This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101104

Started by Coach Sommer, November 4, 2010 · 23 Replies · 2,835 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3x5 Weighted Deck Squats

3x5 Tempo NLC

3x6 Tempo Negative Side Lever Pulls

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) Perform today's workout as 3 giant sets. This means perform a set of the Deck Squats, rest approx 30 sec, a set of the NLC, rest approx 30 sec and then the Negative Side Lever Pulls. These three movements performed in sequence constitute one giant set. Rest 3-5 minutes between giant sets.

2) Add as much weight as possible to the Deck Squats and the NLC to make them quite challenging for the 5 repetitions.

3) Perform the NLC and Negative Side Lever Pulls with a tempo of 411. This is read as a 4 second descent, a 1 second pause and then a 1 second ascent.

4) Use just barely enough assistance from your arms to allow the reps of NLC to be completed.

5) Perform three repetitions on the right side for the Negative Side Lever Pulls and then three repetitions on the left side; this constitutes one set.

6) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

kevinrohrbach

WU

General joint mobility

Ido’s scapular joint mobility

Slizzardman’s beginner’s pull up work

FSP

2x30s

Elevated straddle L + Tuck FL

Adv. Frog + Backward PU

Tuck LS + Tuck BL

WOD

3 rounds

5 Weighted Deck Squats — 30kg

5 NLCs — assisted qutie a bit

3 Windshield Wipers - half

3x10 Hip extensions

Comments

The 30kg added weight in the deck squats was too easy, but that's all the weights I own! Additionally those weights are in the form of dumbbells and adding more weight there would just make the movement all awkward. I'm contemplating getting a weight vest—Do you guys have any recommendations?

I didn't upscale the movement because I thought that coach probably didn't want to emphasize the explosive power that I would have used doing jumping deck squats and he told us to add weight to make it challenging—was that a correct assumption?

EDIT: Come to think of it, I should have probably just worked on Single Leg Squats, right?

Mathias Flækøy

Could someone explain the NLC's?

Freeflyer
Hannibal said:
Could someone explain the NLC's?

Do you have the book?

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

Hello,

I don't have access to any stall bars or upright poles suitable to attempt any side lever pulls at the moment.

I'm considering using windmills with a kettle bell as a substitute or just relpacing them altogether with body levers even though it's in a different plane of motion. Which do you guys think would be more appropriate?

Mark

Mathias Flækøy
Nick_EOD said:
Hannibal said:
Could someone explain the NLC's?

Do you have the book?

Yes, but can't find it.

Joshua Naterman

Mark: You could do body levers, for sure. Of course if you want to hit your obliques you'd be better off doing one of the other oblique variations in the book, as that is what movement family the side levers are from. You could also perform the body levers with a twist at the hips and waist, That's harder on the obliques than regular body levers.

Justin Kyle

Warmup:

4x15sec straddle L low

Planche leans and presses on exercise ball 3x5

FL pulls 3x10

Reverse Cranks 4x3

Box Press HS straddle 1x10 - Straddle Press HS negatives 1x5

WOD

3x5 weighted deck squats w/ 40lbs

3x5 NCLs - assisted

3x6 tempo windshield wipers (played around w/ flags but don't have stall bars in my gym)

3x10 hip extensions (brutal!)

-Trained movements instead of isometrics today. Felt pretty good mainly cause it was a leg day ha. Not sure how well the WOD would have gone otherwise. God bless guys

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

omg I side the negative side levers twice each side then I couldnt`do it after that lol subbed. :shock:

WU:

500m Row

10 Easy GHRs

10 Deck Squats

10 Shoulder Dislocate

10 Side V-Ups/Side

FSP:

2 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Planche (PB Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 15s, 10s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (PB; 10s, 8s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Straddle; 10s , 10s)

WOD:

3 Rounds:

5 Weighted Deck Squats (20#)

5 Half GHRs @ tempo 4111

5 GHD Situps (8kg) @ tempo 4111

5 Side V-Ups @ tempo 4111

Rest 2 mins

Finish with Shoulder Drills. Stretch.

Kenneth Manning

Todays WOD

Front squat 165x5,5,5

NLC band assisted (light jumpstretch band) tempo x 5,5,5

Windshield wipers half x 6,6,6 [second and third set had bent legs, tempo was rough!]

Hip extensions 3x10

Great workout!

warfit
Hannibal said:
Nick_EOD said:
Hannibal said:
Could someone explain the NLC's?

Do you have the book?

Yes, but can't find it.

They are called Natural Leg Curls (NLC) Page 165.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warm up:FSP's

3x10 sec Straddle FL

3x10 sec Adv. Tuck Planche

3x10 sec PB Manna

3x10 sec PB Low Straddle-L

3 giant sets of:

5 Weighted Deck Squats with 30 lbs

Rest 30 sec

5 Tempo NLC

Rest 30 sec

6 Negative Side Lever Pulls

Rest 5 min between giant sets

Finished with 3 x 10 Hip Extensions

Here's one giant set: miscounted and did an extra NLC this rd; didn't film last 3 side lever pulls :(

JWTaQK0fcKo

Justin Kyle

Treemantyler! I didn't know you were from the Nashville area. I'm from Franklin just 20 minutes outside of Nashville! Very cool!

Joshua Naterman

Tyler: One small critique on the deck squats: As you start standing, keep the weight even with your shoulders. If you watch the video you will see that the weight stays at the same elevation, more or less, throughout the squat as you stand up. It starts at your shoulders but ends up at your hips. You want it to travel with you, not just stay there. Those are some pretty beastly NLC! Very nice!!! Great side lever negatives too!

James Portillo

Warmup:

3 min. jogging

arm circles/shoulder shrugs

Wrist routine

1 set strict chin ups, 1 set strict pull ups

Ido's squat clinic

FSP:

3 x (20s tuck FL + 20s bent leg straddle L)*

3 x (20s frog stand with knees on elbows + 20s reverse push up)

5 x 12s low l-sit + 4 x 15s German hang on bar**

WOD:

3 giant sets of

Deck Squats w/ 35lb plate held in front, bent arms

Tempo NLC w/ pike in hips***

Hanging windshield wipers (half)****

Cooldown:

3x10 hip extensions

Stretching

*Did this workout at the gym, so I had to do the bent leg straddle l on the edge of a cushioned bench, which actually threw me off a little since my hands were forced to be slightly narrower than shoulder width.

**Same issue with the l-sit, which also threw me off a little, plus for some reason I don't feel as comfortable doing german hang on the bar as i do on the rings (which were at home)

***I hooked my feet under one of the bench press apparatuses and did my NLCs off it; what was weird was that my left calf started cramping up severely when curling in the second and third set which almost made me stop doing them lol..

****The first set was really half assed (didn't do 411 tempo) due to the pull up bar being crowded during my first set, which also meant that on the first and second set I rested a little longer than 30s unintentionally; although I did do 411 tempo on second and third set, I felt like I wasn't working my obliques hard enough.. maybe I didn't go full ROM or I needed weights? Forgot to mention that the reason I did these instead was because there isn't any equipment at the gym that I go to that even barely resembles stall bars. Really hope to install some at home very soon.

Overall, great workout, my hamstrings were the most affected due to the 411 tempo.

Samuel Carr

For the circular hip extensions, the rotating leg stays straight the whole time, right?

Tyler Schmitz
slizzardman said:
Tyler: One small critique on the deck squats: As you start standing, keep the weight even with your shoulders. If you watch the video you will see that the weight stays at the same elevation, more or less, throughout the squat as you stand up. It starts at your shoulders but ends up at your hips. You want it to travel with you, not just stay there. Those are some pretty beastly NLC! Very nice!!! Great side lever negatives too!

Thanks a lot slizzardman! I wondered why the weighted deck squats always seem so easy to me! lol I think a weight vest would suit the exercise better but this is all I have. Next time I will try to correct my mistake.

Ooden, yes I actually live in Manchester and commute to school at MTSU in Murfreesboro. Good to know there is someone else nearby with similar goals. Most ppl just wanna get decoratively huge lifting weights and don't care about strength! lol Thanks guys

Cole Dano
slizzardman said:
Those are some pretty beastly NLC! Very nice!!! Great side lever negatives too!

:shock:

Joshua Naterman

I hate using a vest for deck squats, they mess up my roll! Of course I could take out all the back weights but then the vest slides everywhere and the vest is only 40 lbs instead of 80... I like weight plates much more personally.

Quick Start Test Smith

Impressive NLCs, Tyler!

Warm Up

3 min. jump rope

Wrist routine

Ido's scapular mobilization routine

Ido's squat clinic

WOD

3x5 Deck Squats w/ 24lb weight vest and jump (I thought they were deck jumps, but was wrong...)

3x5 NLCs

3x6 Windshield wipers (6 per side)

Static-active flexibility/kicking drills

PNF straddle split 3 x 30

Notes

Relaxed stretching session 1-2 hours after WO.

Did not complete the hip extension, since I am not sure what they're like and I figured that my kicking drills would supply a very similar kind of stress anyway.

Sooner0430

Stretching:

Side to side head rolls

Shoulder rolls

Arm circles

Shoulder dislocates

Wrist stretching

FSP:

Straddle L + FL 2x15s

Planche - advanced frog stand (elbows bent) + German Hangs 2x15s

L Sit + Reverse push ups 2x15s

Strict max wide grip pull ups 1x8 (pull up bar in doorway)

WOD:

Jumping deck squats 3/5/5 3rd set I used 5lb db and no jumping. It felt a little awkward but not bad.

NLC 3/5/5 these were difficult for me. I used my hands to slow my speed going down and assist going up.

Arch ups side to side 6/6/6 No way could i do side lever pulls at this point.

Hip extensions 10 front/10side/10circle

Extra:

Hand stands 2x30s

Clapping push ups 1x10

Push ups (tempo 4:1:4) 1x10 4s descent 1s hold 4s ascent

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2x (30s Straddle-L + 25s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 30s Reverse Pushup)

2x (25s Bent L-sit + 10s Unassisted German Hang)

WOD:

3 rounds:

5 Weighted (10 lbs) Jumping Deck Squats

5 Tempo NLC

6 Tempo Windshield Wipers

1x10 Hip Extensions

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:3dmbmt2v]Accidently did Jumping Deck Squats instead of Deck Squats.

Coach Sommer

Tyler,

Very nice NLC! 8)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Tyler Schmitz

Thanks a lot Coach!! :D