which muscle fibers do gymnasts have more of?

Started by Bonn, January 9, 2011 · 3 Replies · 6,507 Views

Bonn

I'm just wondering do they develop more type I muscle fibers or type II muscle fibers? Or is it an equal balance?

Philip Chubb

It isn't so much that gymnast have a certain type. That is something you are born with. You can train them to act like different types though. So gymnast muscle fibers would be trained to be explosive. Hope that helped.

Razz

Hmm not just explosive, Rings certainly can't rely purely on the most explosive fibers. There has been another thread on this where I remember Braindx wrote something about it.

Philip Chubb

Very true. I was speaking in general. But the max strength aspects would be different. Slizzardman wrote a lot about this and high level gymnast and the differences between all arounders and ring specialist.