This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101209

Started by Coach Sommer, December 9, 2010 · 35 Replies · 4,150 Views

Coach Sommer

vTIfss5oF8w

Complete four rounds:

3-20m wind sprints

5 Half FL Pulls

10 TOPs Pulls

1 – 15’ Cirque

notes:

1) The Wind Sprints should be performed with an all out effort. You may pause for 2 to 3 breaths in between each sprint.

2) Move immediately from the Wind Sprints to the Half FL Pulls.

3) Move immediately from the Half FL Pulls to the TOPs Pulls.

4) Move immediately from the TOPs Pulls to the Cirque. If you do not have access to a rope, substitute 20 towel pull-ups for the Cirque.

5) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

6) Remember to work hard, but to scale this workout as necessary.

Mathias Flækøy

There is no way i can do 20 towel pull-ups after the FL pulls and TOPs pulls, and i actually do not have access to a towel. So, would a good substitution be an easyer pullup variation like this:

Or should I just do 5 regular pullups, instead of 20?

Cole Dano
Hannibal said:
There is no way i can do 20 towel pull-ups after the FL pulls and TOPs pulls, and i actually do not have access to a towel. So, would a good substitution be an easyer pullup variation like this:

Or should I just do 5 regular pullups, instead of 20?

Can you support some of your weight somehow? For example if you have a very long towel you could lay out in semi-rowing position and do them, or if you have bands you could use them as support, etc...

Mathias Flækøy

No I can't. But wouldn't it be the same princip to use the easier pullup variation? Maybe grab one ring instead of two, and lower with one hand?

Michael Traynor

You are basically aiming for any pulling exercise that you can do 20 of after the other exercises, which ideally has the posibility to be an uneven pulling exercise.

From what you have said I would say that ring rows with one ring lower than the other (swapping over hands after 10) would be your best bet. If this is too easy elevate the legs.

Joshua Naterman

Personally I would focus on doing towel pull ups, regardless of the number you can do. If you have a climbing rope you can just do pull ups on that as well, either way is ok. Just switch your hands each set if you use a rope. The goal for that is to build the grip strength to climb rope, not to build pull up endurance. Being able to do 20 bar pull ups does not mean you can climb rope, and climbing rope does not mean you can do 20 bar pull ups.

However, if you can do 15-20 towel pull ups you should have very little trouble with a rope. At first, if 3 is all you can do then that's what you do, but use the towel or rope. Don't use the bar, and if you can't do towel pull ups then at least hang for time.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

Burpees x 10,10,10,10

half FL pulls (adv tuck) x 5,5,5,5

TOP pulls (adv tuck) x 10,10,10, 5+5 (started really swinging, needed to reset)

Rope pullups x 10+2, 8+4, 6+3+3, switched to rope rows x 10+10

By the end of each round, man, my biceps were SHOT. Doing any vertical pulling exercise for 20 reps after the first couple exercises with no rest would just flat out be impossible for me.

Asclepius

Coach, if I may make a suggestion for the WOD forum:

It is starting to become very confusing when trying to follow the WODs on the forum as people are replying to WODs from as long as a month ago, making the process of finding the WODs among a jumble of them quite aggravating.

May I suggest that from now on, when you post a new WOD, you lock the old WOD thread from the day prior, thus keeping them in a neat order?

Just a thought!

Justin Kyle

You always know the workout is going to suck when coach says, "Remember to work hard, but to scale this workout as necessary." haha. I've seen the trend.

Warmup:

XR L-sit RTO 3x20sec

4x8 sec Full BL holds

Press Handstand work (very little cause this would be the third time this week)

WOD: Four rounds of

3-20m sprints

5 FL pulls (adv tuck)

10 TOPS pulls (adv tuck: 10,10,10, 7+3)

15 cirque (had to use feet)

*The TOPS pulls were the worst cause it was really hard to keep good form at the end. Also, it destroyed my grip right before I had to do rope climbs. Great workout. God bless guys

Squatchy

Whew, that was a good one!

I had to keep breaking during sets because my arms couldnt pull anymore. Started getting pretty sloppy after the first round. I need to improve my pulling strength.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Doing this one tomorrow and its going to suck I know! lol :oops:

Coach Sommer

If you are unable to perform towel pull-ups, the next best substitution would be a towel row.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Adam Rezner

That was a killer workout. I just started getting back into gymnastics training, because I had always used a linear program before. I would start off great, plateau, and burnout. Over and over and over. But I'm liking these WODs...I hope they can help me have more long-term success!

Anyways here's what I did:

4 rounds:

3x 20m Wind Sprints, barefoot in the grass

5 Tuck FL Pulls

2x5 TOP Pulls (tucked)

Rope Pulls (7, 5, 2, 3 kip)

Finished up with 3x5 GHR.

Nrxszvo

As a complete beginner I'd like to request some suggestions for scaling down Half FL Pulls and TOPs Pulls if someone would be so kind to help out!

Thanks

Nrxszvo

Freeflyer
Nrxszvo said:
As a complete beginner I'd like to request some suggestions for scaling down Half FL Pulls and TOPs Pulls if someone would be so kind to help out!

Thanks

Nrxszvo

Do you have to book? Pullovers and naners are easier moves in the same family and are on page 106.

Asclepius

What are TOPs pulls?

Nrxszvo
Nick_EOD said:
Do you have to book? Pullovers and naners are easier moves in the same family and are on page 106.

I do have the book! My issue is, I am not even able to do a single Pull Up, let alone a Pullover! I am too much of a beginner to even be using the WODs scaled down? :)

Nrxszvo

Freeflyer

If MPPu movements are too difficult for you, i suggest scaling down to baser pulling elements. Assisted pull ups and rows. You may end up just doing something like:

  • [*:kr68nqvx]Wind sprints
    [*:kr68nqvx]10 XR rows
    [*:kr68nqvx]5 assisted pull ups
    [*:kr68nqvx]5 assisted towel pull ups

That would still accomplish the main goal of a pulling workout in multiple planes despite you not being strong enough to do a normal pull up.

Adam Rezner
Nrxszvo said:
I do have the book! My issue is, I am not even able to do a single Pull Up, let alone a Pullover! I am too much of a beginner to even be using the WODs scaled down? :)

Nrxszvo

Perhaps you could start with some slow negatives? Jump to the bar and try and go down as slowly as you can. Also, I believe in the book Coach talks about building up your pull-ups by just hanging there at the bottom of the pull up, and also holding yourself up on the bar. So perhaps you could do some of that as well to build your strength.

If you can't pull yourself up, you are going to be very limited in what you do, no matter how many progressions are thrown at you. I don't think you are too much of a beginner to do WODs, you've just got to scale it down to your level. At this point, that means that today even though you can't do the exercises, it's obviously a pulling day, so you work on your pulling strength any way you can.

David Beckerman

One of the first WODS I have done!

Warm up

Scap, hip and shoulder mobilisation

3x15 L -sit (tucked)

3 x 15 HeS

3x 15 frog legs

3 x 15 german hangs (supported)

WOD (only managed 3 rounds due to lack of strength)

10 x tuck jumps

5 x XR pull ups (poor ROM) :oops: managed first set as 5 pull ups then the next two sets had 3 negatives to complete 5

5 x towel rows

5 x XR rows. (I had nothing left on the third set strength wise)

Finished off with some stretching.

Good points:

Surprised myself I managed 5 pulls ups at all!

Tried to not let my shoulders tilt forward on the rows and pull my shoulders back as per Slizzards shoulder clip

Bad points

Jeez I am weak hahaha

Poor ROM

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

2 Rounds:

300m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocates

A, B, C's of Running

3 Strict Chest to Bar Pullups

1 Rope Climb Easy

5 GHDs

FSP:

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low/OHC; 15s, 10s)

2 x 1 XR L-Sit (PB Bent; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Bent; 15s, 15s)

WOD:

4 Rounds:

3 x 20m Sprints

5 Half FL Pulls (Straddle)

5 Naners

8' Cirques

Rest 2 mins

HARD! :shock:

Ryan Hutchins

My body was very uncooperative with this one. I got thru 2 rounds in 25 minutes. I decided to stop hitting my head against a wall and just finish there. I had zero energy and felt very weak. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Quick Start Test Smith

Ryan, are you eating well? That has a lot to do with energy.

This WoD was hard, but satisfying!

Joshua Naterman
Nrxszvo said:
Nick_EOD said:
Do you have to book? Pullovers and naners are easier moves in the same family and are on page 106.

I do have the book! My issue is, I am not even able to do a single Pull Up, let alone a Pullover! I am too much of a beginner to even be using the WODs scaled down? :)

Nrxszvo

There have been some really great suggestions thrown out here for you! I would suggest that if you can not do pull ups that you start working on negatives. On pulling days, just work on your pull up negatives. I'd switch each set between pull up grip and chin up grip, and first just get yourself to where you can do 5 second negatives. 5 of those is a pretty decent set. If you can get up to doing 3-4 ten second negatives that would be even better, and at that point I think you will find yourself able to do several pull ups.

I like Nick's suggestion a lot, but instead of the assisted pull ups you might want to try the negatives and go for an initial goal of 5 negatives that take 5 seconds each for the rows and for the pull ups. 3-4 rounds of that is plenty, and the scaling should be absolutely perfect for you where you're at. If you are unable to perform at least a 2-3 second negative pull up, you'll need to do assisted negatives. You can do that at home by using a chair and putting the top of one or both feet on it and using your legs to make the exercise easier. When you find yourself able to do 5s or longer negatives that way, you should be able to do controlled negatives without the assistance!

Joshua Naterman
Asclepius said:
Coach, if I may make a suggestion for the WOD forum:

It is starting to become very confusing when trying to follow the WODs on the forum as people are replying to WODs from as long as a month ago, making the process of finding the WODs among a jumble of them quite aggravating.

May I suggest that from now on, when you post a new WOD, you lock the old WOD thread from the day prior, thus keeping them in a neat order?

Just a thought!

If something like this were done it would make it impossible for people to get help when they need it. I think it might be nice to have subforums like "December 2010" or something, but I do not know what the phpBB limitations are. Failing that, it might be nice to have "Current month" and "Archives" to cut down on the number of topics to get lost in, but that would be a good bit of administrative work on a regular basis.

In the end, while sometimes there are complications we tend to be able to find what we need here as it is. It will help to remember that these are posted as year-month-day.