This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110104

Started by Coach Sommer, January 4, 2011 · 13 Replies · 2,357 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete four rounds:

5 Russian Dips

10 PB Dips

15 Swinging Dips

20’ L-sit walks

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) After the Russian Dips move immediately to the PB Dips.

2) After the PB Dips move immediately to the Swinging Dips.

3) After the Swinging Dips move immediately to the L-sit Walks.

4) The L-sit Walks should be performed with an all out effort. As such, do your very best to not pause during the 20’ of L-sit Walks.

5) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

6) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement.

David Barclay

Hi there, thank you for the workout.

I am at work, and without rings. And I will not be confused for a strong gymnast.

Would this scaling make sense?

4 rounds:

5 x straight bar dips

10 x normal dips (dip station)

5 clapping push ups (more than two sets of dips in a row is not possible for me to do four times)

20' ag walks

thanks,

David

Velocity

I'm in a similar situation, though I do have ring access. The Russian and PB dips are easily scalable, but the swinging dips are giving me more of a problem in deciding how to scale down to something I can do 15 times for four rounds.

David Barclay

I am continually surprised at the differences in conventional weight training and workouts like this.

I followed my scaling, but found after the straight bar dips the best I could consistently do was 6 normal dips and count them... TWO clapping pushup for the four rounds.

Cue someone to tell me it will get better. :)

thanks again for the great WODs,

David

Jason Stein

Hey David,

It will get better...however, you'll also scale up in progressions. So it won't get easier.

My thought on the conditioning workout: Scale your exercise progressions for your THIRD and FOURTH rounds.

I have had your experience, that is, to feel strong first and second rounds, but then hit a HARSH performance decline in final rounds.

It can be a big ego check to scale down to jumping dips, for example, but if you do and you can make almost all reps in all sets, you're on the right path.

Based on Coach Sommer's past workouts, I would have placed the clapping push-ups as the first and lowest volume exercise, then followed it with non-plyo explosive work, and finally the higher rep work. But that's just me.

Anyways, best of luck with these. They are fun, though if approached incorrectly they will waste you.

regards,

jason

Today was a P-bar complex. Don't let go. I scaled swinging dips to P-bar swings.

I made all Russian Dips, Dips and Swings without dropping. However, by round 2 my L-sit Walk was FRIED into 4-foot intervals.

A. D-ROM

B. I-T-Y 15x/ea

C. Band Dislocates x10

D1. 3x Eagle Dislocates x5

D2. 3x Bridge 5+5s

E. One-arm HS Work

F. 4x

5 Russian Dips

10 PB Dips

15 PB Swings

20-foot L-sit Walk

G1. 3x Eagle Dislocates x5

G2. 3x Bridge x10+10s

H. Wrist Circuit x2

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

Triple Unders Practice

2 Rounds:

12 Shoulder Dislocates

5 Behind the Neck Wide Pullups

3 HeSPU Facing Wall

1 HeSPU on Parallettes Followed by 3 Negatives

12 Pushups

FSP:

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 15s, 17s) Its officially better I have enough support strength now to focus on improving my floor L-Sit. Gonna make this my main focus and increasing it by 3, Manna and Straddle Stay same.

WOD:

4 Rounds:

5 Russian Dips (20# Vest)

10 PB Dips (20# Vest)

15 Swinging Dips (XR and 20# Vest)

10' L-Sit Walk/Hops (more like stumbles but I can take 2, 3 steps)

Finish with 1 x 15 Wrist Pushups on Knees, 1 x 10 Wrist Pushups. Stretch.

My pectorals and triceps muscles have worked hard. They are extrememly sore now hahaha LOVE IT! WOOOOOOOT! I hope they heal by Thursday lol.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD

Russian dips 5,5,5,5

PB dips 10, 10, 8+2, 7+3

swinging dips 15, 12+3, 10+3+2, 8+4+3

L sit (low) x 30 sec x 4 sets

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Brutal.

Velocity
jasonmstein said:
Based on Coach Sommer's past workouts, I would have placed the clapping push-ups as the first and lowest volume exercise, then followed it with non-plyo explosive work, and finally the higher rep work. But that's just me.

Probably a good idea, perhaps seeing this might have changed how I approached today's WOD. This is how I broke it down...

Warmup:

1) Frog stand practice -- Balance still the problem with me. Strength is no issue, but getting comfortable in the stance and keeping that stance are problematic. Best hold was probably about ten seconds. The other three were in that neighborhood, maybe a few seconds shorter.

2) L-sit practice on parallettes -- Currently at a bent-leg straddle. Depending on how far up I go, toward parallel with the upper legs, the best hold is ~15 seconds.

WOD:

5 full PB dips -- I have a sticking point in my left shoulder that has hampered my progress with dips for a couple years now. I was happy to see that I could handle these.

10 full PB dips, one leg supported on bed behind me -- Same as above.

5, 7, 7, 6 clap/ballistic pushups -- Fourth round I couldn't manage to clap.

20' Ag walks -- These are difficult for me at the moment because of space constraints as well as how I have to do them. I'm on a carpeted surface and need a "slider" on which to rest my feet. While it works, I have problems with maintaining proper 'step' length as well as comparable step length from side to side.

x4

2 x 10 wall wrist pushups

AJ Ruffer

I use a frisbee, works great. Before that, I used an extra tupperware lid that didn't have a mate.

Joshua Naterman

Well, this was fun!

4 rounds:

4,3,3,3 Russian dips

10 pb/partial Russians, basically a bit more elbow angle than a normal PB dip but not too much

15-20 swings to parallel or slightly above

20s tuck L sit hold

This was fun. I have gotten weak in my pressing as I have not been doing anything at all in order to facilitate my shoulder recovery but I decided to work a bit today since my trigger point and MAT sessions have had such a great effect on my shoulder. I felt absolutely no pain, and thanks to the MAT I was able to use muscles in my right shoulder girdle that were partially shut down before. It is amazing how some simple palpations can wake muscles back up. It was pretty close to magic. Anyhow I am very excited about all of this and I hope that by the end of the summer all of my inflammation will be gone and I will be back up to speed!

Eddie Stelling

FSP in the morning

4 rounds:

5 Russian dips

10 PB dips

15 (8, 7 each round)

20ft L sit walks with 1 foot on the ground (switched feet at 10 ft.)

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD

No FSP Warm up

4 rds:

5 Russian Dips

10 PB Dips

15 Swinging Dips (half ROM)

20' L-Sit Walk (butt dragging)

rested 3 min between rds

Finished with 2 x10 wrist pushups elevated

Edward Henigin

Warmup: 2 rounds of 60s jump rope, 20 lunges, 8x -90# chinups, 8x -90# dips (on the chinup/dip assistance machine)

3 rounds of:

5 Russian dips with 110# assistance

10 dips with 110# assistance

15 swings on the unassisted dip station

15-20 seconds of L-sit tuck hold

2x 10 reps wrist "pushups" -- actually just leaning & pushing pushing on a wall, with toes 2' from the wall

What a true adult beginner looks like :-) The nice thing is, there's no where to go but up from here (!)

These things really are amazing in letting me scale intensity while keeping a full ROM and trying to do all the reps. I'm glad my gym has one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YFTQFAr-L._SS500_.jpg

Jason Stein
Velocity said:
I'm on a carpeted surface and need a "slider" on which to rest my feet.

Velocity,

A frisbee as mentioned would work great. Maybe also a cheap round cake pan or tin. Little bit of Teflon will help.

best of luck,

j