This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RandomHavoc's Training Log

Started by Tarun Suri, October 30, 2010 · 74 Replies · 5,915 Views

Tarun Suri

Tuesday 25 January 2011

=======================

Learnt a lot from my first HS workout today. Insightful!

1:32 AM Sleep

---

9:00 AM Wake up

---

9:29 AM Breakfast

4 eggs

Mushroom

2 pieces of pineapple

Almonds

---

10:36 AM Sleep

---

12:46 PM Wake up

---

1:36 PM Chicken

Cucumbers

---

2:53 PM Slizzardman shoulder routine

3:04 PM Fsps

Arch and Hollow holds (hands by side) 2x30s

Lsit (on chair) 4x15s (focused on retraction and depression = hard!)

No German Hang due to rain.

3:20 PM WoD 110118

Had to go one day backwards because it was the only WoD I could do indoors due to rain. Conveniently I had missed this one last time.

1x3 Wall Cast Walks

Hard. Next time I'll start with 3 steps and gradually increase going higher on the wall.

1x5 HeS RLL 1' raise

Struggled to get these perfectly on all 5 reps. Hamstring flexibility really limited me.

1x10 HeS RLL Straddle 1' raise

Started taking small rests between reps at 5. Later felt it a lot on the upper back, I felt like I was bulging there all day long. Probably being dragged by my hamstrings. next time sub everything back down to the floor.

HS wall holds 1x30s :D 1x15s :) 1x<10s :(

I think I'll create a rule that every time I go down to 10s holds, I'll stop. I think my last set was so poor was because I tried hard to get very close to the wall (under 2'), but it takes so long to get there that I get tired. Rests between sets were atleast a minute each.

3:45 PM 2x10 wrist pushups

Finished with 2x10 wrist pushups. Pushed a bit further out than normal. Started feeling uncomfortable close to the end. I'll stay in this position for the time being.

---

3:57 PM Roasted duck

Cucumbers

Coriander

---

4:16 PM 2 pieces of pineapple

---

6:49 PM Mixed grill

Chicken

Fried fish

Hot dog

Steak

Salad

Egg

---

10:00 PM Trigger point lacrosse ball work on front delts.

I recognized a small point where I had pain. Hopefully this will help along the road.

Animalonfire

Man, cooking is easy! You can pick it up no problem. Heat up butter>meat(diced)/onions in pan>wait until suitably cooked(chop veg, twiddle thumbs, pick nose....)(not "just under because they'll go a little bit more")> put the other veg in untill suitably cooked>something liquid(water,cream, mushed tomatoes, coconut milk...) if you want it saucy> decant into (rubber lined lids, clipped if you intend to travel) plastic boxes for later use. Temperature is a compromise between not denaturing food and cooking time, if you're really slick you can set things off to slow cook overnight or while your at school and you'll have a warm meal waiting for you 8). Roasting is pretty much the same, except you fry/grill the meat first, and put it all in a pot with some liquid (LID ON!).

Ding dong! you can cook anything you want, short of fancy pants pastries/baking type junk. details like how to chop [x vegetable] get googled :mrgreen:

Tarun Suri

I had to read your post twice and I'm still a little confused haha. I'm really a newb when it comes to cooking. In fact, I bought spare ribs from the market only to google and realize that it takes hours of preparation :shock: The bigger problem is not so much my motivation to learn, but I'm living in Singapore for the next 3 months, then 2 months of backpacking. I don't really want to invest in a lot of cookies equipment and stuff, especially with my limited budget.

But I really do have a passion to want to learn. I'll go home, probably continue living with my parents for a few months and then move out. then its 100% pure home made paleo :mrgreen: Can't wait!

Tarun Suri

Wednesday 26 January 2011

=========================

Today I started feeling sick. However, I did manage find jump stretch bands, which is awesome. Still can't lacrosse balls here. I already have 1, and I need 2 more. Any advice for a substitute? Can't seem to find the right hardness anywhere else.

12:13 AM Sleep

---

7:02 AM Wake up

---

7:30 AM 4 eggs

1/2 avocado

Some almonds

2 pieces of pineapple

---

11:08 AM Salad

Chicken

Chicken cutlet

Soya beans whoops

IMG_0000033_20110126.jpg

---

1:20 PM Sleep

---

3:55 PM Wake up

---

4:28 PM Lots of chicken

Coriander

Cucumbers

IMG_0000034_20110126.jpg

---

7:03 PM I'm starting to cough?!

---

7:33 PM Left foot toes getting numb while walking.

---

7:38 PM Chicken

Steak

Fried fish

Hot dog

Egg

Salad

---

8:49 PM Light headed

Am I getting a fever?

Lack of water?

Small cramp in middle right abdominal

---

9:16 PM Feel like my strength is escaping my limbs. Oh why am I in a mall.

---

9:56 PM Headache

---

11:00 PM Almonds

Tarun Suri

Thursday 27 January 2011

========================

I slept with 4 layers on. I was frozen! Shivering while the temperature is >25 degrees Celsius. The fact that I went to school and had so much to walk uphill and stairs did not help.

12:30 AM Sleep

---

7:30 AM Wake up

---

8:10 AM 4 eggs

Mushrooms

Almonds

2 piece of pineapple

---

11:10 AM Very sharp pain in left neck. Strongest since ever had so far. Even stayed for a few seconds.

Go see doctor.

---

1:49 PM Chicken Caesar salad

---

4:35 PM Grilled chicken

Lettuce

2 cherry tomatoes

2 slices of cucumbers

---

5:08 PM Feeling very weak

---

6:09 PM 2 servings of tuna salad

First time eating tuna in a very long time. I think I'll start eating more often.

---

6:32 PM Trying to nap on bus

---

6:59 PM Sleep

---

9:27 PM Wake up

---

11:47 PM Almonds

Tarun Suri

Friday 28 January 2011

======================

Still feel like crap. Low energy. Alternate between feeling hot and cold. Sometimes I thought I felt good, I should have accepted that rather than try a mobility wod. Not a smart move. I need to really not be active. Tomorrow I was supposed to go dragonboat racing and go on a 3 day trip. I play for it to, and I think I'll have to cancel both.

1:33 AM Sleep with 2 fever reducing cough reducing drowsy pills

---

11:29 AM Wake up

---

12:09 PM Breakfast

4 eggs

mushrooms

2 pieces of pineapple

almonds

---

12:24 PM 1 pill non drowsy

---

3:06 PM Chicken

Cucumbers

Coriander

---

3:59 PM Mobility WoD 9:

RSE95NF4eVc

---

5:26 PM Sleep

---

7:15 PM Wake up

---

7:46 PM Mixed grill

steak

chicken

fried fish

egg

salad

hot dog

---

Presently 11:20PM. I should be taking 2 tylenols and sleep in the next 10 minutes.

Animalonfire

Lol, I appreciate that my block of words wasn't the best guide. If I may be so bold as to try again:

To fry absolutely anything (doesn't work for massive quantities mind)

0) Dice everything

1) sear meat (cook it till it's cooked)

2) Add veggies (perhaps one variety for begginers)

3) Put something saucy on it

4) Eat

For example, just now I cooked some heart and various bits of veg. I heated up the grape seed oil (most exotic I could find on a shelf labelled "olive oil and specialty oils", this featured, about a dozen varieties of olive, a couple of nuts, rape, and grape. I was disappointed but to be honest, not surprised in the slightest), then I sliced up the (beef) heart and chucked it in, onions are sort of a special case so I put them in at more or less the same time, when the heart was done I threw in some garlic, jerusalem artichokes (looks like ginger, texture of carrot, taste of potato and nothing to do with Jerusalem apparently :? ), and leeks, all of which were diced. When it was all but done, I put in some mayo, and a nice smelling herb from the spice drawer. Ding dong, lunch for tomorrow. If anyone approaches me and asks "what's that your eating?" I'll politely tell them that it's dolphin penis, and ask them if they would like some. Surprisingly good fun :wink:

Tarun Suri
Animalonfire said:
Lol, I appreciate that my block of words wasn't the best guide. If I may be so bold as to try again:

To fry absolutely anything (doesn't work for massive quantities mind)

0) Dice everything

1) sear meat (cook it till it's cooked)

2) Add veggies (perhaps one variety for begginers)

3) Put something saucy on it

4) Eat

For example, just now I cooked some heart and various bits of veg. I heated up the grape seed oil (most exotic I could find on a shelf labelled "olive oil and specialty oils", this featured, about a dozen varieties of olive, a couple of nuts, rape, and grape. I was disappointed but to be honest, not surprised in the slightest), then I sliced up the (beef) heart and chucked it in, onions are sort of a special case so I put them in at more or less the same time, when the heart was done I threw in some garlic, jerusalem artichokes (looks like ginger, texture of carrot, taste of potato and nothing to do with Jerusalem apparently :? ), and leeks, all of which were diced. When it was all but done, I put in some mayo, and a nice smelling herb from the spice drawer. Ding dong, lunch for tomorrow. If anyone approaches me and asks "what's that your eating?" I'll politely tell them that it's dolphin penis, and ask them if they would like some. Surprisingly good fun :wink:

Animal, that was well written. I believe I understand now. All that remains is to experiment! I'm not going to lie, I'm not exactly sure when I'll man up enough to try but I will say this: I vow to become an awesome cook!... one day :lol: I will put a lot of effort when I get y own place which should be by next January. I'll pretty much be following the 30 day meal plan from the Paleo Solution book and then experiment with Loren Cordain's Paleo cookbook. Progress might be slow, but that will be my template.

Tarun Suri

Long time since I posted. I decided I won't put the amount of detail I have in the past. I'm just not sure how much value added I'm getting out of all that much energy.

About 2-3 days ago, I did Mobility Wod 9 (I think). Now I really got to find another lacrosse ball (or 2 somewhere). I feel like this is an impossible quest here!

Today I did WOD 110211. Details went something like this:

Warmup

-Slizzardman's fix your shoulder routine

-Ido's shoulder stabilization routine

-Ido's scapular mobilization routine

FSP

-Arch and Hollow Hold 2x30s

-6x10s HS wall (Thank you Ido for those routines! I feel like they helped enormously.)

-Practice headstands on rings (Got it once or twice, but really hard to control).

WOD

3 sets of:

Seated muscle-up (failed round 2) --> Support hold --> Backwards rolls to back lever tuck (flat tuck-ish in round 2-3) --> Pullout to straddle advance tuck ISO 90 front lever --> Seated hang and readjust false grip --> Seated muscle-up (failed round 2-3) --> Lsit (not parallel) --> Attempt at headstand (failed all rounds) --> Support Hold (failed round 3) --> Backwards roll to tuck back lever (flat tuck-ish in round 2) (not attempted in round 3) --> Pullout to straddle advance tuck ISO 90 front lever (not attempted in round 3)

5 rounds of 15s each:

-Advance tuck ISO 90 front lever

-Half tuck Lsit RTO

-German hang (on bar)

Prehab

2x10 Wall extensions (floor with very limited rom)

Remarks

-Left hands false grip is much weaker than right

-Lose false grip on pullout to front levers

-Still unable to do a headstand

-Round 2 had the rings too high up so muscle-ups were not possible

-Destroyed by round 3, pretty much gave up after headstand attempt and support failure

-While amazing effective, Ido's routines are very draining for now

-Wall extensions are limited by flexibility(?) of the lateral deltoid

-The whole shabang took me 2 hours to complete. Too much? Just about right? I wonder...

-Immediately after ate a fruit and grilled chicken with some coslaw

Video of round 1 to be posted in a few hours.

EDIT: Video is here:

olqUBUzlKFI

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Tarun Suri

Raining today, so no WOD, but I did do some prehab.

Slizzardman's shoulder routine

Ido's scapular mobilization routine (green-medium band)

Green band takes a lot out of me. I even need to pause between reps sometimes. I think I'll do green on non-WoD days, and Blue (easy) on WoD days.

No FSP's for me today since my shoulders feel smoked. But I will try some bridge walks. I hate them so much, because I suck at them so bad. I would need to be able to do a bridge before I can do any walks :wink:

EDIT: I chose to do Ido's Rotation into Arch using wall found here:

hbnmcALXXUY

Sometimes it amazes me just how simple everything becomes if you just know how to scale effectively.

Tarun Suri

Last few days were kind of hectic but it's all worth it. In a few minutes, I'm off to the airport for Bali (Paradise on Earth in my opinion).

I'm bringing my rings and stretch band with me. I don't know if I'll have internet but worst comes to worse, I'll update this thread when I return in 8 days.

Ciao!

Adam Bodestyne

Hey, I do not have any critique for your workout log, but just came to check out your progress. I remember that you had posted a while back about you getting really sick, so it is good to see you going strong again. (c:

Also: the food pictures - they make me hungry. but I love 'em. mmm.

Larry Roseman

Yeah, me too. I'm just checking it out to see how other people are doing it.

Getting my rings in about a week, so should get interesting then.

Curious if you've put on weight/muscle since starting? I think that was one of your goals.

From the looks of it I guess you're an ectomorph with a fast metabolism, so that will be hard to do.

I think it will be hard for most people to put on mass using rings - maybe not impossible - but difficult

with strength training volumes. However, the low volume is needed to reduce injuries and make the

endeavor practical at the early stages.

In any event, the reward is in doing it, expending the energy, having occassional great outcomes now and then, finding rays of sunshine, and beaming :-) It's the process rather than the result. If we get overly results driven I feel something more important is lost. For one thing, life is smarter than we are, and gives us the results that we deserve, although not neccessarily expect or even want. Cest la vie.

FIN

Tarun Suri

I am back from singapore :)

I worked out for the first 2 months quite diligently and completely slacked off since midterms started. Three out of the four months I ate paleo quite strictly from what was under my control considering I was only cooking eggs. Some meats were fried and likely rolled in dough beforehand. Besides that, there was no starches in my diet. At the end of the first month, I had lost more fat than ever. I was never that lean before, it almost scared me how quickly this had happened. Additionally, I was already getting bigger. It was easily visible in the mirror, my upper body was exploding (to the atrophy of my lower limbs though). By the end of the second month, I weighed myself and lost 2.5kg ... I was a little pissed haha. But it was weird considering the fact that I was still bigger. I was even leaner. I had more veins popping out than I ever had like all down my legs to my feet, etc.

Today, after 1 day of being back, I weigh 135-138 lbs. So I did gain some weight, albeit quite little. The last month, I started eating more and more starches since I wanted to taste the different foods in Singapore before I returned. Also, I would get to get my body used to my mom's cooking by the time I got home (It was terrible times in the bathroom!) and lower my appetite. I swear, few people were eating as much as I was in Singapore despite being twice my size. A typical lunch consisted of 10 onces of chicken, 5 eggs, chicken broth, mushrooms, cucumbers, and sometimes a fruit. I was doing this pretty much everyday.

Now I'm back and I'll be taking a slightly different approach. I used to consider that I would be at my strongest physical peak when I return from Singapore. Even if I had stayed dedicated throughout the 4 months, this would have been a flawed perspective. I'm going to look at making small but continuous improvements for the rest of my life. The approach is far more holistic and gives me a deeper sense of motivation. I plan on visiting the various blogs/websites/forums related to training daily, putting all the exercises on one page, rearranging it so that it makes sense (power first, strength after, etc.) based on Steven Low's latest post on the EMI forums, and then adjusting it either lowering or eliminating volume to make it feasible and taking into consideration my areas of emphasis or managing that week's workload. It may sound a bit complicated, but its really not. I'm using more heuristic approaches really. This way I get to do some of my favourite weighted exercises too!

While my diet definitely won't be as clean as before, I'm still going to be making a huge improvement from how I used to eat before I moved out. 8 hour IF window. 3 large meals a day. Protein shakes will be used to help recovery after training while transportation home. Emphasise on protein first in my meals, then eat whatever my mom cooked me (whether it has starch or not) and then add more food until I get full. Seems like my parents have become a lot more lenient with my having meats at home, but I doubt I could still cook at home.

Tarun Suri

Today's training (first in almost 2 months!)

Arch & Hollow holds 2x30s

SLDL 2x5 each leg, no weights

Power cleans 1x5xbar

Snatch pulls worked up to #105, then 2x3x95

3 rounds of: XR LSit (low), German hang, Front Lever (flat back ISO 90)

Deadlifts singles of bar, 135, 225, 275 (failed, grip)

3 rounds of: 1 negative russian dip + 4 dips, 5 inverted curls, 5 HLL

2 reps of supported bridges, 3rd rep failed.

My deadlift forms were all very horrible, this included the snatch pulls. I'll only be using the bar for all deadlift and power related movements for now until my form improves and I gain flexibility in the pike.

Bridges were done with the help of my friend who grabbed y legs by my calves and brought it to his hips. I then pushed into a bridge and tried to open my shoulders. Was extremely strenuous.

ASForum

Nice mind map on the 1st page. What did you make it in?

Did you get a chance to meditate and find yourself :) ?

Tarun Suri
crashnburn said:
Nice mind map on the 1st page. What did you make it in?

Did you get a chance to meditate and find yourself :) ?

Xmind for mac. Or else, there are online ones like MindMeister for Chrome web app.

I meditated occasionally, not very often to be honest. But despite that, being half way around the world without your usual social circle for support really brings a new perspective on things. I've learned tons about myself, and I've become quite a bit more ambitious in my goals (training and non-training). One key thing is that I've really learnt to look at the long-term journey of things and not the next 4 months type of thing.

Tarun Suri

April 29

Ido's shoulder and scapula routine (without bands, with weights, pulleys, PVC pipe, etc.)

Arch and Hollow holds 2x30s

HS wall 2x15s

Round 1

5 skin the cats (bar, chinup)

5 LSit pullups (low)

5 towel pullups

Round 2

5 skin the cats

3 LSit pullups (low)

3 towel pullups

Round 3

3 skin the cats

1-1-1 pullups, I think I failed the second

3 jumping towel pullups

Skin the cats were pretty brutal on the elbows, especially the left one. I'll need to take it easy on most straight arm work for the next 3 days. I'm shocked at how demanding they were on the core as well, which is why I did so poorly on the Lsit pullps.

Normally, I can do many reps of strict Lsit pullups easy.

Similar to how my grip failed on my #225 deadlift yesterday, this was clearly my weakest link again for towel pullups. But needless to say, my pulling strength drained quite quickly anyways and I had to resort to jumping at the very end.

No round 4 seeing as how poorly i was doing with the chosen progressions anyways.

I think my performance had something to do with my jetlag too. By noon, I felt quite sleepy.

Tarun Suri

When performing Straddle Ls today, I almost immediately experienced discomfort in my left elbow. I'm going to go cold turkey on straight arm work for 3 days (except HSs depending on how that feels), and retry with some very easy progressions and see how I feel.

Tarun Suri

Toe pulls

Arch and Hollow holds 2x30s

Slizz's shoulder stretches

8 inverted rows

1x10 Cast Wall Walks - 3 steps up

1x5 Pike Press HeS (wall)

1x10 Straddle Press HeS (wall)

4x20s HS (wall)

A few minutes for wrist prehabs, my modified version.

Cast wall walks went very well, next time will be 4 steps.

I feel like my hamstring flexibility is increasing, making the pike press easier.

Straddle was cramping up my abductors and glutes! I need to find a good stretch without compromising strength that I can use in my warmup.

A PR so to speak. My HSs were 99.5% Freestanding. Every few seconds, I would waver and barely touch the wall with nothing but the tip of my crotch (to avoid using certain language on the forum). Clearly, I barely got support from that, which is awesome! Breakthrough came from focusing on keeping a hollow during the handstand.

Wrist prehab was still giving me the feeling of a strand of muscle overlapping another occasionally. Especially on the left one. The active flexibility portion of the movement was mostly at the threshold just before the pain would occur.

Should have kept time for some hamstring stretches.

Awesome day :D

Tarun Suri

Warmup

Slizz's Shoulder routine

2 rounds of:

-10 Shoulder Passes with PVC Pipe

-10 Swings in the bottom of your Dip

Strength

3x3 of:

-Push Press #90

-Back Squat #165

Prehab & Flexibility

30s weighted pike stretch

3-4 minutes of hip mobility ala Starrett style

30s weighted pike stretch (much deeper)

10 minutes of miscellaneous hamstring stretches

1 minute lower back stretch hanging from bar

Yet again, wrist (just left this time) hurts when doing shoulder dislocates. I did some nerve glides, but it wasn't too effective for short-term results.

Those bottom ROM dip swings were insightful. I think I can use that as a way to measure every now and then how healthy my shoulders are.

I'm not surprised how bad my stretch shot down in my back squats. Despite not intending to work them often, I don't think it should take me longer than 4-5 weeks to get back to my #225 1RM, working them once every 10 days or so.

Push presses perceived difficulty varied based on technique efficiency. It wasn't too difficult and should go up by #10 next time they are worked, whenever that may be.

Must incorporate bridge work more to keep up with pike stretches.

Tarun Suri

Friday, May 6

Warmup

Foot MFR, Toe Pulls, arch & hollow holds 2x30s

Slizz's shoulder routine

8 inverted rows

WOD

3 sets of:

MU, 2 dips, L-sit press shoulder stand (pike), lower to hang, inverted hang, 2 Skin the cats, 2 Negative front Pulls (flat tuck-half lay)

3x15 seconds FL (flat tuck)

3x15 seconds HS wall

3x15 seconds German Hang

Finisher

2x10 Wall Extensions with 5 minutes of preventing internal rotation work

After all this time, hollow holds are still really strenuous. I worry sometimes that I go too far in warmups.

Failed MU on the first set.

Failed shoulder stand on the first set.

I have no idea how to lower to inverted hang from my piked shoulder stand.

Tarun Suri

Warmup

Slizz's routine

8 inverted rows

arch and hollow hold 2x30s (arms out)

Skill work

Handstand (wall) 1x30s PR

WOD

Round 1:

2 LSit to tuck planche

7 kipping swinging dips

2 LSit to tuck planche

5 russian dip negatives

2 LSit to tuck planche

3 HeSPU negative

Round 2 & 3:

2 LSit to tuck planche

5 kipping swinging dips

2 LSit to tuck planche

4 russian dip negatives

2 LSit to tuck planche

1 HeSPU negative

Prehab

2x10 wrist pushups, ido style, 1 arm at a time, 1 leg supported

a couple of minutes playing with wrist flexibility

Half of my planches quickly became tucked support positions.

I have trouble coordinating the swinging dip movement to recycle energy.

Russian dip negatives in these numbers are PRs for me.

My pressing strength sucks. This workout was brutal.

Tarun Suri

Thursday, May 12

Warmup

Slizz's routine

10 inverted rows

Arch (arms out), and arch (arms by side) 1x60s

German hang (bar) 1x10s

Front lever (tuck) 1x60s

WOD

3 rounds of:

5 GHR

10 lunges with 20lbs overhead (5 each leg)

20 shrimps (mostly beginner version) (10 each leg)

Prehab

Hip extensions

Hip flexor and hamstring stretches

I'm going to stick with arms by side for arch hold until it's very easy. Today's was considerably easier than I thought, but I'll keep this progression for at least a week.

I started to feel it in my elbows a bit in the front lever tuck position, but this may have had something to do with the german hang before it.

GHR's required substantial momentum. Quite a few reps didn't "lock-out".

First round of lunges was only about 8 reps, the first 4 which was with 30lbs, but was subsequently changes to 20lbs. I had a lot of trouble locking out.

Shrimps reps were performed as much as possible with foot of the ground (intermediate), but was not possible for all reps.

I have a new found appreciation for ballerinas because of hip extensions. I was sweating like mad.

Tarun Suri

Friday the 13th

Played around a bit with handstands.

Did a box pike press HS and not HeS for the first time.

Did about 3 sets of 30s ring handstand. Was surprised how well I could do them. Feet wrapped around straps of course.

Finished with testing my weighted chinup 1RM. I added 90lbs to my bodyweight. That's 66.6% of my bodyweight added. Based on Poliquin's recommendations, I'd want to hit about 100lbs to get my 75%, and then add reps :lol: