had a cold I waited like 3 days before exercising then when i felt good but still had a minor couch and stuffy nose i exercised and i think it helped burn the rest of the sickness away because i felt great after, not congested at all.

AlexX

You are sick for 2 weeks, coughing up phlegm and you haven't been to the doctor? I don't care how healthy you eat that's just plain irresponsible. Go to the doctor and once you know what you have you can make your decision accordingly.

As for training when sick it depends on how sick you are and the first consideration should always be: do you have a fever? if the answer is yes (even a slight one) the answer is no. Taking advil to bring the fever down does not mean that you no longer have a fever. However, if you just have a mild cold with sneezing then it depends, you should know your body better than anyone. I for example do train when I am slightly sick (mild sneezing and coughing) but scale the volume back, however I make that decision based on how my body feels and there is no clear cut rule.

Felipe

Good article.

Take tons of vitamin C. 5 grams everyday are very helpful. Take a fraction every 3 hours rather than all once.

And remember to just show up when you feel tired and weak, you will notice there if you will improve or you will skip.

This is not the case since you are still coughing.

Blairbob

When I'm feeling tired, weak, or think I may be sick, but not sure; I just try to get through the WU.

More often than not, that wakes up everything. OTOH, if it makes me feel like merde, it's time to call it a day.