This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110120

Started by Coach Sommer, January 20, 2011 · 22 Replies · 3,627 Views

Coach Sommer

IVzjUhRhtpA

Complete four rounds:

10 Wheels

20’ L-sit walks

30 sec Swinging Dips

40’ Ag Walks

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Move immediately from the Wheels to the L-sit Walks.

2) After the L-sit Walks move immediately to the Swinging Dips.

3) After the Swinging Dips move immediately to the Ag Walks.

3) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

4) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement.

Velocity

So for those unable to do L-sit walks, would 20' of Ag walks work, especially if 40' more are prescribed later in the round?

Guest

In the past, people have substituted L-sit walks with variations in which one or both feet were kept lightly on the floor (so they could slide). This makes the exercise substantially easier. The next harder step would be to walk only on the hands with the legs tucked. I played around with this before doing the actual WOD and they work fine but I found them to be too challenging in combination with the other exercises.

I scaled down to the following and performed three rounds of:

10 'hopping' pushups

20' of L-sit walks, one foot on the floor

2x15 seconds of swinging dips

40' of Ag Walks

Finished off with 2x10 Wrist Pushups on the knees, with piked hips.

Notes:

1) I can't do the wheels without severe piking so I just pushed up hard, lifted my hands, and came back down again. I hope to be able to make small circles soon and increase the ROM over time.

2) The swinging dips were done between two couches. My ROM (both vertical and horizontal) is still very small but I really liked the way these felt.

3) Fourth round.... was simply out of my reach today.

Tonight: capoeira training (which I'm also slowly getting back into, after a hiatus of a year).

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

10 Dips

10 Pushups

5 Clapping Pushups

FSP:

3 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 20s, 10s, 10s)

WOD:

4 Rounds:

4 Wheels then 6 High Clapping Pushups

40' L-Sit Walks (1 Foot Up; 1 Foot on Trolley)

30s Swinging Dips on XR

40' Ag Walks

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups. Stretch.

No video this time battery was dead :(

David Beckerman

Because I worked nights I did Tuesdays WOD yesterday. As such my wrists and elbows were still recovering so I trained today carefully.

4 rounds (3 min rest)

10 x clap push ups ( happy with the improvement here)

13s XR L-sit low

3*XR dips

30 sec reverse Planche

2x10 wrist push up series on knees with straight arms

pogo69
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
30s Swinging Dips on XR

...

No video this time battery was dead :(

bugga!! I tried some very dodgy swinging dips on the XR; while I know that my abject failure was largely due to strength deficit, I was also unable to work out quite how to get the mechanics right (think the rings were swinging more than I was!!). would have been good to see someone else's attempts.

Leandro

I'm coming back to the wods after a long time away because of my anlke injury and the lack of motivation it caused...

WU:

Some of Ido's shoulder work

Rope jumping

2x30 planche lean

4x15 straddle bent low

4x15 front lever tuck

4x15 adv frog stand

2x30 reverse pushup

some light german hang and back lever

Wod:

4 rounds:

10 hoping pushups

L sit walk on freesbie (3-4 meters....)

5 regular dips

Ag walks on freesbie (3-4 meters...)

2x10 wrist pushups

stretch

L-sit walks and ag walks are simply out of my reach. I felt the workout wasn't so effective because I couldn't do them, so I did some extra triceps exercises at the end.

Tyler Schmitz

Warm UP:FSP

3x15 s Adv. Tuck FL

3x15 s Tuck PL

3x15 s Straddle L

WOD:

4 rounds:

10 Wheels

20' L-Sit Walk (1 ft sliding)

30 s Swinging Dips (1/2 ROM)

40' Ag Walks

Rested 3 min between rounds

Finished with 2x10 wrist pushups

took it lightly today due to extreme soreness in core and legs from starting this week after taking a week and half off

Velocity

This WOD was almost responsible for the destruction of my house. It was royally pi--ing me off... mainly the walks portions. The suggestion for "one foot on the ground to slide" types of L-sit walks... uhh... yeah I'm going to need to see a video of somebody doing that with proper form. WTF?? I was angered primarily because my first three or four items used to try and let my feet slide on the tiled floor were unsuccessful... finally found a way and it went more smoothly.

Warmup

German hang work: 4 x 15 sec.

Frog stand work: Don't recall number of sets; average time probably about seven seconds. Balance and legs slipping are still the main issues.

WOD

10 clapping pushups

20' "one leg on ground" L-sit walks (but definitely with questionable form)

30 sec. PB dips (the most in one interval I could do was five)

40' Ag walks

2:30 rest

x4

2 x 10 wall wrist pushups

Asclepius

So I tried this WOD and it was really hard.

However, I had one major problem with it and it is something I noticed with Tuesday's WOD also: During the Wheels, my lower back becomes very arched, to the point of hyperextending. What can I do to remedy this? This also happened when I was doing the handstand work from Tuesday, especially when I did the HS Wall Runs.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
pogo69 said:
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
30s Swinging Dips on XR

...

No video this time battery was dead :(

bugga!! I tried some very dodgy swinging dips on the XR; while I know that my abject failure was largely due to strength deficit, I was also unable to work out quite how to get the mechanics right (think the rings were swinging more than I was!!). would have been good to see someone else's attempts.

I don't even think I have the swinging dips right on the rings either... it is much harder.. I got no PB Station :(

Stewart Whaley

3 rounds:

10 hopping pushups (moving forward each time but my hands aren't moving out/away from my chest at all)

20' L-sit slides (heels pretty much stay on the ground)

30 secs swinging ring dip attempts (horrible failure)

40' AG walks (tough time keeping hips up)

Final:

1x 10 hopping pushups

wrist pushups

Way too fat and weak for this one.

Jaw infection and root canal this morning didn't help, either!

Coach Sommer
Asclepius said:
During the Wheels, my lower back becomes very arched, to the point of hyperextending. What can I do to remedy this?

This can be remedied by additional lower back and ab conditioning. In the interim, my recommendation is to perform your pushup variations from your knees until your core strength improves.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

4 rounds:

10 baby wheels (these were on a hardwood floor and I haven't done any serious press training since last May so these were really small circles. Talk about noise... ^_^)

L sit: 1st round was crappy L sit walk for 8 feet or so, last 3 were 20s tuck L sit hold on chairs. Focus was on scapular downward rotation, unbelievable how much of a difference this makes.

30s swinging dips. This works out to about 15 swings. I did 8-10 actual swinging dips per round, this soft tissue stuff is starting to make my body feel like it did when i was 18 again!!! Pretty good for not training any of this for so long. I also entered into the starting position through a russian dip. By concentrating on the scapular depression and protraction I was able to do this very easily. Very important, the scapula are. It is amazing how much stronger you become when you learn to use them correctly.

30' AG walks. So the first round looks like crap and it is the only one I recorded, and I discovered something very important: Putting a rigid cutting board inside my slider (a pair of folded up sweat pants) makes these possible. There is simply way too much resistance to do these properly when my entire weight is distributed solely on the back of my heels. Once I put the board inside the total force was spread across a square foot or so instead of about two square inches. Big difference, much smoother slide. This will probably help people doing these on carpet as well: make sure the bottom of your frisbee is very, very solid. You could do this a number of ways, but the easiest is probably to just fold up thick cardboard or put a small book in the center or something. I would say to cut a circle of thin plywood that fits, but that may not be practical for everyone.

I would like to note that for people who have some elbow issues during AG walks you will benefit A LOT from soft tissue therapy on everything in the elbow, especially the lower inner elbow right under the biceps tendon and also the brachioradialis. Those two will be hot spots for a number of people, and the rest is just generally a good idea because you WILL have dysfunctional levels of tightness building up slowly. Taking care of it once (or a few times) a week will keep you feeling like brand new. If it works for an old fart like me, it will work for all of us. This obviously does not replace proper joint conditioning, this is just to make sure that your soft tissue stays healthy enough to benefit from the conditioning instead of hurting itself.

Eddie Stelling

Ido's shoulder routines

FSP:

3x24s Straddle L (bent legs)

4x15s Flat tuck FL

3x15s Tuck PL + 30s Adv. Frog after each Tuck PL

3x30s Reverse Plank

3x20s Adv. Tuck BL

4x17s L-sit (floor)

3x25s XR support hold

5x12s PL lean

WOD:

4 rnds

10 clapping push ups

20' L-sit walks dragging 1 foot

30s swinging dips (horrible setup-have to use the dip handles on the end of a GHD machine, so my legs go from flat tuck to an arched half lay. Its close to the ground, did the best I could.)

40' AG walks

Slizzardman, what soft tissue work are you talking about, because I definitely had my right elbow flare up tonight/ First time ever. Could you elaborate or lead me to a forum where you have already talked about this? It hurts doing L-sits, AG walks, and also found it to hurt when I did a power clean.Thanks alot man! Good job everyone!

Jason Stein

This is the beginning of a 4 session reduced-load cycle...

I wasn't confident in hitting all the required reps of Wheels, so I subbed clapping push-ups.

We've got home-made P-bar set-up at the gym, which I have to elevate on boxes in order to swing, so the mechanics of the swinging dip are tricky. Still, felt just right.

best,

j

A. Arm, Leg DROM

B1 Shoulder stretch 3x10+10s;

B2. Eagle Dislocates 3x5+10s hang.

C. Wrist Circuit

D. Bridge-ups 3x5+10sec

E. Med Ball T-spine Stretch 1x10+30sec @ 10kg

F. One Arm Work

G1. Clapping Push-ups 2x10;

G2. L-sit Walks 2x20 feet

G3. Swinging Dips Back 2x30sec [6,6]

G4. Ag Walks 2x40 feet

H. Wrist Circuit

I. Bridge 3x5+10sec

Tarun Suri

Recorded this one:

Z__F5-BZbDo

I only did 5 sets of 10s HS for my FSP warmup today, since it was getting a little exhausting and I wanted to be in top shape for this one. I'm always afraid of metcon-ish workouts. Surprisingly, it didn't feel that hard on the heart at all (it's not supposed to anyways).

PB tuck LSits were horrible, but I'm pretty sure that my PBs are too far apart. Anyone know what the optimal distance and the circumference should be?

Ag walks were much easier than I thought. I'll do the entire diameter of my little park which should be about 40' next time.

I'll keep my hopping pushups since I wasn't able to complete it in the 4th round. The hops got smaller too.

Another problem with the PB is that it's too low. It's affecting me psychologically when I go for my swinging dips.

I hope the video can help some newbie/beginners, after all I'm in that category!

David Picó García

The distance between pbars i think should be the equivalent to the distance from your elbows to your fingers (hand extended).

Although pbar are to low, your timing while going down is not correct, you should start going down after you arrive to the back swing and starts to go to the front. Or you can do them just when you arrive to the front you go down while starting going backwards. I think first option is easier although.

Tarun Suri

Thanks serotonin!

I think this means that the PBs are at correct distance, will check later. If that's the case, man do I have a lot of work to do! Based on the video, do you find that the circumference is too much and would impact my performance?

Alexander Moreen

I think you should just work on your swinging for a while, you aren't letting yourself go forward at all on those swings, and not getting to much range back either. Practice that until you can do controlled swings to horizontal on both directions with no hip pike.

Extend your body more on the AG walks, your toes to your head should make a straight line or even be arched up like a bow.

Tarun Suri

Roger. Thank you for the feedback Lavastine :)

Anthony King

I am doing the WOD's one week behind so that I have time to figure out how to scale them.

What are suggestions for scaling the swinging dips? I can cobble together the equipment to do them, but I'm positive I'll need to scale them way down. I've seen that some people broke up the thirty seconds into smaller sets, but I'm pretty sure I'll need something even easier or I'll tire myself out so much that I won't be able to finish the workout.

Would 30 total seconds of swinging be a decent sub? with some negative dips added if the swing feels too easy?

This is my third week of WOD's. They are fun, but extremely humbling.

Guest

Keep the 30s sets but decrease the ROM (both of the dip and the swing) as much as necessary to be able to finish the 30s set. That's what I did - if veteran forum members have a different opinion or a better substitution they will chime in :)