This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Svend's video log!

Started by Svend, January 6, 2011 · 27 Replies · 4,303 Views

Svend

Hey buff people!

So I've decided to create a video log. I know I won't be diligent to update a regular workout log so I thought I'd just commit myself to post videos every once in a while instead. This way everyone including me can still track my progress. :D

I won't tell an awful lot about myself since it's pretty late and I'm even sleepier, but you probably will want to know this:

- I'm an 18 year old Dane

- I'm about 177 cm tall and I weigh just around 65 kg

- I've been strength training since August 2007. At that time I started attending a weight lifting class in an American High School. About 10 months later I returned to Denmark and enrolled in the local "globogym". Slowly I got smarter about strength training and for a year ago I read Coach's "Building the Olympic Body" and started doing plenty of front lever work and some planche work. In March I got a copy of the book. In May I got my rings. In August I stopped weightlifting and started doing the WODs. I'm happy about that choice! :lol: Some of my friends are really into parkour and therefore I taught myself the muscle-up for about 2 years ago. Other than that I have no gymnastic experience before August.

Ok, so that turned out being pretty detailed after all. Anyway, questions are always welcome. Here's a video shot the day before yesterday to get this thread going:

oMsJycHZaSw

That day I had my first legitimate go at a straddle planche. My straddle flexibility is quite poor so I'm pretty excited about this. Also my first somewhat succesful kip to L support. Feel free to comment! More videos to come soon!

Svend

Yesterday i filmed quite a bit to give a more complete insight in my current strength level. Comments on form or tips to better execution are welcome! :D

MPXjvefZpAM

Svend

2nd round of yesterday's WOD

yiqyGoAjNc8

Brutal!

Razz

Very cool video log! You're better at cirques than me I think ;)

Svend

Thanks Razz, stay tuned! Hæhæ, hey, that's quite motivating - I'd love to be able to be some sort of competition ;)

Justin Kyle

Dude, you have a very nice front lever! Front lever and planche are driving me nuts. Keep us updated, you are very strong! God bless

Justin

Svend

Thanks for the comment Ooden - it's motivating!

Ok, so I haven't had too much time to train the last week since I've been skiing in Sweden - I'll upload a video from the trip later. Here's a video from a week ago, though, where I'm doing a short ring routine:

Also, here is third set from yesterday's WOD. The form is pretty sloppy - probably due to terrible nutrition the past week and fatigue from the earlier sets - but I thought I'd upload it anyway :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpUag5mmLoo

Razz

Nice man! Very good mini ring series. On your tuck BL keep your knees together.

Svend
Razz said:
On your tuck BL keep your knees together.

Thanks for that! I tried this in my adv tuck planche and it improved my max hold tremendously - full body tension simply can't be underestimated :D

Svend

I've had some problems with my shoulder since friday. Mr Brady suggests I might just be a cramp. It's pretty much gone by now and I'm able to do front levers and tuck planches without discomfort. I'll wait a day or two before starting the WODs again though. Here's a little something from a gettogether me and my friends had the other day, though, that I thought you guys might like. This baby contained 4 lbs of meat and 2 lbs of bacon along with several scoops of barbeque sauce. Most of my friends don't really get the whole paleo concept but this they get ;)

5405444649

EDIT: How do I fix the image? I uploaded it to Flickr, made it public and posted the url within the img brackets :?

pogo69

Your link is to the flickr web page, not the image. Try the following as a url instead:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/540 ... e373e2.jpg

5405444649_556ee373e2.jpg

Oh; and it looks delicious!! I've made a few bacon wrapped meatloaves in the past; but it's been a while. Think this has re-inspired me. :D

Svend

Thanks Pogo! And it definately was very tasty ;)

Here's second set from this week's ring strength WOD as well as one set of the statics. I've had limited amounts of time to train lately and I really felt it during the WOD - my work capacity and endurance seems lower than normal which causes sloppy form. In a few weeks I should be able to do the WODs four times a week again, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEUImdUZHk

After the WOD i experimented with balancing the shoulder stand. I obviously really struggle with this - advice is very welcome!

Svend

I just thought I'd post a little update though I don't have any video ready. Last few weeks has been hectic as I've been traveling, had exams and what not. This week is winter's break which will mean incosistent but hopefully more training than the past weeks. Next week I should be up to speed again and hopefully reattain my strength, which almost certainly has decreased slightly.

Maybe I'll put up some videos of my handstand which I'm spending more time on these days and I feel it's improving quite I bit. Again, advice on balancing the shoulderstand would be much appreciated. :D

Tarun Suri

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the shoulderstand since I'm struggling quite hard with that myself (See my 110211 WOD video for example). However, I had to stop by and say that I wish I was eating some of that 4lbs. of deliciousness!

Svend

Long time, no post. Lately I've been fairly busy with school and social life so I've struggled to even keep my strength up. I do have plenty of videos but none of them would be all that interesting for anybody I think. Here, thought, are some pictures from a short acrobatics act me and one of my friends did at my school a few weeks ago. Obviously we made a lot of fun out of this (and yes, we did stuff our pants with socks) but I thought some of the pictures are kind of cool :roll:

5556099609_accacbc69f_m.jpg

5556099707_63a9c25133_m.jpg

5556099791_a61ace6cc5_m.jpg

5556685438_2b825d5301_m.jpg

5556685514_9076a151e2_m.jpg

5556685612_8b0e5be041_m.jpg

5556685676_d862b28512_m.jpg

Newguy

Haha! Nice pictures :)

About the Shoulder stand, I got a couple tips that might help you out.

1.) Don't jump into it, at your current level of strength it should be quite easy to press into. This will help you get more of a feel for the balance, and you won't run nearly as high of a risk of over compensating and falling over backwards.

2.) You are arching, just like in a HS This will not only cause it to look bad, it will make it alot harder to do the skill. Keep a good straight body with full body tension.

3.) The SS is somewhat of an opposite to the HS in terms of where you want to balance. In the HS You should have a 1% lean towards your fingers, so that you can use your finger strength to balance yourself out. However in a SS you want to have about a 3% Lean the other direction. So that you can basically rest on your shoulders, and use them like you use your fingers in a handstand, to make all the small adjustments. (Or arms, I am not sure which is technically correct :P)

Hope this helps! :)

The "NewGuy"

P.S Nice PL At the top of the page!

Razz

Nice pics man! That's why this training is all worth it even if you're not competing. You can do something fun like that :D

Svend

Still no training vids for you but one of my friends made this short video from the skiing trip I went on in january. Well, what you see here is not exactly skiing but believe me when I tell you that this is not only extremely fun and possibly dangerous but also quite the lower back workout ;)

Svend

Here's a straddle planche attempt on rings I did for fun today. My advanced tuck is getting really solid so I thought I'd give it a shot but it's obvious I'm lacking strength. It finally seems within reach though and I'm aiming to hold it before 2012 - what do you think? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxoPTBzVs4

qualitybacon

Hi Svend love your blog really inspiring. If you've got any time could you have a look at my routine and offer a bit of guidance seems like you've got your head screwed on and know what your doing. Thanks viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5724

Svend
qualitybacon said:
Hi Svend love your blog really inspiring. If you've got any time could you have a look at my routine and offer a bit of guidance seems like you've got your head screwed on and know what your doing. Thanks http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... f=9&t=5724

Thanks! I left you a comment!

Newguy said:
Haha! Nice pictures :)

About the Shoulder stand, I got a couple tips that might help you out.

1.) Don't jump into it, at your current level of strength it should be quite easy to press into. This will help you get more of a feel for the balance, and you won't run nearly as high of a risk of over compensating and falling over backwards.

2.) You are arching, just like in a HS This will not only cause it to look bad, it will make it alot harder to do the skill. Keep a good straight body with full body tension.

3.) The SS is somewhat of an opposite to the HS in terms of where you want to balance. In the HS You should have a 1% lean towards your fingers, so that you can use your finger strength to balance yourself out. However in a SS you want to have about a 3% Lean the other direction. So that you can basically rest on your shoulders, and use them like you use your fingers in a handstand, to make all the small adjustments. (Or arms, I am not sure which is technically correct :P)

Hope this helps! :)

The "NewGuy"

P.S Nice PL At the top of the page!

Thanks for the advice and the kudos! I'm aware of the above notes although I don't seem to be able to implement them in what I'm actually doing. For some reason I mange to fall over even with quite an exaggerated backwards lean. I think hours in the position is what will have to make the diffrence!

Here's a video of me attemting to press to handstand on rings without the use of the straps. Although I didn't at all succeed I feel like it helps me a lot with figuring out the balance required in a handstand. I will keep working these as skill traning as the tuck press is quite far from exhausting.

It also includes a negative straddle bower on the rings aswell. I hope these will help me develop the hollowback press to handstand! It feels pretty solid but the descend is way too fast :)

bua88b5pgRc

Newguy

Yup, if you know about that, than you just probably are not spending enough time in the skill. Although truth be told I got me SS just while toying around on the rings and not specifically training, maybe if you had a spotter who could help stay in a SS for 60 seconds or so a day that might help???

Svend

Probably. I'll spend more time in it and see what happens :)

Here's the max strength workout I did today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNr_uXlhoo

This is what I'm doing once a week (I do five sets of each exercise) as well as two dynamic days and a leg day. I just started doing HSPU's stomach to wall which actually makes a lot more sense but also is much harder. I feel embarrased only doing HeSPU but I'm certain this will accelerate my bower development tremendously as opposed to doing back to wall! The curls are band assisted for your information - otherwise I would be a beast :D

Svend

I recently added another weekly max strength day which consists of straight arm work. Here's what I did today (I'm doing 5 sets of each movement).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKERKUNBN7E

I'm going a bit easy on the 360 pulls as it's quite strenous on the elbows. I haven't felt any discomfort yet but I'll ramp up the volume a bit before attempting doing them in a straddle position. First time I'm doing actual cross work and it feels fine - I think I'm feeling the technique which is good. The HS presses are pathetic but I feel like I'm getting much more out of doing them this way than doing presses to headstand. I did a few freestanding with a spot today and I'm actually somewhat close I think - my flexibility is horrible though and definately holding me back!!

Svend

Last friday I tried playing around with crosses and planches in the pulley system. Oddly the planche is much more difficult than both the maltese and the victorian. I don't think it's a strength issue as much as it is a balance issue, though. All in all lots of fun! :D Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqLBZ0gYcVE