This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101220

Started by Coach Sommer, December 20, 2010 · 17 Replies · 2,382 Views

Coach Sommer

YS8ol0rx1m8

Complete four rounds:

60 sec HS Wall Run

20’ Wheels

60 sec Swinging Dips

20’ L-sit walks

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Move immediately from the HS Wall Runs to the Wheels.

2) After the Wheels move immediately to the Swinging Dips.

3) After the Swinging Dips move immediately to the L-sit Walks.

4) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

5) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement.

Samuel Carr

If you don't have a way of doing swinging dips, what would be a good substitute? I was thinking either germans or just 10 dips...

Ciaran
element3904 said:
If you don't have a way of doing swinging dips, what would be a good substitute? I was thinking either germans or just 10 dips...

What about clapping dips or just explosive dips?

Kenneth Manning

If you don't have access to parallel bars for tuck l sit walk, are there any better subs than just performing a static l sit?

Coach Sommer

IVzjUhRhtpA

Scaling down to Ag Walks would be a reasonable substitution if L-sit Walks are not yet possible.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

3 Rounds:

300m Row

10 Pushups

30s HS Hold

10 Ring Dips

FSP:

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Straddle-L (OHC; 8s, 8s)

2 x 1 XR L-Sit (XR Low; 10s, 10s)

WOD:

4 Rounds:

60s HS Wallruns

20' Moving Clap Pushups

20' Slow Ag Walks (I can take 2 L-Sit steps now :mrgreen: )

60s XR Swinging Dips (Hard as well :shock: )

Rest 2 mins.

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions & 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups.

David Barclay

Here is what happens when a former long-and-slow endurance athlete meets a workout of this nature.... Yes, I found some fitness cracks that need filling.

Scaled down:

4 sets of

45 seconds of HS Wall Runs. The last rounds sets where tough, but I managed them all. I am just back from a mild wrist injury, so I did not push it.

2 x 5 clapping push ups, with 10 seconds rest in between the sets. This was hard... I came pretty close to a full faceplant on the final two rounds. Wheels are out of the question for me at this stage.

6 dips. This was embarrassing. I don't have the facilites for the swinging dips, but before the workout figured I would 'just' bang out 10 dips at a moderate tempo instead. But the HS Runs and the pushups completely trashed me, and I could not manage more than three in a row... So I targeted 6 dips in broken sets per round.

20' AG Walks. I liked this element, but need to remember to bring my frisbee to work. (office gym) I had trouble slidding but happily smoked my triceps regardless.

Extra:

2 x 3 360 pulls in a tuck.

10 minute run - 8 at 5:00 with the final 2 minutes at 3:45 min/km.

All good, thanks for the workouts coach

David

Dillon Castro

coach, my problem with the wods (primarily ones that, like today's wod, focus on power,explosion or anaerobic endurance)lately has been that i can't finish the total rounds on days of work such as this. I can complete the rep ranges per round/set (with more or less difficulty depending on the movement) but today by the third round i was spent. should i, A) continue to work the more difficult progressions of movements in the desired rep range and just keep at it until i have the ability to complete all the rounds or B) work easier progressions still with the same rep range to make sure i complete all the rounds and progressively increase the difficulty of the movements?

Coach Sommer
... Coach, my problem with the GB WODs (primarily ones that, like today's WOD, focus on power,explosion or anaerobic endurance) lately has been that i can't finish the total rounds on days of work such as this. I can complete the rep ranges per round/set (with more or less difficulty depending on the movement) but today by the third round i was spent ...

Your workout should be scaled down further to allow you to complete all the rounds as rx'd.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kenneth Manning

Coach, thanks for the reply regarding an L sit walk sub.

Today's WOD:

HS wall runs x 60 sec -- all 4 rounds, tough but doable. Around 60-65 total touches/set

single clap pushups x 10, 10, 9+1, 7+3

swinging dips x 14, 10+4, 8+6, 6+4+4 -- first 2 sets were performed in 60 sec, last 2 more like 90 total seconds with 5-10 sec breaks between

20' ag walks x all 4 rounds

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

4x30 sec tuck PB L sit

David Beckerman

This burnt my shoulders like nothing else...

WU

4x15 sec hollow hold, arch holds, HeS

Scap, shoulder and hip mobility

WOD x 4 rounds

60 secs HeS (towards the end it ended up being 60 secs in broken reps to reach 60 secs in total)

20' clapping press ups

60 secs swinging dips assisted

20's kind of Ag walks (couldn't keep my hips up or my legs straight)

3 x 10 wrist pushups as per wrist series on bent knees

Cooldown

Stretching

Notes:

First time I have done this WOD so lots of practice in getting the technique better. I had the song Spitfire playing whilst I was doing this and that is exactly how my arms felt! Hard workout at the time but I enjoyed how I felt afterwards, I actually feel stronger than I did before the workout. Seems weird now that I have typed that.

Mehmet Yuce

How does one relate reps to distance? After 30 seconds of wall runs (can't complete one min yet, but I'm getting there), I do clapping push ups because wheels are too hard for me at the moment. I do 7 clapping push ups because that's all I can do with good form. But I don't know if that's appropriate given that we need to do 20' of wheels. Any ideas?

Velocity

Hi all, new guy here and my first real foray into the gymnastics training style... So suffice it to say, I have much learning to do!

Did the following...

Warm-up was forward/backward arm circles, short-duration headstands, a few dips, practice to get the feel of Ag walks, and a few hanging leg raises to L-holds.

Then:

60 seconds headstands -- not bad; first round was 60 all at once, others went 35+25 sec.

10 clap/ballistic pushups -- couldn't quite clap on many of them, probably 75%

60 seconds dips with legs supported -- tried no support but simply couldn't manage it; also, I noticed my left shoulder feels a pressure while near the bottom position of the dip...

20 ft. Ag walks -- went okay for a first outing, need to work on right/left balance strength-wise

Tried to do the wrist pushups at the end. Abject failure, even from knees and with piked hips. Yeah, wrists are a weak area with me.

Adam Bodestyne

@Mehmet: Depending on the available area you've got, you could potentially try clapping pushups such that you move forward as you do them. Push up explosively such that you'll land a little forward of where you pushed up from, with your feet sliding along behind you. Pretty much just like the Wheels, except you're not windmilling your arms all the way around. This will depend on whether you've got the space to do this, and whether the floor is amenable to your feet sliding along it. :P

@Velocity: Welcome, fellow new guy! :P (I consider myself still new since I've mainly been lurking, and only recently decided to start posting) Don't forget that if the wrist pushups are still too difficult on your knees, you can try them standing up, doing the pushups against a wall.

Coach Sommer
Velocity said:
... 60 seconds dips with legs supported -- tried no support but simply couldn't manage it ...

Good choice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Neal Winkler

Coach, do you think walking planks would be a good substitute for l-sit walks?

Cole Dano

I'd have to think Ag walks would be the better choice, though walking planks, or wheelbarrows, or better yet Power Wheel walks are good in their own right, assuming one maintains a stiff core.

Tyler Schmitz

WOD done on Tues.

Warm up:

4x10 s Half Lay FL

4x10 s Adv. Tuck PL

4x10 s Straddle L

4x10 s Full Lay BL

4 rds:

60 s HS Wall Run

20' Wheels

60 s Swinging Dips with partial ROM (2nd and 3rd rd split into 2x30 s)

20' L-sit walk with butt partially dragging

Finished with 2x10 Wrist Pushups and short jog down road