Hey guys,
(I apologize for the long and vain post ahead of time)
I've been snooping around the forums for a few months, but just recently decided to register and contribute. Since I can remember gymnastic type training has fascinated me. It seems very fun, and rewarding. I have not bought the BtGB book yet or rings. I'm still trying to figure out a way to hang them in my apartment(any ideas). Anyways my question is this. I have been a wrestler/grappler for almost my entire life. For the past 2 years I picked up Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Through this whole time I have always lifted weights. In the past it has been mostly bodybuilding type splits that all the high school kids to do get a pump.(lol). But over the past year I have focused more on strength training with the big barbell movements. Squat, Dead, Bench,Press, Row along with Weighted chins/pullups/dips. I'll admit it is quite rewarding watching my numbers on the bar go up,but it can get boring.
I would really like to add gymnastics training into my arsenal to possibly replace the weight training completley, as long as it can provide a few things. Not only am I trying to improve performance on the mat in BJJ, but I'll admit I'm quite vain. Since I put a lot of time into my training/nutrition/and fitness related reserach, I do like to look like a guy who trains.
I'm sure a lot of the argument will be to just say look at what gymnasts looks like. The thing is those guys are at the top of their game, they also train many many more hours then I will. I also know nutrition is a big deal, I follow pretty strict Primal/Paleo a la Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf.
Sorry for carrying on, my question basically comes down to this. Would subbing in strictly gymnastics type training, by way of the WODs continue to improve body composition? My goals are to actually gain weight(lean mass). If i had to guess bf% Id say I'm around 10-12%. 5'8 165lbs. I'd like to get up to 175ish with single digit bf. I know from reading the site most people are more interested in performance than their bf%. But Coach's signature sums it up for me. "To look and perform like a gymnast, you must train like a gymnast" I'm just wondering if its actually possible following only what is written in the BtGB, and by following WODs.