In gymnastics, is the plank and reverse plank similar to the yoga poses of the same names? That was my assumption but I also saw a video where the person had his feet up on a chair and now I'm not sure.
Thanks.
Started by Chris Hansen, January 15, 2011 · 5 Replies · 5,265 Views
In gymnastics, is the plank and reverse plank similar to the yoga poses of the same names? That was my assumption but I also saw a video where the person had his feet up on a chair and now I'm not sure.
Thanks.
In the seminars, Coach had us do them on a gymnastics box. I don't actually know why its done that way and not on the floor, though i imagine there is a gymnastic specific reason.
At home i do them feet on the floor.
If you do them on a box or mat, it can simulate the extension of a pommel circle. There is a guy on the team who does it like this at our gym.
It also makes it harder.
I have a question about the reverse plank. While I couldn't hold a plank, arch and hollow for more than 30s, the reverse plank seems fairly easy for me. On my first try I was holding it steady for over 50s before I started shaking. Am I doing it wrong? I have my feet up to the level of my shoulders, straight torso and legs, hands pointed towards my bum and below my shoulders. Yet the ease of this position makes me suspect I'm not doing it right.
If I'm doing it right how can I make it harder? Hold it longer? Add weight? Thanks! Just didn't want to start a new thread on what seems to be a simple question. Thanks! And sorry for hijacking this thread.
Make sure you squeeze your glutes and point your toes for tight body tension.
A way to make it harder is to lean back so the angle from the shoulder to wrist becomes diagonal instead of vertical.
Can this reverse plank be used as assistance for a manna? I am working a lot for this skill but it is taking FOREVER!