This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110125

Started by Coach Sommer, January 25, 2011 · 16 Replies · 3,011 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5 Front Pulls

10 FL Pulls

15’ Cirque

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Adjust the body position as necessary during the Front Pulls. It is not required to use the same body position for both the ascent and descent.

4) The intensity of the FL Pulls may be increased by either slowing the tempo, adding additional weight at the ankles; or both.

5) If you do not have a rope, substitute 10-15 Towel Pull-ups for the Cirque.

6) Do not rest more than 2-3 breaths in between exercises. If you are resting more than this or are unable to achieve the RX'd repetitions, you need to scale down the workout to accomodate your current strength levels.

7) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Alvaro

Today´s WOD is one that I always fear, and that is due to the fact I never have performed it as RX´d. I didn´t scale it down enough, just trying to perform an advanced movement I missed the correct repetitions by more than half.

Today I had to cut back a lot in order to keep the repetition range, but I think it will work better this way. I think that is the reason I don´t have improved in my max pull ups or chin ups(also the lack of training of course). I did this:

warm up

3X (trying to improve the volume slowly)

5 german hang pull (and not very deep)

10 rows with feet elevated (really a killer for the next one)

10 upper body rope climb (seated in a chair only going down with the upper body). this seems ridiculous but it was the only way to finish with the proper numbers, thinking about 15 was impossible, grip and biceps where fried!.

Coach Sommer
omegant said:
5 german hang pull (and not very deep)

10 rows with feet elevated (really a killer for the next one)

10 upper body rope climb (seated in a chair only going down with the upper body). this seems ridiculous but it was the only way to finish with the proper numbers, thinking about 15 was impossible, grip and biceps where fried!.

Very good job. The most common mistake that people make when attempting gymnastics training is failing to adequately scale down when necessary.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kenneth Manning

Omegant I'm right there with you. Sometimes after these pulling metcon days I feel like I would need to scale it back to 25 minutes of watching TV :D .

Anyway, Today's WOD:

60 sec bike sprint (high resistance) x 4 rounds

tuck front pulls x 5,5,5,5 (arms slightly bent - just can't seem to get out of the bottom with perfectly straight arms - frustrating!!)

adv tuck FL pulls x 10, 10, 8+2, 6+4

feet supported rope pullups x 10, 8+2; switched to incline rope-rows x 10, 10

Heart was exploding out of my chest by the end of this one. Probably should have scaled a tad bit more, consider that for next time.

Ryan

if im doing slizz's 5x5 m,w,f to increase pull up stamina; should i not do this wod. It just seems like it would be too much frequency in one week and might lead to over training.

Leandro

WU:

Shoulder and scapula mobilization

4x15 L-sit

4x15 Straddle bent low

2x40 planche lean

4x15 adv FS

2x30 reverse pushup (for MSH)

2x15 tuck FL

2 skin of the cats 5sec hold

3x15 german hang

WOD:

1:30 rope jumping

5 Tuck Front Pulls

7-8 Elastic assisted tuck front lever pulls

10 ground assisted pull ups holding ring straps

4 times.

This wod is clearly out of my reach. My lats are killed. I can't complete 10 FL pulls even tucked and with the elastic assisting. The final 10 pull ups were a joke.

I don't know how to scale it down even more. Any tips?

Velocity

My WOD setup is almost identical to that of omegant.

Warmup

L-sit work -- knees bent, angle about 30 degrees from horizontal; hips a bit below horizontal: 4 x 15 sec.

A couple tries of German hang pulls and XR rows with feet elevated to ring height (had to get my foot prop into position and make it stable)

WOD

60 sec. shuttle sprint as prescribed

5 German Hang pulls -- these were fairly easy in terms of degree of difficulty, but I wanted to make sure I could get to 5 reps

10 XR rows -- Hard for me. Didn't help that I don't exactly have a fully stable support system for my feet. But the horizontal pulling strength/stamina just isn't there.

10 towel pull-ups -- Assisted, by means of feet on a chair.

3:00 rest

x4

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

Double Under to Triple Under Practice

Shoulder Dislocates

3 Pullups Behind the Neck + 2 L-Sit Pullups

10 Pushups with Shoulder Rotates

WOD:

4 Rounds:

30s Left Hand Hammer Strikes

5s Rest

30s Right Hand Hammer Strikes

5 Front Pulls (Tuck)

10 Front Lever Pulls (Black Elastic 1st Round; Purple Elastic Other Rounds)

8' Cirque

Rest 2 mins

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions

Rest day tomorrow! I NEED IT! :mrgreen:

Mark Wyly

Yes, I failed to scale down correctly on my first set! Tuesday I always have to rush from work to my gymnastic workout to finish in time for Capoeira, but atleast I could use a real rope for the cirque instead of towel pull ups.

WU:

working in a cubicle from 8-5, not recommended at all

WOD:

4 sets of following:

Shuttle Run (took a few rounds before i could get the timing to 60 seconds)

5 Front Pulls tuck

6 +2 FL Pulls tuck, scaled down more after first set after realizing I had to to complete the 10

Cirque (although it was being occupied by another conditioning class, so had to wait my turn when i got to it) DId not feel as strong as I thought I would on the Cirque, hard to follow up a rope climb at the end of this set.

Here is a video of my first set, needed to scale down afterwards, and add a few more sprints on the shuttle run.

Sorry if your neck hurts after watching this, it is sideways :roll:

du9Tx3eS0Iw

I have a lot to learn still in accomplishing these workouts effectively with correct techniques, and scale properly.

Finish with Capoeira from 6-8:30 afterwards.

@Spartan... agreed on needing a rest day tommorow!

Razz

Good job Mark!

A few comments:

Front pulls should go all the way down and all the way up

Make sure you lock your arms in the FL pulls when you hit the FL position

Start the rope climb from a seated straddle.. that will add another 1½-2m distance :D

Mark Wyly

Hey thanks Razz!

Ahhhh your so right. I have the book but for some reason looked at the photos above 'front pull' which was the wrong excercise..oops! haha

Good advice on rope to add extra length!

:shock: <-lats!

Thnx :)

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warm Up:

3x10 s HSMH

3x10 s Flat Tuck FL

4 rds:

60 s shuttle run/jog

5 front pulls (2 x 5 flat tuck, 2x5 tuck)

10 fl pulls flat tuck/tuck (10,10,7+3,6+4)

10 Towel Pull ups (10,7+3,6+4,5+5)

rested 3 min bet rounds

Jason Stein

End of recovery phase yesterday...seems to have worked because desire to train is very high.

I would have scaled it more for 4 rounds, but could pull 2 rounds as below. The last Cirque was still tough.

Can't wait to get back on it.

best,

jason

A. Arm, Leg D-ROM

B. Band Dislocates x10

C1. Swedish Ladder shoulder stretch 3x10+10sec. hold

C2. Eagle Dislocate 3x5+10sec. hang

D. Wrist Circuit x1

E. Bridge x5+10sec. hold

F1. Swedish Ladder Chin-up Hang 3x30sec.

F2. XR Hollow Hold, Feet Elevated, 3x60sec.

G. One-arm Work

H1. 60sec Shuttle Run x2;

H2. Tuck Front Pulls 2x5;

H3. FL Pulls 2x10;

H4. 12-foot Cirque x2; rest 3 min.

I. Front/Dead Splits @ 2min/ea

J. Bridge x10

Asclepius

This one was really really tough. I felt like I couldn't get a good substitute for the Front Lever Pulls (even though Pullovers are the easiest scale for this movement, I couldn't get over the bar! Any suggestions about this?). My college also has a perfectly good climbing rope, which is OFF LIMITS to everyone BUT members of the track team (why do they even need it?!?!?!).

3 Rounds:

60 sec. shuttle run

5 Body Levers (VERY HARD)

4-5 TUCK FL Pulls (hard as heck also)

8-10 Towel Pullups (using the straps of my rings)

I wasn't really satisfied with this one really, mainly because I just couldn't get a good sub. for the FL Pulls (still very confused why I can't do a Pullover).

Coach Sommer
Asciepius said:
... This one was really really tough. I felt like I couldn't get a good substitute for the Front Lever Pulls ...

Good point.

Possible substitutions for the Front Pulls include negative only Front Pulls (the rings could be adjusted to allow you to jump into the inverted hang), negative only Body Levers or possibly even hollow rocks if necessary.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Asclepius
Coach Sommer said:

Good point.

Possible substitutions for the Front Pulls include negative only Front Pulls (the rings could be adjusted to allow you to jump into the inverted hang), negative only Body Levers or possibly even hollow rocks if necessary.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the advice Coach! I think the Body Levers (also called "Dragon Flags" in some circles) are appropriate for me for now since they were incredibly challenging and I know that my core is not up to par.

Negative FL Pulls are definitely a possibility (or I could just figure out how to do a darn Pullover!).

Thanks again!

Joshua Naterman

I did this one altered for lower volume. It's been a while since I have pushed intensity any, but I did ok.

I only did front pulls on the first round. I could do them full lay for 2 reps, with a pretty slow negative on the way down from inverted hang, maybe 5 seconds. Other rounds were 3-5 reps of slow negative front pulls, fron inverted hang to a dead hang in a straddle. Took 4-5 seconds per rep. Pretty tough, excellent work, turned many heads.

I did 3 rounds of 5 FL pulls pretty slowly, a little more than 1s to go down and 1s to go up, each rep took about 3 seconds, everything was perfect in full lay. I really should have gotten that on video. Last round I did straddle and only 3 reps.

I did regular pull ups since I didn't have a towel. I just did 3-4 pull ups per round. FOcus was on perfect form and correct scapular movement, good improvements. Strength is going way up.

I will continue to take it easy for the majority of days and will only push strength once every 10 days or so.