This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110103

Started by Coach Sommer, January 3, 2011 · 26 Replies · 3,709 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo TOPs Pulls

1 Embedded PL + 5 Chest Roll to PL

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo V-up+lifts

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier MPPu/MPPr variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) NOTE: When scaling always adjust the difficulty of the FBE so that you will be able to maintain the correct tempo, sets and reps as designated in that day’s GB WOD.

3) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets. For the TOPs Pulls, this equates to a 3 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 3 second descent.

6) If Chest Rolls to PL are too difficult, scale down to a more appropriate MPPr variation.

7) If V-up+lifts are too difficult, scale down to a more appropriate V-up variation.

8 ) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Newguy

Oooh, this one looks fun :)

yuri marmerstein

chest roll to planche sounds interesting. I will let know how it goes

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

This one will suck for me :shock:

Joshua Naterman
yuri said:
chest roll to planche sounds interesting. I will let know how it goes

HAHAHA yes, you are one of the few here who can safely do that. I'll just be doing chest rolls lol!

Kenneth Manning

Ah yes.... let the scaling begin....

Today's WOD:

3 sets of:

MU-->backward roll-->reverse crank, BL hold x 15 sec + 5 tempo adv tuck TOP pulls

adv frog stand x 15 sec + tempo tuck L sit to shoulderstand and reverse* x (4+1), (2+3), 5 (parallettes)

*tempo made these tougher than I expected

MU-->forward roll--> adv tuck FL x 15 sec + 5 tempo V ups (no lift)

10 bridge wall walks

*in looking at the MPPr movements, the first variation ("easiest") was the chest roll to HeS. Now, first off, I'm just not capable of pulling this off from looking at a series of 3 pics and a 2-3 sentence description on how to execute it. I kind of flop like a fish while trying not to slam my face into the floor. But that aside, how on earth did any of you perform a chest roll to (whatever) while maintaining the prescribed tempo? When rolling from the arched back position, the book even says to muster as much speed as possible. I'm trying to imagine one completing, say, a chest roll to HeS while concentrating on a 3 second ascent and 3 second decent. Anyone?

Squatchy
killroy70 said:

*in looking at the MPPr movements, the first variation ("easiest") was the chest roll to HeS. Now, first off, I'm just not capable of pulling this off from looking at a series of 3 pics and a 2-3 sentence description on how to execute it. I kind of flop like a fish while trying not to slam my face into the floor. But that aside, how on earth did any of you perform a chest roll to (whatever) while maintaining the prescribed tempo? When rolling from the arched back position, the book even says to muster as much speed as possible. I'm trying to imagine one completing, say, a chest roll to HeS while concentrating on a 3 second ascent and 3 second decent. Anyone?

If you notice, he doesn't have Tempo listed for the chest rolls, just for the tops pulls and v-ups.

I'm in the same boat, even trying to do the chest rolls to Hes as fast as I can, I still don't come anywhere close. Maybe I should try just negatives, or maybe the L-sit to shoulder stand like you did, or maybe just some PPP's and partial or negative HeSPU's. Whats the recommended substitute for the chest rolls if you cant even do the most basic ones?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

Triple Under Practice

12 Shoulder Dislocates

5 Ring Pullups

3 HeSPU

1 HeSPU on Parralletes + 3 Neg HSPU Paralletes

5 V-Ups

FSP:

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 11s, 10s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (OHC; 8s, 8s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (XR Low; 10s, 10s)

WOD:

2 Rounds:

1 Embedded Back Lever (Straddle) + 5 tempo Naners

1 Embedded Planche (Tuck) + 5 Chest Roll to Headstand

1 Embedded Front Lever (Tuck) + 5 tempo V-Ups

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks, 3 x 10 Shoulder Girdle Push, 3 x 3 Neg HSPU, 3 x 1 Strict MU on Bar.

Stretch.

Today just sucked haha.

Kenneth Manning

Thanks Squatchy for pointing that out, I should have read the WOD description a little closer. If anyone is recording their WOD and is capable of doing a chest roll to HeS (or planche, or HS, etc..) I'd love to see it in action. Would probably give me a better understanding of how to approach building towards it.

yuri marmerstein
killroy70 said:
Thanks Squatchy for pointing that out, I should have read the WOD description a little closer. If anyone is recording their WOD and is capable of doing a chest roll to HeS (or planche, or HS, etc..) I'd love to see it in action. Would probably give me a better understanding of how to approach building towards it.

I'll see what I can do for you. Not sure yet if I can chest roll to PL but at the very least I will record my chest roll to HS for you

Jason Stein

Hey Killroy,

You could try stacking panel mats [or somehow elevating your hips] to help with the roll.

I haven't done planche work in a long time, so this was...fun? I prefer Germans to chest rolls.

Also, it is cold enough here that I am training in socks. The bonus: I can stick the fractional plate in my sock.

Happy New Year all.

best,

jason

A. D-ROM x15/ea

B. Dislocates x10

C. Floor Dislocates x10 @ 13#

D. Bridge 3x10+10s Hold

E. One-arm Work

F. 3x 15second Eagle Hang + 5 TOPs Pulls @ BW

G. 3x 15second Tuck PL + 5 Chest Roll to PL [Hips elevated on panel mat]

H. 3x 15second Flat Tuck FL + 5 V-up+Lift @ .75#

I. 10x Tik-Toks [HS-Bridge-HS]

Gym Stunts

when you say rest 1-2 minutes between giant sets does that mean

embedded back lever (10-20s rest) 5 tempo Tops Pull

(rest 1-2 minutes)

embedded PL (10-20s rest) 5 Arch Planches

or

complete a circuit of the six exercises resting 10-20s in between each exercise and then a 1-2 minute rest in between sets of the circuits?

obviously scaling to whatever it takes to complete it if necessary, but what's the optimal prescribed routine?

AJ Ruffer
Gym Stunts said:
when you say rest 1-2 minutes between giant sets does that mean

embedded back lever (10-20s rest) 5 tempo Tops Pull

(rest 1-2 minutes)

embedded PL (10-20s rest) 5 Arch Planches

or

complete a circuit of the six exercises resting 10-20s in between each exercise and then a 1-2 minute rest in between sets of the circuits?

obviously scaling to whatever it takes to complete it if necessary, but what's the optimal prescribed routine?

Neither.

A Giant set is the embedded static+the exercise.

Do the BL, rest 10-20 sec, then do the 5 TOPs Pulls. Rest 1-2 minutes, then do another BL+Tops set. Until you get to 3. Then move on to the next combo.

Alexander Moreen

I have a couple questions for this one. First how do you come down from the chest roll to planche? Feet rock down and touch, or lower down chest first and reverse the roll? And second what is a lift at the end of a v-up?

Samuel Carr
ajruff said:
Gym Stunts said:
when you say rest 1-2 minutes between giant sets does that mean

embedded back lever (10-20s rest) 5 tempo Tops Pull

(rest 1-2 minutes)

embedded PL (10-20s rest) 5 Arch Planches

or

complete a circuit of the six exercises resting 10-20s in between each exercise and then a 1-2 minute rest in between sets of the circuits?

obviously scaling to whatever it takes to complete it if necessary, but what's the optimal prescribed routine?

Neither.

A Giant set is the embedded static+the exercise.

Do the BL, rest 10-20 sec, then do the 5 TOPs Pulls. Rest 1-2 minutes, then do another BL+Tops set. Until you get to 3. Then move on to the next combo.

ajruff this is incorrect. GymStunts was right on his 2nd assunmption. A giant set means you do the static, then rest 10-20s, then the FBE and then after taking a few breaths you move directly onto the next combo until you have done each pair 1x. Then you rest 1-2min and repeat

Theodore Bushnell
Lavastine said:
I have a couple questions for this one. First how do you come down from the chest roll to planche? Feet rock down and touch, or lower down chest first and reverse the roll? And second what is a lift at the end of a v-up?

Regarding the first question, chest is lowered first and you essentiall reverse the roll. I can't do it myself but the BtGB Companion DVDs show this move nicely.

cheers,

ted.

Joshua Naterman

Great WOD!

I did the chest rolls without any planche work as I am not at the planche-safe elbows level yet. These were pretty strong, I went up to HS no problem on about 75% of the reps.

I was surprised at how good the tempo TOPS pulls felt, that was nice.

Regular pike V ups were my exercise for that part of the WOD, and it was hard because I never practice those. The strength is easily there but I never practice them so I am not smooth with the movement.

Joshua Naterman
element3904 said:
ajruff said:
Gym Stunts said:
when you say rest 1-2 minutes between giant sets does that mean

embedded back lever (10-20s rest) 5 tempo Tops Pull

(rest 1-2 minutes)

embedded PL (10-20s rest) 5 Arch Planches

or

complete a circuit of the six exercises resting 10-20s in between each exercise and then a 1-2 minute rest in between sets of the circuits?

obviously scaling to whatever it takes to complete it if necessary, but what's the optimal prescribed routine?

Neither.

A Giant set is the embedded static+the exercise.

Do the BL, rest 10-20 sec, then do the 5 TOPs Pulls. Rest 1-2 minutes, then do another BL+Tops set. Until you get to 3. Then move on to the next combo.

ajruff this is incorrect. GymStunts was right on his 2nd assunmption. A giant set means you do the static, then rest 10-20s, then the FBE and then after taking a few breaths you move directly onto the next combo until you have done each pair 1x. Then you rest 1-2min and repeat

Both ways are correct. If you are looking for more of a work capacity increase you should do all three sets of each pair before moving on. If you would rather have slightly more emphasis on strength you would want to do one set of all three pairs as a single round and then repeat two more times.

If Coach doesn't specifically say to do it one way then either is acceptable. If he gives a specific method, as he sometimes does, it is best to follow that recommendation.

Samuel Carr

Me trying to do chest rolls to headstand involved a lot of carpet burn on the chin and some mashing of nose into ground :(

Joshua Naterman

Ouch!!! I have noticed that doing a good bit of XR HSPU negatives seems to have dramatically improved my chest roll. I haven't tried anything like that in months and it was always a challenge to get to the headstand on a regular basis, so to be able to press fairly strongly up into a handstand was unexpected. It actually took me two sets to get used to it, but the extra strength really helped a lot. I have been "powering down" from the shoulder stand at the end of those XR HSPU negatives and I think that helped a bit as well.

yuri marmerstein

band warmup

2x30 seconds:

advanced L-sit

tuck front lever

tuck planche

some pseudo planche pushups and pullups

3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo TOPs Pulls in open tuck

1 Embedded straddle PL + 5 Chest Roll to PL

1 Embedded straddle FL + 5 Tempo V-up+lifts

10 bridge wall walks

video of my last set:

nMX-IBJlsLg

my chest roll to PL were pretty sloppy so i did a couple chest roll to HS for redemption

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD

Warm UP:

3x1 Wall Press HS (without head on wall)

3x10 s Straddle L

3x1 elevated HeSPU (3" high)

3x10 s Adv. L-Sit

3 rds:

Shoulder Stand to Full Lay BL + 5 Tempo Full Lay/half lay TOPs Pulls

rest 2 min

Shoulder Stand to Tuck PL + 5 Chest roll to PL

rest 2 min

German Hang to Adv. Tuck FL + 5 Tempo L-Sit Lifts

rest 2 min

Finished with 10 Bridge Wall Walks and short jog down street

Razz

Your planche is so damn good!

Edward Henigin
Coach Sommer said:
Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo TOPs Pulls

1 Embedded PL + 5 Chest Roll to PL

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo V-up+lifts

I don't understand the "embedded" part. I thought embedded meant you would be in or pass through this position in order to do the rest of the exercise. In this case, it seems like the static position is pretty independent of the dynamic movement. Are we just supposed to use the same apparatus for both?

Razz

Embedded means what you think it means, so first you do a mini serie with an entrance, a hold(FSP) and an exit or just either an entrance or exit depending on your skill level. Then after you've done that you do the dynamic exercise.