Starting out - question.

Started by driftwood, January 3, 2011 · 7 Replies · 2,400 Views

driftwood

Hey folks

I am starting a basic workout soon and was hoping to get a couple questions answered. As suggested in the book I will start by doing, each day (other day), a press, pull, core and leg exercise. I am starting out with the simplest possible routine for 8weeks to condition/prepare my body.

My two questions are :

1.) How do the Fundamental Static Positions figure in? Should they also be added as part of the work out?

2.) What is the warmup and warm down recommended?

Thanks!

Alexander Moreen

Your questions are answered together. Your warmup should be active stretching, the fsp holds plus handstands and hollow/arch holds, and easier versions of the workout you're about to do. To figure out times for the fsps find a slizzardman post and check his YouTube page from his signature and look for a fsp warmup video. Warm down is really whatever you want, but that's where I normally put static stretching and rehab/prehab stuff.

driftwood

Thanks.

Ok Just to clarify....

FSP are part of the warm up then which also includes stretching.

when you say "handstands and hollow/arch hold" wouldn't that be part of the main work out.

Here is an example of a routine for a day.

Pushups - XR (.5)

Rows - XR ground (.5)

V-ups - tuck (.5)

Deck Squats (.5)

Sorry for the confusion...

Alexander Moreen

Some days may include extra handstand and straight body work such as working on presses, handstand pushups, wall runs etc.. but each workout day should include a few minutes of good quality handstand work whether its before or after the actual workout. Hollow and arch holds are the most basic of basic positions, and you should definitely use some variation of each in your warmup, be it just statics or hollow/arch rocks.

driftwood

isn't a Handstand considered part of a "push" routine and not a pre or post workout?

thesystematic

Generally not. It depends how difficult the handstand is - if you're doing handstands just to get the strength to stay upright, then it's part of a push workout. If you have the strength, and instead are working on balance, it's more skill training....so pre or post workout is fine.

driftwood

ah ok...I think it is starting to make sense.

I went through the book and made a chart with all the exercises and their difficulty levels ( I need to proof it, I think I got some levels off) as well as if it is a push pull etc.

So what I did was go and pick the easiest exercises from each category

So I will be working my way through all the levels and it looks like the Handstand stuff is higher difficulty..

I have now successfully confused myself because FSP are not a push pull?

Cole Dano

The FSP are can be thought of as push pull as well, but they can blur the distinctions.

However in practice the general advice is to run through them all to the point where you are in the progression.