Hi guys
At first I want to thank you all for the great forum and all the information it provides.
I guess I’m a little bit confused because of all the contradicting information out there and so I’m looking for some clarification here.
I’m doing Parkour/Free Running and because of this my goals are to be able to jump high and long(from standing and running) and to sprint very fast.
Question 1
To reach these goals for my posterior chain this site http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/jumphigher.html suggests to train strength exercises(for example squats, deadlifts), because the explosiveness in movements like jumping and sprinting depends on the maximal force your body can generate and explosive exercises(for example sprints, plyometrics), because the body has to learn to apply his strength in a very short time.
So is this correct? Should I train strength AND explosive exercises to be able to jump high and to sprint very fast?
Because many people seem to train and increase their jumps and sprints… well, just by doing jumps and sprints.
Question 2
If I should do some maximal strength training for my legs to reach my goals, are there BWEs that are as good as or even better than squats or deadlifts, such as the pistol or shrimp progressions? Are they sufficient for my posterior chain if I also train my back with a lot of ring/bar work? Because I don’t want to spend a lot of money for a gym membership just to do some squats and deadlifts once a week.
(Note that I’m too weak to do pistols or shrimps in their hardest variations or in higher repetitions, so they’d definitely work on my max strength)
greetings, Eloan
PS: I’m sorry if some sentences sound a little bit odd. English isn’t my first language, but I’m trying my best.