This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110106

Started by Coach Sommer, January 6, 2011 · 12 Replies · 1,938 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform 3 rounds of the following:

5 SLS (each leg)

5 NLC

30m Sled/tire Sprint

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) This workout should be performed as a modified giant set. To this end perform the SLS (5 on each leg) then rest 60 sec, perform the NLC then rest 60 sec, finally perform the sled/tire sprints and then rest 5 minutes before beginning the next modified giant set.

2) Add as much weight as possible to the SLS while still maintaining correct technique and control. Do not be afraid to challenge yourself here.

3) Use only the minimum momentum necessary to complete the NLC.

4) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous.

5) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possible even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

6) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

Mathias Flækøy

NLC?

Edit - Oh, second time i'm asking for this, sorry!

Coach Sommer

WOD Acronyms

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sooner0430

I have performed the hip extentions several times since starting the WOD's, however i am not sure that i am doing them correctly. I have read the description by george and understand the straight and side but the circular is what im not sure about. What i am currently doing now is bringing my knee up - extending my leg - then circleing my leg around behind me - then placing it back on the ground while my body stays facing forward. Is this the correct? Sorry i cant make a video of what im doing. I hope i have been clear.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Squatchy
Sooner0430 said:
I have performed the hip extentions several times since starting the WOD's, however i am not sure that i am doing them correctly. I have read the description by george and understand the straight and side but the circular is what im not sure about. What i am currently doing now is bringing my knee up - extending my leg - then circleing my leg around behind me - then placing it back on the ground while my body stays facing forward. Is this the correct? Sorry i cant make a video of what im doing. I hope i have been clear.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to extend your leg forward, then circle your leg all the way around to your rear, then circle it back forward again for 1 complete rep of hip circles.

Coach Sommer said:

I have my athletes perform 1x10 extending each leg forward, 1x10 extending each leg sideways and 1x10 extending forward and then circling sideways all the way to the rear and then returning back to the front (this constitutes one rep of "hip circles").

Sooner0430

Thank you Squatchy. I have only been performing the circles half way.

Thanks again

Brett

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

10 GHDs

AMRAP of 3 mins of 9-6-3:

Ring Pushups

Box Jumps (24")

3 Rounds

FSP:

3 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 15s, 15s, 15s)

WOD:

3 Rounds:

5 SLS/Leg (10#)

Rest 60s

5 NLC

Rest 60s

100m Row Sprint (Damper = 10; 17.3, 16.9, 16.9)

Rest 5 mins

Finish with 3 x 10 Hip Extensions (Front, Side, Circular); 2 x 10 Shoulder Girlde Push. Stretch.

Question: Are we supposed to feel tension in upper calves from NLC? I know we are on floor and my toes are pointed which leads to this factor but please correct me if needed for technique and safety thanks!

Velocity

WU:

L-sit practice -- bent leg, legs straddled, thighs close to parallel

WOD:

5 SLS -- body weight only (left leg squats were easy, right leg were more challenging - less flexibility there; could probably add weight to left leg, but I want to be balanced before adding weight)

1:00 rest

5 NLC -- body weight only

1:00 rest

30 m sprint with partner holding harness

x3

3 x 10 Hip Extensions as prescribed -- those suckers aren't easy! haha First time I've ever done that, though in the past I have (without knowing of it) done static hip extension work.

SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
Question: Are we supposed to feel tension in upper calves from NLC? I know we are on floor and my toes are pointed which leads to this factor but please correct me if needed for technique and safety thanks!

I felt the same thing. I'll ditto this question.

Kenneth Manning

Todays WOD:

3 rounds

SLS 40 lbs x 5,5,5

NLC (mini jumpstretch band assist) 5,5,5

Power cleans 165x5,5,5

Hip extensions 3x10

Joshua Naterman

As far as the upper calves go, that is probably due to hamstring tension. At first my calves cramped up like crazy during NLC but that faded quickly. I don't know if that is what is happening to you guys or not. For me, it was the combination of lots of tension and the already shortened calf position that caused the cramping for me, but you are probably always going to feel tension. I still feel it, but there is no pain or anything.

I don't know what Coach or Dillon has to say about that, if anything.

Velocity
slizzardman said:
As far as the upper calves go, that is probably due to hamstring tension. At first my calves cramped up like crazy during NLC but that faded quickly. I don't know if that is what is happening to you guys or not. For me, it was the combination of lots of tension and the already shortened calf position that caused the cramping for me, but you are probably always going to feel tension. I still feel it, but there is no pain or anything.

I don't know what Coach or Dillon has to say about that, if anything.

I tend to not cramp much (just a couple reps of all that I did today involved a calf cramping feeling), but there definitely is tension in the upper calf region.

Jason Stein

Uncorked the brand-new Westside "Butcher" sled today.

I must say, I quite like it.

I haven't done SLS for quite a while, and I've always liked them. This was a good one.

A. Arm, Leg D-ROM

B. Dislocates x10

C. Squat x10+60sec hold

D. Low Squat Rotations

E. High Squat Rotations

F1. 3x Bridge 5+5s

F2. 3x Eagle Pulls x3

G. One-Arm Work

H1. 3x SLS x5 @ 25#

H2. 3x NLC x5 @ BW

H3. 3x 30m Prowler Push; rest 5 min.

I. 3x10 Leg Extensions @ 1.5#/ea.

Joshua Naterman

4 sets of 5 SLS negatives per leg, 7-10s each.

3 sets NLC and GHR negatives and strong range reps. I don't know how to quantify this except it was hard and I'm going to be sore.

So, the calves actually attach to the femur. You will always feel tension there during NLC unless you were born without calves. Just an interesting note that I thought I would share!

It was cold and night time so I did straight leg toe hops instead of sled sprints.