Hand facing in Adv Frog Stand / Tuck Planche

Started by Aaron Griffin, January 18, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,755 Views

Aaron Griffin

Hello all,

I'm at the point now where I should be progressing to the Tuck Planche, or possibly a straight armed version of the Adv Frog Stand (slizzardman mentioned this in one of his videos). But I'm confused about the hand positioning. Currently I do the Adv Frog with fingers pointing forward, but in order to straighten my arms, I almost need to come up on the top of my palm (what is that called? "ball of the hand"?). Is this appropriate? Or do I simply not have enough wrist flexibility? How should I move on? By switching hand positions or working on wrist flexibility?

Any other advice for someone at this level? I feel like I have the strength to move on, but not the flexibility.

Side note: the Adv Frog Stand gets a lot harder if it's hot and you are sweaty... :)

Philip Chubb

Do both. Gain the flexibility to put your hand flat and keep working it on the ridge of your hand to continue building your strength.

Aaron Griffin

"Do both" as in both hand directions?

Anything else that could be done for wrist flexibility besides the basic forearm stretches?

Philip Chubb

No I meant go ahead and go to adv tuck if your times are good. Work it on the ball of your hand if you have to. But at the same time work to increase your wrist flexibility. This way, you will get stronger and more flexibile. It kills two rocks with one bird.

I really like a combination of active,PNF, isometric, and passive stretching to gain flexibility. I use all and the gains made each day are in inches.

Blairbob

Look into what has posted of the wrist series.

This is some of it Ylck5jTQdHQ . Done not as well as Coach S would prefer.

I tell the kids this part of the hand is called the MCP ridge. MetaCarpalPhalangeal ridge. Hence I just call pushups with this part of the hand, MCP pushups.

Aaron Griffin
PHILIP said:
No I meant go ahead and go to adv tuck if your times are good. Work it on the ball of your hand if you have to. But at the same time work to increase your wrist flexibility. This way, you will get stronger and more flexibile. It kills two rocks with one bird.

Thanks. I'll start doing this sometime this week