My L-Sit progressions, thus far, haven't been the same as the book. The reason for this is that I don't have P-Bars. Pushup handles on the floor are what I used. The "Tuck" L-Sit was basically knee-to-chest. From there I extended out a bit ("High Bent Leg L-Sit" is what I recorded) and then a little farther ("Low Bent Leg L-Sit"). Right now I am comfortable doing the low bent leg variation for about 20s (even though it is hard).
When I try to fully extend my legs, I simply can't keep them high enough. It doesn't feel like it's the abs, it feels like it's the hip flexors/quads. The bent-leg variations don't seem to work those muscles at all.
My question is: what can I do to increase the active flexibility here? Is there any way I could change up my L-Sit work to make it more relevant to the final product? I'm not working on the full version just yet (still on an SSC for the low bent leg variation), but I have tested it a few times.
As an aside, I'd like to be able to do this from the floor eventually. Should I wait for an L-Sit on the pushup handles, or should I take a step back and train on the floor right now?