This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pogo's Training

Started by pogo69, October 26, 2010 · 139 Replies · 8,600 Views

pogo69

Monday, 14th March 2011

morning:

2 x sun salutation

2 x twisty hip things

side and front split stretches

sitting pike and straddle stretches

part of my shoulder mobility

no squats today; just didn't have the energy. want to change my previous 20-rep routine. probably go for a couple sets of lower volume higher weight for a while.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

4 rounds:

10 x clapping pushups

20' one-leg on floor L-sit walks

5 x swinging dip attempts on rings

40' ag walks

2 x 10 wrist pushups

well... 1st day back after a week off. did nothing but stretching and mobility for last week.

FSPs felt very strong in the 1st set (all FSPs bar manna are current 3 x 20s) and decidedly less so in subsequent sets. so my week off appears to have increased my strength, but decreased my endurance. I imagine it will re-balance over the next week or two.

WOD felt pretty good overall. I guessed wrong with the WOD; wasn't posted until about 7am tuesday morning my time, so I had to count back, but... apparently I don't understand the pattern at all!!

anyway... clapping pushups were great. each set unbroken and explosive - my endurance usually falls off in the latter sets.

L-sit walks were pretty ordinary, but I've only just started doing proper dynamic progressions for them.

swinging dips were an abomination; I really have to get my lazy arse up to the local park to have a play on the parallel bars, because I think I'm doing myself a disservice by learning them first on the rings.

ag walks were great! much better than last time.

wrist pushups - 1st time I've done two strong sets in full plank!! although, note to self... do them out the back on the foat mats, not inside on the carpet!! carpet burn to the back of the hands is... uncomfortable.

pogo69

Tuesday, 15th March 2011

morning:

2 x sun salutation

2 x twisty hip things

mobility

3 x slow controlled MU full ROM to RTO

3 x slow controlled neg XR strap HSPU

afternoon:

Ring series day, YAY!!

SSC FSPs

WOD:

3 sets:

MU -> tuck BL -> pullout to tuck FL -> lower to hang -> (reset false grip) MU -> L-sit -> 2 x dips -> L-sit -> press shoulderstand -> support -> bwd roll to tuck BL -> tuck FL

5 x 15s tuck FL

5 x 15s XR strap HS + slow neg. HSPU

5 x 15s GH

2 x 10 wall extensions

FSPs were tough; comeback week is kicking my arse thus far, very glad for the rest day.

ring series was ok. I still need work on the slow controlled MU, which really suffers when other work has fatigued me, but I'm confident the morning skill practise will allow me to slowly improve.

statics were good. feeling much stronger in the XR strap HS. I've been caught quite a few times now, where I've started pressing up into the handstand (I get there with a small kick and strong press), but I don't quite reach the straps; I can now quite consistently press and stabilise my way toward extending in the handstand. morning practise is definitely paying off here.

swarovski

my friend,

here's what I've understood so far on wod programming:

3 reactive/explosive strength wod (1 every other 3 working days)

A1 - Dynamic Push

A2 - Dynamic Pull

A3 - Dynamic Legs

4 maximal or submaximal kinetic strength wod

B1 - Handstand

B2 - Ring Series

B3 - Embedded

B4 - Leg Strength

isometrics (FSP) in general are not implemented in wod programming and have to be worked separately

here's how the monthly pattern seems to be laid out:

¦A1-B2-B3-A2¦B4-B1-A3-B2¦B3-A1-B4-B1¦A2-B2-B3-A3¦B4-B1

¦-01-02-03-04¦05-06-07-08¦09-10-11-12¦13-14-15-16¦17-18

wod110314 was number 13 in the sequence above, ie: dynamic pull.

A's are performed as 4 rounds

B1 are performed sequentially

B2-B3 are performed as 3 sets

B4 are performed either as 3 sets or rounds

As for exercise selections, those follows a pattern as well but are just too many for a concise note.

example: wrists pushups always ends A1 and B1; bridge wall walks ends B3; hip extensions B4; etc.

hope it helps to work around your time zone differences.

pogo69

wow... nice job!! and thanks... if you're anywhere near correct, I've completely misinterpreted just about everything!!

anyway, I'll use it the next time I'm out of sync with the rest of the world. not usually a problem, as the WODs are generally posted in plenty of time prior to my arrival home from work.

swarovski

thanks,

well... it seems correct so far as every new wod have been following that sequence for more than a year now.

pogo69

Thursday, 17th March 2011

morning:

2 x sun salutation

2 x twisty hip thing

front/side splits stretches

mobility

3 x slow controlled full ROM MU

3 x slow neg XR strap HSPU

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

3 rounds:

1 Embedded BL + 6 Tempo Assisted OAC (3 each arm)

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo XR HeSPU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Twisting Archups

did FL/BL advanced tuck; really need to video these as I think I flattened my back (15s is definitely longer than I've ever held flat tuck versions).

did MU->L-sit; 1st set slow controlled, 2nd/3rd progressively more kip.

did strap HeSPU on rings; 5 in the 1st round, 3 in the 2nd + 2 negatives, 4 in the 3rd round but with reduced ROM + 1 really slow neg.

archups - 1st round just me, 2nd round + 2.5kg, 3rd round + 5kg

did a couple sets of bridge practise with feet elevated to finish then had to finish cooking dinner.

left elbow is *really* sore now. think it was the combo of lots of elbow intensive work + whacking it on a hook on the back of the bathroom door. which reminds me.. go find an icepack!!

pogo69

Friday, 18th March 2011

morning:

yoga (sick of typing it out and it's the same every morning)

splits (ditto)

no mobility or strength skills this morning. elbow is still sore; I iced it last night, and it's a whole lot better, but I'm not pushing it. will see how I am this evening before making any decisions re: FSPs and/or WOD.

afternoon:

no FSPs. I tried a straddle L and while it didn't hurt, I could feel tension in the elbow and I'm not risking a real injury for a day's worth of missed FSPs.

WOD:

leg day, YAY!!

4 rounds:

40' senders (basically bounding as high as possible as I have nothing to leap over)

4 box jumps (about 2')

8 depth jumps - 4'

12 single leg deck squats - no jump because after getting out of the hole in the SLS I had no jump in my legs

3x20s seated toe point pike stretch

pogo69

Monday, 21st March 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

mobility

MU practise

ring HSPU practise

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

3 rounds:

5 x archups + 5kg

20m bwd tyre drag + 15kg

5 x RLL + 5kg

archups should have been a little heavier.

tyre drag was about right. wish I hadn't broken my dipping belt, it's hell on my hands having to drag the tyre by a rope.

RLL were too light but I couldn't figure out how to load more weight - I strapped an ankle weight through a 5kg weight plate and lifted it with feet through the ankle weight.

pogo69

Tuesday, 22nd March 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

mobility

MU practise

HSPU practise

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

10 x cast wall walks

5 x pike box press HeS

10 x straddle box press HeS

20 min elapsed wall runs

cast wall walks were good. concentrated on form again, closer to the wall and I think a straighter line than ever.

took the press HeS up a level tonight; I stacked a picnic basket on top of a folded up table to raise my head about 10", which is about 4" higher than my previous attempts. it made for very slow, very concentrated compression and pressing through the shoulders, but it felt much more like a press HS should, so I'm quite happy.

wall runs - kicked up the elapsed time to 20 mins with similar rest periods. I think I'm closing in on an actual 10min total, but without a proper timer it's largely guess work.

2 x 10 wrist pushups - full plank version again, YAY!

pogo69

Thursday, 24th March 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

very weary, so I left it at that.

afternoon:

still weary and had a long day at work 7:30am - 7:30pm. was going to leave it at just the FSPs, but I tried the 1st round of straddle L and it just wasn't happening for me.

pogo69

Friday, 25th March 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

mobility

MU practise

ring HSPU practise

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

was still seriously worn out friday arvo after work, and was going to leave it at the FSPs. went to watch my little fella play in their touch footy grand final and when I got home felt the motivation to give the WOD a go.

WOD:

3 sets:

2 x MU (only 1 in the 3rd set) -> 3 x press shoulder stand -> 3 x tick tocks

3 x partial ROM ring HSPU + 1 slow neg. (did these separately as I don't have room with my ring setup to do MU and HSPU in the same routine)

5 x 15s tuck FL

5 x 15s ring strap HS

5 x 15s GH

forgot the wall extensions.

well, I got through it all. my arms were completely worn out, my traps were on fire, but the statics felt really good. my ring HS is becoming much more solid; going to start playing with reducing assistance from straps.

pogo69

Monday, 28th March 2011

morning:

NIL.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

3 sets:

1 emb BL (inverted hang to 15s flat tuck BL)

5 x tempo tuck FL rows

1 emb PL (parallette L-sit to 15s flat tuck PL - 10s in the 3rd set)

5 x tempo wall PL pushups (hands a couple/few inches behind shoulders)

1 emb FL (inverted hang to 15s flat tuck FL - regular tuck in 3rd set)

5 x tempo HLL

the good - all FSPs in the WOD were flat tuck, although I short-changed the 3rd PL and went to regular tuck in the 3rd FL. this did at least tell me that I have developed the strength to perform a couple pretty decent sets of flat tuck variations of the big 3 FSPs without having trained them (all my FSPs are still regular tuck).

the bad - wall PL pushups are *hard*!! I'd always done PPP on parallettes with my feet raised on a chair, but having to apply pressure on the wall while keeping the forward lean somehow makes things an order of difficulty harder.

the ugly - have been horribly de-motivated thus far this week. no morning anything, FSPs were a grind and the WOD was a bit of a chore too.

pogo69

Tuesday, 29th March 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

shoulder mobility

cut short on the mobility and no skill work this morning. still a little under-motivated and under-slept.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

4 rounds:

shuttle run back/forth backyard

10 x towel rows

10 x tuck FL pulls

5 x tuck front pulls

as usual, pulling day exposes my weakness. I usually try to squeeze out 5 towel pullups as sub for the cirques, but I decided to sub down to rows; still came up short at 10x instead 15x.

the FL pulls were pretty ordinary; done in sets of 2x and 1x as required. tuck front pulls were pretty good; probably should have tried flat tuck but this was more than enough of a workout, as is.

Gavin Strelitz

Maybe it's time to take a break? A couple days off or even a light week usually gets me fired up again for training.

pogo69

Ye, that's my usual course of action; and I probably would but I did exactly that only a couple weeks ago.

This is one of those "life throwing nasty curveballs" leading to lack of motivation in general and sleep patterns even worse than their usual absymal state, kinda periods. I'll take each morning/arvo as it comes and do my best until things settle down again.

Gavin Strelitz

Good luck with it.

swarovski

see if you can show all this cool exercises and wods to a friend, kinda train with someone at a park or somewhere else. Just bringing something new to the mix may help.

pogo69

Cheers guys. I live kinda outta the way from most everyone I know, so I doubt I'll get friends joining in; even those who don't find most of what I do pretty insane in the first place!

My boys show occasional interest in some of what I do, but I'd prefer to keep their pursuits separate for now. They tend not to take any of it seriously, which is absolutely fine, but would piss me off if it interfered with my training.

Life will hopefully settle down soon enough. In the mean time, I'm progressing week to week so I've no complaints.

pogo69

Thursday, 31st March 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

mobility

MU practise

ring HSPU practise

woohoo!! managed to get through a full morning routine!

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

3 sets:

6 x circular archups w/ 5kg + whatever the ankle weights that I had attached to it weigh

10 x overhead lunge w/ 24kg KB

5 x RLL w/ same as archups

didn't do the hip extensions; was worn out and happy to have got something done.

swarovski

haha... I filmed my very first video of a MU back in february, but I didn't post that as my kid was running around me slapping my butt at every loop, it was pretty hilarious!! even more so, that video ended when he jumped on my back, just like curious george does, while I was on german hang...

probably thanks to past competitive experience, but I've learnt to just disconnect from everything that surrounds me while training or playing. You know, focus on inner visualization and the like...

cool, aussie outback would finally give me space for my own motocross track!!

pogo69
swarovski said:
cool, aussie outback would finally give me space for my own motocross track!!

we're not quite that far out of the way!! I live pretty much half way between the two big cities in south east qld - brisbane and the gold coast; about 1/2 hour away from either. which unfortunately puts us still right in the middle of suburbia.

pogo69

Friday, 1st April 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

mobility

MU practise

ring HSPU practise

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

no WOD.

pogo69

Monday, 4th April - Friday 8th April 2011

morning:

yoga

split stretches

mobility

MU practise

ring HSPU practise

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

playing as the mood takes me.

I've decided to take the sensible route and back off again this week. I'll keep up with the FSPs and morning routine, but otherwise I'll just play at whatever takes my fancy. last night it was a little ring work - couple MU, ring HS, skin the cats - and frisbee cricket with my youngest boy.

pogo69

well, I've been sticking with this week's plan. nothing but FSPs in the afternoon, the usual stretching/mobility/skill work in the morning.

I did throw in a couple light n easy runs this week; took my youngest boy with me. first one was wednesday, the second this morning. figure I'll do it 2-3 times per week as the mood takes me - I'd like to build up the volume and speed slowly with a view to the boy and I maybe doing either the 5km or 10km bridge to brisbane fun run in september.

I've always kinda loathed distance running. but it does make me feel good as long as my knees are kept happy (have suffered from ITBS for a long while and none of the usual stretching/massage etc therapies have ever worked once the distance gets up around the 5km mark).

I GSP'd the track this morning - 1.65km in a very leisurely ~11mins. I figure we'll add a little distance each week till we hit about 5km, then slowly pick up the pace.

right now... my calves are screaming at me. I own a pair of vibrams that have been in storage for a long time - used them to help ensure I stay off my heels. provided I can walk by the end of the day, I'm looking forward to a very long hot bath and some less inviting, but very necessary foam rolling.

pogo69

Monday, 11th April 2011

morning:

nada.

not a great start to my comeback week, but... I had a big sunday with a couple of mates, so it was all I could do to drag myself into work. nothing left over to do any kinda morning workout.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

3 x 5 GHR

3 x 10 SLS w/ 5kg plate

3 x 10 x 32kg KB swings

think I'll stick to this cycle of FSPs for another 4 weeks. with the stop/start I've had and the reduced energy I feel like I need the extra time to adapt - besides, I'm in no hurry.

GHR were ok; getting steadily better each time. a little more control and a little less momentum. I really should add these into my morning skill work, but the morning routine already feels a little full.

SLS also ok. still not as stable as I'd like. much better on the right than on the left.

did KB swings with as big a KB as I own - it was pouring down rain and my asthma's been playing up so I figured a drenched tyre drag was probably a poor decision.