Lost? Help!

Started by Calder Photography, January 28, 2011 · 2 Replies · 1,974 Views

Calder Photography

My training program looks like this:

FSP'S (on a ssc regime)

a1. L sit (hands flat between cinder blocks) 4x 15 secs

a2. straddle L (legs straight) 4x 15 secs

B1.Planche (tuck) - 4 x 15 secs (hips in line with shoulders 60% of the time, working on this)

B2. front lever (advanced tuck) 6 x 10 secs

B3. German hang - 2x 30sec sets

Then I do the WOD for the day.

How does this sound? am I missing anything out? If i want to work on things like handstand and my muscle up, where should I fit these? should I do work dedicated to specific movements AFTER each days wod, and then cycle through the movements I want to accomplish everyday? for example - (after workout)

Monday - muscle up work

tuesday - handstand work

wednesday - one arm chinup work

e.t.c

Also, should I be training arch and hollow holds, and xr support holds? where should these fit in?

Another thing that completely confuses me is all this talk of doing fsp in sets of 3, and working up to 3 sets of 60 secs for each exercise. I've been doing them the way it's stated in the book (half max hold for a total of 60 secs) is this okay?

@#$%! this can be a confusing topic. but luckily it's the most fulfilling training I've ever done.

Thanks so much in advance to any who responds.

Thomas.

Eddie Stelling

-For FSP I would add a Reverse plank hold for good shoulder health to balance your PL work.

-Also you need to add HS work to your routine and do it before your FSP while you are fresh.

-Arch, hollow, and XR support holds can also be added to your FSP sets. You can do the exact same thing by testing the max time and breaking your sets up in 50% max time for 1 min total volume. OR if you have already reached 1 min holds on those you could do 1x60s of each for maintenance in your warmup or your FSP sets.

-The 3x60s recommendations that everyone speaks of is primarily for advanced strength work/progressions.

I.E. Coach recommends achieving 3x60s L-sit on floor before beginning PL work. Also achieving 1x60s L-sit on floor & 1x60s straddle L on floor before beginning Manna work. This doesn't apply to leverage progression in the individual FSPs. If you hold a tuck BL for 1x60s with solid form, move to flat tuck/adv. flat tuck and so on...

-The additional work outside of the WODs is still something I ask about a good bit. I think it's more or less what you can handle. Most people like to work on this stuff before the WOD and limit the volume so that it doesn't effect WOD performance. Then, they work "skills" after the WOD. A skill is something that you are good enough at that you need lots of repetition on. On a leg day you could save additional work for after the WOD. Or you could do something like weighted pullups before a ring series WOD and then finish your day out with muscleups after the WOD. I have come to the conclusion that you are going to have to play with this. From experience I prefer to prioritize and work on things I am really focused on at the beginning of my workout, that is after the HS work but before the FSP, and then work on more things that are 2nd or 3rd on the list after the WOD. However, I am going to also experiment with adding the additional work as you have suggested. Focus on one move or movement group a day for work outside the WOD. I want to see how that works. Play with it!

-Make sure you always warm up first, Ido's shoulder routines.

Hope this helped!

Blairbob

I would prefer skill work before the WOD. HS can be done before or after the FSP. I do some as a WU (HS walk, roll to HS, cartwheel variants), presses after the FSP or before and generally HS balancing after the FSP. However, I also do HS shrugs and holds in the WU before FSP but after the general wu/mobility.