False Grip Question

Started by Eddie Stelling, November 3, 2010 · 3 Replies · 6,893 Views

Eddie Stelling

I have the false grip down but recently have noticed that I can't hang very long in this position. I slip right out of it. Is this a grip strength issue or common whenever the wrist are sweaty? I tape my rings with athletic tape, and my wrists, and use chalk when its available. But I have noticed that in alot of videos on the forums the rings are not taped and I don't see chalk, but I do see some guys wearing what looks like wrist bands of some sort. Do these bands help? And to those who wear nothing and tape nothing, how do you prevent your wrist slipping out of the false grip?

I also have sores on my wrist from the false grip.

Marlon

It's just an issue of strength if you are slipping off, keep working at it and you'll get more comfortable in your false grip. Chalk helps to make absorb moisture so that your sweat doesn't make things more difficult, tape improves your grip on the rings, and the wrist bands that people use are called "grips." They are used by gymnasts on high bar and rings and are of more importance for swinging elements than just doing conditioning work.

Rips on your hands will happen, I wouldn't call anything that I've gotten a "sore" but that may just be a difference in our word choice. Take care of your hands but don't worry about it if it's just a small thing. Skin heals and you'll build callus over time

Coach Sommer
Eddie said:
... I also have sores on my wrist from the false grip ...

A single strip of athletic tape around your wrist will prevent this.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Michael Traynor
Coach Sommer said:
Eddie said:
... I also have sores on my wrist from the false grip ...

A single strip of athletic tape around your wrist will prevent this.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ok I have scars on my wrists from false grip and always just trained through the sores and bleeding, then got frustrated so started using ring grips ocassionally to protect my wrists.. why didn't i think of tape?

I am an idiot. :shock: :oops: