This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110111

Started by Coach Sommer, January 11, 2011 · 28 Replies · 4,127 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of: MU to BL, pullout to FL, lower to hang, MU, forward roll to MU, XR L-sit, press to shoulder stand, press out to 10 sec XR Support Hold, roll backward to BL, FL

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) The MU to BL is performed by executing a MU to just over the transition and then lowering with control down into a back lever. Note that it is necessary to press the shoulders forward during the descent into BL in order to maintain the correct balance. The body position of the BL may be modified as needed to accommodate your current strength levels.

3) If necessary, the MU to BL may be scaled down by performing a MU to support and then rolling backward to the BL.

4) All MUs should be performed with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition

5) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

6) All FSP are two second holds unless otherwise designated.

7) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

8 ) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

9) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

10) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

John Sapinoso

Coach,

Do you have a video example of a proper MU to BL? These have come up in discussion before on the forums and there has been some discrepancy on the proper execution. I've read that at no point should the shoulders rise above the wrists but have not seen a single example performed in this manner.

Greatly appreciated,

John

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

:shock: here goes nothing...

David Beckerman

Not sure how to scale this to my basic level :?

Seeing as the previous WOD was lots of pulling, I might just make this one a pressing day with some pull ups as they are part of this WOD.

Cheers,

Dave

gymgreg

I know my BL is not strong enough to do a proper MU to BL and scaling back to Coach's recommendations would have been better. But I tried to do a scaled version just for the heck of it and to see where I am standing.

To get a feel for the movement I ended up doing a couple of rounds before the ones I filmed and therefore was already pretty exhausted before even starting this thing.

Maybe some people will still find it useful, even when it's just to see how not to do it.

-UuNvnTYPmA

Curious to see Demus or Dillon doing the the WOD.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Geez Greg if your having trouble in the first part. oh lord I wonder for me :mrgreen:

Reece Nugent

A Thread was posted a few months ago in Digital Coaching asking muscle up to back lever?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4827

2nd page has Demus doing one and a few other vids

Be amazed :shock:

w3UGG2O6FPw

Its like a MU> RTO Dip> BL

David Barclay

Thank you for the workout, and a quick question. Would Ring Strength #1 be a good substitute for first part of this workout?

Any other ideas in the spirit of the workout would be appreciated.

yours,

David

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Nugget said:
A Thread was posted a few months ago in Digital Coaching asking muscle up to back lever?

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... f=7&t=4827

2nd page has Demus doing one and a few other vids

Be amazed :shock:

w3UGG2O6FPw

Its like a MU> RTO Dip> BL

AH YA.. FOR SURE I'LL DO IT!! HAHAHAHA ... :shock:

Coach Sommer
David Barclay said:
... Would Ring Strength #1 be a good substitute for first part of this workout? ...

Yes, it would. Although you may find it more interesting to retain the exercise selection of Ring Strength 1 and reconfiguring them to more closely match today's GB WOD; e.g. by performing two Ring Strength 1 series in a row.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Niels Joergensen

This was a tough ring strength series! :twisted:

Unfortunately i didn't film it today but I plan to do so later on. :)

Velocity

So, I'm in the stages of planning out this WOD due to all the scaling down I have to do. :mrgreen: Is this an acceptable progression?

Negative MU

Pull up into tuck BL (flat tuck?)

Out to tuck front lever

Down to hang

Pull-up*

Dip*

Pull-up*

Dip*

XR L-sit tuck

XR support position x 15-20 seconds

Roll back to back lever (flat?) tuck

Forward to FL tuck

* This would take the place of the muscle-up, forward roll to muscle-up in the sequence. I'm curious as to what to do here with regard to the forward roll. I've not done them before at all, so is there some preliminary step to the forward roll? Also, since I can't do a full MU yet, how should I handle this sequence: is what I have okay, or should I do two negative MU instead of the pull-up/dip repetitions I've listed?

Coach Sommer

This is a fine substitution and yes I would go with the two negative MUs. At this time I would not attempt to replace the forward roll.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane

Just finished todays Wod. Had no power today :? Could still feel yesterdays Wod

Velocity

So it's done... tough! But fun and challenging all at once.

Warmup:

L-sit work on parallettes -- 4 x 15 seconds of bent leg straddle

German hang practice -- 4 x 15 seconds

WOD: 3 x the following

Velocity said:
Negative MU

Pull up into tuck BL **

Out to tuck front lever

Down to hang

2 negative MU

XR L-sit tuck

XR support position x 15-20 seconds

Roll back to tuck BL **

Forward to FL tuck

(with 3-minute rest between rounds)

**I think I was closer to a flat tuck BL than a full tuck BL, but without video or someone to look at it, I couldn't quite tell. It was definitely closer to flat tuck IMO.

5 x the following

15 seconds tuck FL

15 seconds wall HS

15 seconds German hang

1 minute rest

2 x 10 Wall Extensions

NOTE: Before starting my warmup/FSP, I tried out a negative MU, since the last time I had tried one, I failed miserably. Well, it didn't go quite as poorly as the first time, but still sloppy. Then to my pleasant surprise, when I did them during the WOD (except for the final negative MU in rounds 2 and 3), I managed to do them with decent form! I have to work on the descent from the point of transition, because those were too quick (but lowering from the dip down to the transition was nice and slow). The transition wasn't the easiest, but I managed it rather well.

Ryan Libke

Egads, this looks tough! I got tired just watching gregorgym's video. Looking forward to trying it, though!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Today was hard to be honest. I wasn't extremely good, but I still put my heart into this like everything.

WU:

2 Rounds:

300m Row

5 Ring Pullups

5 Ring Dips

1 Muscle Up Strict Narrow

15s Back Lever (Flat Tuck)

15s Front Lever (Tuck)

WOD:

3 sets:

Wide Muscle Up to Back Lever (Straddle), pullout to Front Lever (Flat Tuck); Lower to Hang, Narrow MU, Forward Roll MU, L-Sit, Press to Shoulder Stand, Press out to 10s Wide Support Hold (working on my cross now), Back Lever (Full), Front Lever(Flat Tuck)

Rest 5 mins

5 sets:

15s XR Strap HSPU

15s Front Lever (Flat Tuck)

15s German Hang on Pullup Bar

Rest 1mins

Finish with 2 x 10 Shoulder Girdle Push & 2 x 10 Wall Extensions. Stretch.

uF83L--JAR8

Jason Stein

Velocity,

Congrats. You are becoming stronger. Good work.

Germans felt okay, and TUCK BL felt okay, too, though I'm taking it easy on these.

best,

j

A. Arm, Leg DROM

B. Band Dislocate x10

C. I-T-Y x10/ea

D1. German hangs 3x5;

D2. Box Bridge 3x5+5seconds;

D3. Eagle Pulls 3x5

E. Wrist Circuit x1

F. Ring Circuits x3

MU to TUCK BL, pull to FLAT TUCK FL, lower to hang, MU, forward roll to MU, L-sit, Press Shoulderstand, Press to Support x10seconds, roll to TUCK BL, FLAT TUCK FL

G1. FLAT TUCK FL 5x15s;

G2. RING HS 5x15s;

G3. German Hang 5x15s; rest 30-60seconds.

H. I-T-Y x10/ea.

I. Bridge 5x10+10second hold

Joshua Naterman

Wow, that was fun! I tried the MU to BL, just to see, and there is absolutely no way I can do that right now. Instead I did the MU and then lowered back down into BL, which had to be supported by a foot for the last two thirds of the movement. My forward roll is still non-existent and like many others I was a bit tired from yesterday's WOD. My third set today was my strongest, strangely enough!

Kenneth Manning

Yesterday's WOD was a disaster, so I really went after this one (you ever find you punish yourself the day after a crappy performance? :D )

Today's WOD (scaled):

3 sets of:

MU-->backward roll to BL-->pullout to adv tuck FL-->hang-->MU-->L sit-->tuck shoulder stand x 2-->XR support (10 sec)-->forward roll to invert-->BL-->adv tuck FL

5 sets of:

MU-->forward roll (practicing these)-->adv tuck FL (15 sec)-->BL (3 sec)-->german hang (15 sec); drop from rings and planche leans (15 sec)

wall extensions 2x10

David Beckerman

Coach and others,

Thank you for ideas on how to scale this down. I'll see how this goes.

Edit: Tried this one out.

FSP.

HeS 3x20sec

L-Sit (low) 3x11sec

Frog stands 4 x 15 sec

Dead Hang 4 x 15sec

Top of Pull up hang 3 x 7 sec

WOD:

Basic Ring series 1 x 2 for 3 sets. Had to put my feet on the ground going from dead hand post pull up to inverted hang to jump into it. Everything was done in the tuck position and I got a small ROM from inverted hang to tuck BL. Also I had to jump off the rings after every rep.

First time I have tried this and it was hard but it really made my shoulders feel great after wards

3 x 8sec FL tuck from dead hang

2 x 30 sec XR support

2 x 30 sec reverse planche (I had nothing left in my grip to be able to do the German Hangs)

2x10 Floor extensions

Cheers,

Dave

Nic Scheelings
gymgreg said:
Curious to see Demus or Dillon doing the the WOD.

Unfortunately my gym is closed until next week :x and the weather is so bad going to the park is not really an option so i'll have to catch up on this one then, but I'm keen to try it looks challenging and fun.

gymgreg
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
... but I still put my heart into this like everything.

That's what it's all about.

Demus said:

Unfortunately my gym is closed until next week :x and the weather is so bad going to the park is not really an option so i'll have to catch up on this one then, but I'm keen to try it looks challenging and fun.

No hurry. Your MU to BL video is still very inspiring.

High fives to everybody who did the WOD.

Michael Traynor

Enjoyed this workout yesterday, always fun to try new movements and surpirsed myself with the MU to BL - still too ugly to post the video but thanks coach for the WOD :)

Ryan Libke

Tried the workout yesterday, and liked it tremendously. I think I am also in the "too ugly to post" camp, though. My biceps are sore today! I scaled the workout by using a tuck on the BL and FL moves. I struggled with keeping a false grip where it seemed necessary.