This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101209

Started by Coach Sommer, December 9, 2010 · 35 Replies · 4,150 Views

Freeflyer
slizzardman said:

There have been some really great suggestions thrown out here for you! I would suggest that if you can not do pull ups that you start working on negatives. On pulling days, just work on your pull up negatives. I'd switch each set between pull up grip and chin up grip, and first just get yourself to where you can do 5 second negatives. 5 of those is a pretty decent set. If you can get up to doing 3-4 ten second negatives that would be even better, and at that point I think you will find yourself able to do several pull ups.

I like Nick's suggestion a lot, but instead of the assisted pull ups you might want to try the negatives and go for an initial goal of 5 negatives that take 5 seconds each for the rows and for the pull ups. 3-4 rounds of that is plenty, and the scaling should be absolutely perfect for you where you're at. If you are unable to perform at least a 2-3 second negative pull up, you'll need to do assisted negatives. You can do that at home by using a chair and putting the top of one or both feet on it and using your legs to make the exercise easier. When you find yourself able to do 5s or longer negatives that way, you should be able to do controlled negatives without the assistance!

I personally am not a huge fan of negatives. At least for me I found assisted work for the concentric movement, along with either full negatives or assisted ones works better. But I am certain that is not the case for everyone. I would try both and see what works best for you.

pioa1977

Hi All

I have been stalking these forums for the past few months & found the amount of info, the passion of the members and of course the invaluable imput of coach sommer and various members (hon. mention - slizzardmans posts are always a fantastic read) a revelation. I started the WOD's this week after following a killroy style program for 12 weeks. Prior to this i had done about 8 weeks of jogging and the odd pull up having not exercised for 16 years (yes really) - iam 33 btw. I plan to start a workout log follow and any input from the members of the forum is welcome.

This was my WOD.

WU

gentle jog

some stretching & mobility work

10 press ups

10 sit ups

wall hand stand

4* 15s adv tuck BL

4* 15s stradlle - low pb

2 2* 30s ring support

3 20m wind sprints (all out effort)

5 5 5 5 (first 2 adv tuck last 2 tuck)

6 5 5 3+2 top pulls (1st 2 in adv tuck last 2 tuck)

5 towel pull ups the 10*3 towel rows

My question is this should i have been scaling back further to get closer to the prescribed reps or have i done an ok job. I could not do naners for example due to my chinup bar set up. even the towel rows were an effort as my grip & arms were shot. thanks in advance

Joshua Naterman
Nick_EOD said:
slizzardman said:

There have been some really great suggestions thrown out here for you! I would suggest that if you can not do pull ups that you start working on negatives. On pulling days, just work on your pull up negatives. I'd switch each set between pull up grip and chin up grip, and first just get yourself to where you can do 5 second negatives. 5 of those is a pretty decent set. If you can get up to doing 3-4 ten second negatives that would be even better, and at that point I think you will find yourself able to do several pull ups.

I like Nick's suggestion a lot, but instead of the assisted pull ups you might want to try the negatives and go for an initial goal of 5 negatives that take 5 seconds each for the rows and for the pull ups. 3-4 rounds of that is plenty, and the scaling should be absolutely perfect for you where you're at. If you are unable to perform at least a 2-3 second negative pull up, you'll need to do assisted negatives. You can do that at home by using a chair and putting the top of one or both feet on it and using your legs to make the exercise easier. When you find yourself able to do 5s or longer negatives that way, you should be able to do controlled negatives without the assistance!

I personally am not a huge fan of negatives. At least for me I found assisted work for the concentric movement, along with either full negatives or assisted ones works better. But I am certain that is not the case for everyone. I would try both and see what works best for you.

Good point.

Calder Photography

This owned me.

3 x 20m wind sprints

5 half fl pulls (advanced tuck)

could only do 5 top's pulls, and did 4 on the last two rounds

could only manage 5 towel pullups first set, and 4 for the rest.

felt pretty dissapointed after this one, thought I would do better.

I never know how hard to push, i'm trying not to go to failure, but push myself as hard as possible to get more reps out, can anyone offer any advice on how to know how hard to push?

Ryan Hutchins
Patrick Smith said:
Ryan, are you eating well? That has a lot to do with energy.

This WoD was hard, but satisfying!

I had oatmeal for breakfast. couple of baked porkchops and corn for lunch. Idk what the deal is. I'm already trying to change my diet. Should I be eating more energy providing foods on my WOD days?

Cole Dano
slizzardman said:
Asclepius said:
Coach, if I may make a suggestion for the WOD forum:

It is starting to become very confusing when trying to follow the WODs on the forum as people are replying to WODs from as long as a month ago, making the process of finding the WODs among a jumble of them quite aggravating.

May I suggest that from now on, when you post a new WOD, you lock the old WOD thread from the day prior, thus keeping them in a neat order?

Just a thought!

If something like this were done it would make it impossible for people to get help when they need it. I think it might be nice to have subforums like "December 2010" or something, but I do not know what the phpBB limitations are. Failing that, it might be nice to have "Current month" and "Archives" to cut down on the number of topics to get lost in, but that would be a good bit of administrative work on a regular basis.

In the end, while sometimes there are complications we tend to be able to find what we need here as it is. It will help to remember that these are posted as year-month-day.

There are too many people that do WODs a little behind schedule for this to work, as Slizz points out.

What did work well was having the WOD link on the home page. Ot felt more like a home page when it was there.

A Today's WOD link of some sort, somewhere convenient would be a useful addition without doubt, for newcomers in particular. That link on the home page helped emphasize the importance of the WODs as well. One good place would be the top left corner of the home page above the video links. Another would be an addition to the advertising banner that runs across the top of each forum page.

Nevertheless its not really that hard to look at the title and figure out what today's WOD is, is it?

Nrxszvo

My first attempt at a scaled down version of this WOD :

1st Round

3 (length of garden - need to measure) sprints

5 Negative Pull Ups (In need of a bar, currently doing them on a pergola)

10 Negative Rows - XR Ground (5,5)

10s Dead Hang

2nd Round

3 (length of garden - need to measure) sprints

5 Negative Chin Ups (In need of a bar, currently doing them on a pergola)

10 Negative Rows - XR Ground (5, 2, 2, 1)

10s Dead Hang

And that was all I was capable of doing with my current strength. I believe (quite obvious) that this is due to my current weight (200lbs, 174cm).

I also found that my forearms were extremely tight during the workout, so tight I could barely move my wrists. Another reason for stopping the workout early as I don't want to develop something for starting out too quickly!

Peace,

Nrxszvo

Tarun Suri

Ryan, I don't think it's the energy level. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the progressions chosen.

Ryan Hutchins
RandomHavoc said:
Ryan, I don't think it's the energy level. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the progressions chosen.

Well i've gotten to the point where i can do most everything with a straight body. My FL is solid now. And i do all the WODs with straight body. That day i just didn't feel it. I was teaching kids earlier and even lifting and spotting them was making my arms tired. I've been progressing on my IronX lately as well. i do 5 days a week at 5 sets of 2 with a theraband. So i'm gonna blame it on that.

However i guess you're saying that i should scale the workout when i feel like that so that i can complete it. I didn't want to do 20 towell pullups either lol every round. But i'll make sure i do that so i can get the full benefit out of the workout. or at least the most that is possible on any given day.

Tyler Schmitz

WOD done on Friday

Warm up:

4x10 s Half Lay FL

4x10 s Advanced Tuck P

4x10 s Low Straddle L

4 rds:

3-20 m Wind Sprints

5 Half FL Pulls

10 TOPs Pulls (2x10 adv. tuck)(1x8 adv. tuck,1x2 tuck)(1x6 adv. tuck, 1x4 tuck)

2x10 towel pull ups from chain

Very tough WOD!

Joshua Naterman

I did the essence of this WOD, along with the essence of ring strength, Sunday evening.

4 sets of two 15-20s negatives moving through the FL pull from pull up support to FL, then to inverted hang, then down through a negative front pull. Flat tuck past 90/90. Very tough.

4 sets of 2 6-8s assisted OAC negatives per arm, alternating arms, on the rings. I did a pull up to reset position. This felt great.

That took care of this WOD.

Ring strength was 4 sets of two negative muscle ups, 10-15s each. This is getting much better. I then did 2 sets of two 10s negative XR dips with 50 lbs added. I ended with 7 sets of XR biceps curls in the false grip and 2 sets of three 10s FL row negatives, again in the false grip. Lots of false grip, lots of negative elbow strength. Everything feels good, more volume would have been bad. I did one basic ring strength set just to keep the groove greased so to speak.

Warm up was 3x30s XR support with 60s rests followed by 3x20s GH with 60s rest. Felt great!