Questions from a newbie

Started by Erin Roepke, January 9, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,183 Views

Erin Roepke

Hello! This is the first time I've posted here and I just had some questions about how often to train. I read in one post on here that a new person could make progress training as little as twice a week. I was wondering if it would be productive to train four days a week, but to do separate exercises on those four days, like one day for pushing exercises, one day for pulling, etc. I thought it would maybe be ok because the static holds like planche, back lever and front lever seem to work just about every part of your body, so I thought it would still be like working your whole upper body more than once a week, and it would result in really short workouts (I hardly have any time to work out). Would this training schedule still yield results, or would it be unproductive to train this way?

Also, I had a question about static holds. I can only hold a tuck front lever for like a second (or maybe less, I don't know). Since this is the easiest fl progression, and I can't hold it for 3-5 seconds like the book says, what should I do? Should I just work on rows for a while and then try it again, or should I keep trying to hold it for more than 1 second? Any help is truly appreciated! And sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. :D

Philip Chubb

The first question depends on your own work capacity and how much you put into a session. Try it out and see. And if you don't have much time for working out then what other choice is there? Go for it and don't worry. The second question about the levers is to try something else for now. One second isn't going to build volume very well but it is a good progress sign. Try doing some front lever negatives and rows and then come back to the front levers. That will allow you to build volume.

Erin Roepke

Thanks! I'll try it. :D