This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Butterfly Pull to Iron Cross

Started by Coach Sommer, December 8, 2010 · 30 Replies · 15,606 Views

Coach Sommer

In your mind picture a pull-up performed with straight arms and ending in an iron cross position. This element is called a butterfly and is demonstrated beautifully here by Wesley Haagensen of the USA Sr National Team.

Notice how the intial wide-arm MU to set his grip is completely effortless for him. When attempting to develop this degree of high level ring strength for yourself, it is important to realize that first things must come first. Following the correct strength progressions, maintaining a high quality of movement and and being meticulous in your joint prehab (as well as vast amounts of patience :D) are essential.

_Tr_-4yqpvI

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

holy crap :shock:

Joshua Naterman

WOW. :shock: :twisted:

Erik Sjolin

That's pretty insane, but what was the blue stuff on his back for?

Alvaro

Wow that is amazing! The blue tape is used to help the healing of muscle tears or something like that ( is suppossed to improve blood flow to the area). it is used a lot by tennis and soccer players too.

Alessandro Mainente

insane...but is not the first time i see this movemente...is Balandin the gymnast who performs this movements liked to inverted cross or maltese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0kVPfyRp8

Sternford

Someday...maybe

All Wesley Haagensen's videos are very cool

Razz

Alex: yes those 2 moves are named after Balandin :)

Craaaaaaazyyy, maybe in 2012 I'll do it :P

Neal Winkler

Looked at the rest of his videos and his inverted cross needs a lot of work. If he can't do it yet then I can't imagine I ever will.

Anyone remember that guy who claimed he could do an inverted cross after only like 6 months of GB training? His background was powerlifting. He said stuff like, "This exercise is too easy for me now, I don't see the point of doing it anymore." Dude was a total liar.

Wangtang6911

damn............. I have trained that skill for almost a year now and I still can't do it. I can do it in the straps, but its a HUGE difference. Gregor, can you do this skill?

Razz
trianglechoke7 said:
Anyone remember that guy who claimed he could do an inverted cross after only like 6 months of GB training? His background was powerlifting. He said stuff like, "This exercise is too easy for me now, I don't see the point of doing it anymore." Dude was a total liar.

Lol yeah I remember this guy. Full planche, cross, inverted cross...

Gregor
Wangtang6911 said:
damn............. I have trained that skill for almost a year now and I still can't do it. I can do it in the straps, but its a HUGE difference. Gregor, can you do this skill?

I did it before (to difficult for me for D and stopped training for it), and done to maltese wich is not that diffrent from this (same as for cross to difficult for E).

Now nothing (I can do active support and no pain at BL). I hope I'll start soon (oh yea I can do OAC, tried it yesterday with healthy right arm) :mrgreen: .

AlexX

So this skill is rated at D, are there any strength moves with the cross that are C rated (I don't mean stuff like kip to cross or backuprise to cross but slow pressing/pulling movements)? Gregor were you always able to do a OAC or did you just try it recently and were able to do it?

Gregor

Just tried it yesterday. I never tried it before (ok I did but it was last year when I've been injured on right arm and hurted so as hell so I stoped).

We never do that at training, so maybe others can do to.

Edited: slowely to cross are Ds (+honma and li-ning cross) and kips are Cs (just basic is an B). It's one more but it is a bounce to iron cross. IT's like butterfly to cross at the second part. Sou start at support and decrease to hang (not dead) and bounce up again.

irongymnast

I just love the butterfly.

As said, Balandin is doing those (and variations) often.

Wangtang6911

Yeah, my wrists were killing my one day and I didn't want to do anything else so I tried a one arm pull-up and it didn't feel to hard so I did about 2 more. I can get around 3 with each arm. I have never trained them before.

I think the butterfly emphasizes the lat muscles. The part that really kills my shoulder is trying to rotate them forward once you get the cross position. That skill should definitely be an E! I think pulling from hang to maltese should be an F. I don't know what the committee was thinking when they made that skill a D!

Most cross variations are D level skills. Like Gregor said, the only C crosses are back uprise cross, kip cross, front uprise cross, and feldge cross.

Michael Traynor
Razz said:
trianglechoke7 said:
Anyone remember that guy who claimed he could do an inverted cross after only like 6 months of GB training? His background was powerlifting. He said stuff like, "This exercise is too easy for me now, I don't see the point of doing it anymore." Dude was a total liar.

Lol yeah I remember this guy. Full planche, cross, inverted cross...

Pfft I can do a victorian but they are so similar to lying down that I kept falling asleep during them so I don't do them anymore.

;D

Razz
Breaks said:
Pfft I can do a victorian but they are so similar to lying down that I kept falling asleep during them so I don't do them anymore.

:lol:

january
trianglechoke7 said:
Anyone remember that guy who claimed he could do an inverted cross after only like 6 months of GB training? His background was powerlifting. He said stuff like, "This exercise is too easy for me now, I don't see the point of doing it anymore." Dude was a total liar.

Is there a link to his profile to view his post? That sounds like it could be genuinely hilarious.

Razz

Wasn't THAT funny. Don't remember which user or which thread it was in though.

Michael Traynor

you are THAT funny Razz ;P

Razz
Breaks said:
you are THAT funny Razz ;P

:lol:

Ryan Verma
trianglechoke7 said:

Anyone remember that guy who claimed he could do an inverted cross after only like 6 months of GB training? His background was powerlifting. He said stuff like, "This exercise is too easy for me now, I don't see the point of doing it anymore." Dude was a total liar.

rofl, my background is powerlifting and there is so little carry over, it's not funny. As you've already pointed out, he was absolutely full of it :P

This is a nice long term goal to set I think... I'm just about to get into some IC training since I've finally got coach's pre-reqs done.

AlexX

How do people go about training a buttefly pull? besides the obvious solid iron cross. Negatives? assisted? natural side effect of doing lots of iron crosses?

Gregor

Side effect of doing it alot and of course assisted.