This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lex's Workout Log

Started by lex4158, January 10, 2011 · 47 Replies · 2,808 Views

lex4158

Hey guys, 21 y.o. University student here. Stats as of this date, Height 5'9, weight 155lb. I have lifted consistently for about 4 years, I've done powerlifting, bodybuilding, and conditioning.

I have read BTGB and have browsed this site and its stickies a great amount.

My goals are to progress through the various exercises in the book, be able to do muscle ups, handstand pushups, all of the good stuff.

I have created my own routine based on the advice in BTGB, I have overtrained in the past and would like to avoid it by scaling down and working my way up.

Here is my routine

Warmup (before every workout)

60s planche

60s handstand against the wall

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever - tuck.

60s L-sit

Workout M/W/F

1- - 3x5 Dips - PB

- 3x5 Pullups

- 3x5 V-ups – tuck

- 3x5 Deck Squats (will do w/ weight vest if too easy)

2- - 3x5 Pushups – FX

- 3x5 Rows Ground

- 3x5 V-ups – straddle

- 3x5 SLS - Graduated

3- - 3x5 Dips

- 3x5 Chinups L

- 3x5 HLL - V to L

- 3x5 Lower Back/hamstrings

lex4158

1/9/2010

Warmup

(Frog Planche getting better, wrists seem stronger and I can hold it much longer)

(against the wall handstand needs work)

(L sit getting better)

- 3x5 Dips

- 3x5 Chinups L

- 3x5 HLL - V to L

- 3x5 Lower Back/hamstrings Curl Ups (bodyweight, 5lbs, 25lbs)

lex4158

30 mins of Cardio today

10 min Stair stepper

10 min treadmill (0.9 miles total)

10 min exercise bike

lex4158

Today I was still a bit sore in my core from my previous workout.

For my warmup I stretched, 10 mins.

60s Wall Handstand (plus free handstand, I held it for about 4 seconds, my balance is getting better)

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

workout

3x5 Pushups – FX

3x5 Rows Ground

3x5 Deck Squats

I went light, low intensity as I was not fully recovered enough to do core work from my previous workout.

lex4158

Cardio today

30 mins total

10 min stairsteper

10 min treadmill (0.9 miles total)

10 min exercise bike

lex4158

Workout today

Warmup

60s Planche-frog stand (greatly improving in this, I can hold it for 10+ seconds now)

60s handstand against the wall

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever-tuck

60s L sit PB (improving in this as well)

Workout

3x5 dips

3x5 pull ups (can almost do them L)

3x5 v ups-tuck

3x5 SLS (still using a box but definitely improving)

lex4158

Cardio (higher intensity today)

10 min stairstepper

10 min treadmill (1.0 miles total)

10 min stationary bike

lex4158

This was yesterdays work out 1/17/2011

60s Planche-frog stand

60s handstand against the wall

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever-tuck

60s L sit PB

3x5 Pushups xr (awesome w/ my new rings)

3x5 Rows xr elevated

3x5 v-ups straddle

3x5 deck squats

Afternoon- 4 mile hike

lex4158

The past 2 nights I have not gotten enough sleep due to what I think is stress from school.

Cardio today

10 min stairstepper

10 min stationary bike

1 mile jog, 8 min 30 secs.

about 2 miles total of walking to and from class all day as well.

lex4158

This was yesterdays workout (1/20/2011)

60s Planche-frog stand (this is a breeze now)

60s handstand against the wall (improving in holding it, and can almost get about 5 seconds free stand)

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever-tuck

60s L sit PB (much stronger in this as well)

3x5 Chins L (finally am able to do them w/ an L)

3x5 HLL V to L

3x5 SLS (still can go all the way down, still using a box)

(did not have access to dips, will make up later).

lex4158

Workout today

60s Planche-frog stand

60s handstand against the wall

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever-tuck

60s L sit PB

3x5 pushups xr

3x5 rows xr

3x5 deck squats

lex4158

Workout 1/24/2010

Cardio

10 min stairstepper

10 min stationary bike

10 min jump rope

lex4158

Workout today

I got a great nights sleep, felt very good however the strength wasn't there today for some reason.

60s Planche-frog stand

60s handstand against the wall

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever-tuck (only did 7)

60s L sit PB (only did 6)

3x5 Pull ups L

3x5 dips (almost can do 3 of them in L)

3x5 Hanging leg lifts VL

I think I am going to switch my workout days from 3 days on 1 off to 2 days on 1 off. That way I can have more time in between actual strength days.

lex4158

Cardio day

15 min stair stepper

10 min treadmill (.9 miles total)

10 min row

5 min stationary bike

lex4158

Workout today

60s Planche-frog stand (this is a breeze now)

60s handstand against the wall (finally got 2 30 sec stands against the wall!)

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever-tuck (This was also a breeze)

60s L sit PB (getting strogner)

3x5 pushups xr

3x5 rows xr

3x5 SLS (getting stronger here too, still can't go all the way down)

3x5 V ups

I also did 3 reps of dips on the rings. I feel I am getting much stronger on the rings and in general w/ these exercises. I have run this routine almost 4 weeks. I think I am going to go into harder variations for some of these exercises for another 4 weeks, then take a week off. Also, I believe doing this workout every 3rd day, I am much stronger then when I do it after only a one day layoff.

Overall, progress=happiness.

lex4158

Cardio day

15 min stair stepper

10 min treadmill (.9 miles total)

10 min row

10 min stationary bike

lex4158

Today I modified my routine a bit after running the first 4 weeks succesfuly. Now I am putting harder variations of exercises in this new one.

Here is the routine (I will do 1 of the workouts every 3 days, as I have been doing the last few weeks w/ good recovery/results.)

60s L-sit - PB advanced

60s Manna - MSH bent

60s Back Lever - tuck

60s Front Lever - flat tuck

60s Planche - advanced frog stand

60s HeSPU (plus free handstand work)

Day 1

3x5 Dips – XR

3x5 Chin-ups – L

3x5 V-ups

3x5 Windshield wipers – supine

3x5 Deck Squats - jumping

Day 2

3x5 Pushups - XR Bulgarian

3x5 Rows - XR Bulgarian

3x5 L-sit lift (or HLL - weighted at ankles)

3x5 SLS - Graduated

lex4158

Workout today

60s L-sit - PB advanced

60s Manna - MSH bent

60s Back Lever - tuck

60s Front Lever - flat tuck

60s Planche - advanced frog stand (had trouble w/ form on this)

60s HeSPU (plus free handstand work)

Day 1

3x5 Dips – XR (really tough but rewarding)

3x5 Chin-ups – L

3x5 V-ups

3x5 Windshield wipers – supine

3x5 Deck Squats - jumping

lex4158

Cardio day

treadmill 10 mins (.9 miles total)

stairstepper 15 mins

row- 10 mins

jumprope-10 mins

swarovski

you may have missed few stickies, as far as I know you first have to work to 3*30 on:

- L-sit on floor before planche progression, you won't advance without a solid L-sit with locked elbows.

- PB support and XR support are among prerequisites for planche as well. They must be performed with locked elbows which means turning them out and keeping your chest open.

-Manna work can (and probably should) be posponed. once you have a good L-sit, work to keep your back straight, your chest open and pulling your hips in front of your arms.

hope it helps.

lex4158
swarovski said:
you may have missed few stickies, as far as I know you first have to work to 3*30 on:

- L-sit on floor before planche progression, you won't advance without a solid L-sit with locked elbows.

- PB support and XR support are among prerequisites for planche as well. They must be performed with locked elbows which means turning them out and keeping your chest open.

-Manna work can (and probably should) be posponed. once you have a good L-sit, work to keep your back straight, your chest open and pulling your hips in front of your arms.

hope it helps.

Thanks, i'll take your advice into account.

Do you think I should work on getting 3*30 on floor L-Sits before going advanced? I'm currently doing L-Sit PB advanced with good progression. And my Advanced Frog stand Planche is progressing too.

lex4158

Workout today

60s L-sit - PB advanced

60s Manna - MSH bent

60s Front Lever - flat tuck

60s Planche - advanced frog stand

60s HeSPU (plus free handstand work)

3x5 Pushups - XR Bulgarian

3x5 Rows - XR Bulgarian

3x5 v-ups

3x5 SLS - Graduated

swarovski

sorry, I'm just a beginner, I'v read a lot but I still have to make my way into this way of training. I was just suggesting you to search better on prerequisites. I'm still confused on many topics as it seems that people can risk injuries working on exercises for which they're not strong enough, still you can also find suggestions on introducing advanced element to condition tendons and joints. I do get lost sometimes so I prefer to err on the safe side given that I also carry many past injuries.

lex4158
swarovski said:
sorry, I'm just a beginner, I'v read a lot but I still have to make my way into this way of training. I was just suggesting you to search better on prerequisites. I'm still confused on many topics as it seems that people can risk injuries working on exercises for which they're not strong enough, still you can also find suggestions on introducing advanced element to condition tendons and joints. I do get lost sometimes so I prefer to err on the safe side given that I also carry many past injuries.

I'm in the same boat, I have read most of the stickys and the book. I don't think I am risking injury as I am progressing steadily.

lex4158

I re-read some of the book and realized I switched to harder progressions too quickly. It states to run a steady state training cycle for 8-12 weeks. I will switch back to my first routines/progressions for another 6 weeks then take a week off.

I will also cut cardio down to 30 mins instead of 45.