New here, 21 y.o. Can't wait to start

Started by lex4158, January 3, 2011 · 6 Replies · 3,601 Views

lex4158

Hey guys, I am a 21 y.o. male University student. I have been lifting weights for about 4 years, have done bodybuilding, powerlifting, and condititioning. Height 5'9, weight 155lb.

I can do around 13-15 chins, 11-13 pullups, 15 dips, and can squat my bodyweight 7-8 times.

I have my own copy of BTGB and have read it this past week, I have also browsed and read through forum stickies for a few hours.

I created my own routine based on advice from the forum and from BTGB, unfortunately I do not have access to real parallel bars or rings but do have the University gym and outside straight bars.

MY GOALS: to progress through the variations listed in BTGB, eventually be able to do muscle ups and various exercises on rings. I like the idea of being able to get better at each exercise until eventual perfection. (I will move onto the WOD's once I get the form and exercises down).

I found this "Beginner Warmup" on this forum and would like to implement it into my routine.

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever - tuck.

60s chin up grip dead hang

Here is my routine, it is M/W/F I plan to run it for 8 weeks.

Monday- Warmup

- 3x5 Dips - PB Russian L

- 3x5 Pullups L

- 3x5 V-ups – tuck

- 3x5 Deck Squats (will do w/ weight vest if too easy)

Wednesday- Warmup

- 3x5 Pushups – FX

- 3x5 Rows Ground

- 3x5 V-ups – straddle

- 3x5 SLS - Graduated

Friday- Warmup

- 3x5 HeSPU – box

- 3x5 Chinups L

- 3x5 HLL - V to L

- 3x5 Lower Back/hamstrings? Or Deck Squats - jumping

I will also squeeze 2 days of 30 min cardio sessions throughout the week (usually stairmaster, row, exercise bike, or jump rope)

Quick Start Test Smith

Welcome to the forum, Lex. :)

lex4158
Patrick Smith said:
Welcome to the forum, Lex. :)

Thanks man, do you see anything I can improve as far as my routine goes? Today I tried doing L Pull ups and failed, need to work on my l-sit.

Cole Dano

Welcome to the forum!

You have more than enough strength to start with the WODs right away. If you do feel the need to start with a more constant program (which i think many of us did at first) then try not to get stuck with it. Switch to the WODs after 6 weeks.

The consensus it that its not really necessary to wait before starting the WODs however.

lex4158
Mr Brady said:
Welcome to the forum!

You have more than enough strength to start with the WODs right away. If you do feel the need to start with a more constant program (which i think many of us did at first) then try not to get stuck with it. Switch to the WODs after 6 weeks.

The consensus it that its not really necessary to wait before starting the WODs however.

Awesome, thanks. I just feel as if I need to progress on certain exercises such as L sits, handstand pushups (I can't do 1) etc.

lex4158

Im also wondering if it would be sufficient to do the WOD only M/W/F?

nf46
60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Front Lever - tuck.

60s chin up grip dead hang

Is the front lever tuck a typo, because i thought it should have been support? :)

Welcome to the forum :D

Nick F