Programming for the very overweight

Started by ejm, December 22, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,773 Views

ejm

Is it possible for someone very overweight (35+ BMI) to pursue a useful bodyweight strength routine? I'm thinking in terms of someone who has trouble doing barbell weighted exercises due to chronic injuries, but would still benefit from some form of strength training. Provided weight loss and cardio work continues, do you think someone this size could get benefits from this routine? Of course, everything would have to be heavily scaled.

I know someone who is interested in moving to bodyweight work as they continue to reinjure themselves doing barbell work, and I would like to help put together a routine or some progressions for them. However, if it's going to be a waste of time, or progress will be so slow as to be utterly frustrating, I'd rather look at pursuing something else.

Cole Dano

It sounds like the more important question may be, why is he consistently injuring himself with barbells? There is a high likely hood that this problem will carry over to other endeavors as well if the reason isn't understood?

Is he using too much weight, does his weight cause problems with his movement so he can't press a barbell with proper technique etc?

ejm

He doesn't have an in-person trainer to watch his form, for one thing, and he got an arthritic L3-L4, three bulging discs, and his L5 disc is partially torn. Plus muscle spasms. So it is extremely, extremely easy for him to get himself in a lot of pain.

I'm inclined towards the gymnastics work as one is more likely to simply not be able to get into position than hurt themselves, at least if they're not attempting dynamic work/very difficult ring and handstand work (correct me if I'm wrong), which he wouldn't be for a while, I imagine. It's also a lot more core-focused, which with his problems is what he probably needs.

This is also a general question though about the viability of gymnastics work for an obese person.

Razz

I'd start with doing just statics. Pushup hold, reverse pushup holds, hollow and arch holds all that stuff.. Along with lots of prehab stuff for weak links.. the reason I say this is that his joints may not be able to bear all his weight if he started right away with pushups/pullups etc. But it's hard to say when we don't know him. Of course he should be on some sort of weight loss program (i.e. eat lots of protein, dont allow any liquid food, lots of fish oil etc. and of course not overating...)

Cole Dano

I pretty much concur with Razz, once he can hold a good body line, which may be already, add wall push ups wall rows and wall squats.. I will use straps for the wall squats so the trainee can enlist the upper body to help at first, they can go around a pole, squat rack etc, holding the straps move the butt back, knees stack over ankles, keep a neutral spine, firm core and sit back, use straps to help support weight.

Every thing scaled very light and higher reps to begin conditioning the connective tissue, make sure he understands this point so he will feel good about what he's doing.

Joshua Naterman

First of all, +45 to Mr Brady's comment!

If there are consistent injuries, there are musculoskeletal problems. Now, those back problems certainly count in that category (though those particular problems are actually a symptom, but read the book in step 1 and learn more about that) but there are going to be more. In my opinion, you have to do a few things for that person.

1. Get them to buy the book "Pain Free." If they are a friend, buy it for them. It's 14 bucks. It will teach them how to start retraining their muscles to pull the bones in the directions nature intended, which will start to relieve those back problems and give them a chance to heal. As long as these dysfunctions are not corrected the pain will continue because the injuries will be perpetuated every second of every day. This is not exercise, it is muscle re-education. The elderly and decrepit can and do use this, so anyone can. It is not a program that requires any physical ability at all. If you can move, you can do it.

2. Use infrared therapy on those sites. Infrared light actually increases healing rate, particularly in connective tissue. That would be the discs, among other things. Please, find a qualified practitioner for that. There are a number of physical therapists who are familiar with this technique, though I have found that many use LED wraps. For me, personally, that didn't do squat. Heat lamps are where it's at for me. I happen to know exactly what I am doing, and I will not be qualified to officially give medical advice for at least 5 years in this area, so I can not go into detail. It's pretty simple, read on the internet for many good sources of information. Try and stick to people who have advanced degrees. Also, you may want to do searches on pubmed for infrared heat therapy and the like to learn more and be more comfortable with recommending this. It is somewhat hard to find the data, but you will find that infrared light is potently anti-inflammatory and that it does accelerate healing, especially in chronic conditions.

3. At first, I would exclusively have that person undergo postural correction. The book I have recommended is the most accessible way to do this, followed by actually going to an Egoscue clinic. Once musculoskeletal dysfunctions are being managed and symptoms are disappearing I'd do PB supports, foot supported rows (negatives if need be), and dead hangs. That is quite possibly all that person is ready for. As the dysfunctions causing the back pain get better and the pain is mostly gone I would definitely move into wall squats, though they can be done earlier if it doesn't bother him. They are a part of the Egoscue method, so they will be included. As far as weight lifting goes, when he is ready you may want to look into using a hip harness. Not only can you lift way, way more, but it doesn't mess with anyone's back. This allows you to train your legs even when your back is so messed up that you can't wear a backpack!

4. I would really work hard on convincing your friend to have a dietary change of heart, unless that has already happened. You don't get good visible results without the nutrition being pretty on point.

This was supposed to have been submitted yesterday but I forgot about this tab. If this friend is not ready and willing to go through all of these steps, however reluctantly, they will be something of an emotional sinkhole for you. I would suggest that you only invest your emotions into this if they demonstrate a continued willingness to do what must be done.