This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pogo's Training

Started by pogo69, October 26, 2010 · 139 Replies · 8,600 Views

pogo69

cheers, re the sleep assistance!! I'll admit I haven't done much to try to overcome my sleep issues; mainly because I "cope" for the most part. but I know it negatively impacts my ability to recover and subsequently maintain volume/intensity.

I'll check out the books; maybe my wife can find something in the library, she practically lives there. I've considered trying a split sleep cycle, but I haven't put any time into figuring out a workable schedule. whatever it is, has to cater for my morning mobility/skill work.

speaking of which; ye, it's working really well. I'm making slow progress in each area that I'm working on. my mobility is better in hips, wrists and shoulders (main areas I'm working on). I really want to work in a 1-2 short (~15 min) static stretching sessions too to complement the mobility / active stretching, but... I haven't yet summoned the motivation.

as for the HS press etc; I *love* HS work. I'd like to add in more upside-down work, but again... insufficient motivation thus far. I think I might just do like I once did (wander around the house on my hands).

pogo69

Monday, 10th January 2010

morning:

mobility

3 x slow, controlled assisted MU transitions

back squats:

20 x 75kg

squats were up from last week's 72.5kg; I forgot that I was going to use the fractional weights and only go up 1kg. felt *heavy*, especially towards the last few reps. but ahhh well, 75kg for this week, it is!

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

4 rounds:

5 x towel pullups

5 x wide grip pullups, knees raised

10 x front pulls

well... the towel pullups felt a little better; so I'm dialling back my "hate" of them to a mild dislike. but now I "hate" wide grip L-sit pullups; I couldn't do more than one, so I subbed down to knees raised.

I really should be doing remedial pulling work. feel very weak in this area and I usually dread the pull-intensive WODs.

swarovski

don't buy those books if you don't feel ready to face the physically hardest time of your life, seriously, strenght training it's a joke, just google this keywords to get an idea of how much commitment you'll be required to put in:

sleep restriction

sleep hygiene

sounds easy and pretty straight forward but in a matter of days you're gonna be wasted! (if you commit 100% to it)

yea, borrowing from the library would be a better idea, you can skim through and give it back saying: "ok, one day I'll put the effort if I really need so and become a monk". It all depends on how well you are currently functioning and the quality of your awake time.

By the way, this is only true if you have a primary insomnia of chronic type and when pills will only worsen your condition in the long run. I'm not a doctor or an expert for sure, but I can cope with it better now.

Reading of you walking around the house on your hands back in the past made me understand why you're progressing so well on HS, on the opposite it's something completely new to me. Just to give you an example on how slow it goes for me, it took me 2 years to learn from total shocking to coolness (some criss cross and doubles) on rope skipping...

yea, I thought so, I have to lay out an effective daily routine drawing from pilates, mobility, resistance band and isometric stretching.

pogo69

mmm... ye, I'll get bek to have a look in the library for me. if she has any luck I'll have a look through... I know improving the quality/quantity of my sleep is probably important, but I've struggled to get through much in the way of reading of late. catch-22 really... so tired most of the time (mentally drained from work, also) that when I sit down to read, I fall asleep!! just not good quality sleep.

re: the handstands. ye... back when I was crossfitting, there were a couple of challenges going around that I attempted. one was to work towards a 100ft handstand walk; I got to 50ft. was living in a much bigger house back then and was working from home, so I used to walk around all over the place on my hands... should get back to that again, because it's true that just spending a lot of quality time on your hands improves your handstand stability out of sight.

the 2nd challenge was a straddle press to handstand; this one I got. could do it "reasonably" consistently, but only when fresh and strong. it took a while to work up to it, because my straddle flexibility has never been good.

anyway... I can't do either anymore. my free handstand stability is getting better after a couple months of WODs, but I really need to start spending more time upside down (among all those other areas of remedial action that I've identified).

it's a balancing act, this stuff... I enjoy handstand type stuff because I'm better at it than other stuff. but I really *should* be working more on pulling strength, because that's where I believe I am more deficient.

I also went through the skipping learning curve; probably about 10 years ago. we used to have to do about 10-15 mins skipping as warmup for kickboxing, but I could barely do the skip one leg at a time type thing. got there eventually and can now pick it back up whenever I want, but I have still never managed to figure out double-unders. just don't seem to be able to move that fast.

pogo69

Tuesday, 11th January 2011

morning:

mobility

3 x slow controlled MU transitions

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

3 rounds:

MU -> inverted hang -> BL -> pullout to FL -> MU -> fwd roll -> re-grip -> MU -> press to shoulder stand -> 10s RTO support -> lower to inverted hang -> BL -> pullout to FL

5 x 15s tuck FL

5 x 15s XR strap HS

5 x 15s german hang

I kinda made up the ring series as best I could from memory, because I saw the WOD earlier in the day, but by the time I came to do it, our internet connection had been shaped and the page wouldn't load!!

had to re-grip a couple times in the ring series. this was NOT a strong performance; all FL/BL tucked.

I'm writing this the morning after the WOD and my elbows are **fried**!!! bicep tendons on the inner elbow are really tight and sore. a pulling day followed by a pretty elbow intensive ring series and FSPs. think I might have to spend more time rolling on the hockey ball today (used it last night for some self myofascial release - it *really* hurt, but it did loosen things up a bit).

Gavin Strelitz

Mate, have you guys been affected by the flooding?

pogo69

No, we're all good; but thanks for the thought. We live about 1/2 way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, in a suburb surrounded by 2 rivers; but luckily we haven't been seeing as much of the rain. Also don't have water catchments in the area, so what we're seeing is likely running straight out to sea.

Was commenting to Bek, my wife, this morning; that not so long ago, we were on the tail end of the longest, most severe drought that South East Queensland had seen for a very long time. All the dams were most of the way to empty, severe water restrictions etc. We were certainly due for a turnaround... and we got it. It's a land of extremes.

Gavin Strelitz

Cool, good to hear that you guys are safe. I live in Sydney and have been watching it all unfold on the news.

pogo69

Thursday, 13th January 2010

morning:

mobility

3 x slow, controlled assisted MU transitions

back squats:

20 x 75kg

squats felt *much* easier this time; looking forward to (as much as one can with 20 rep squats first thing in the morning!!) upping it again monday.

afternoon:

NADA. tired and elbows still sore from the week's 1st 2 WODS, so I gave myself the afternoon off.

pogo69

Friday, 14th January 2011

morning:

NADA. still tired; always tired but this is ridiculous.

afternoon:

NADA again. barely made it through the day at work; pretty sure I fell asleep at my desk a couple times.

felt mildy nauseous and fell asleep for a couple hours. no exercise for me.

pogo69

Saturday, 15th January 2011

felt a lot better this morning; played a bit of catchup by doing thursday's WOD.

3 rounds:

1 emb. BL

5 x neg. 1/2 rev. MU

1 emb. XR L-sit

5 x under grip korean dips

1 emb. FL

5 x tempo cranks

did:

inverted hang -> flat tuck BL

MU -> XR L-sit RTO

inverted hang -> flat tuck BL

first time trying rev MU... damn!! they are really hard. I did a sort of a travesty of an assisted (feet hooked in the ceiling) 1/2 rev MU thing.

assisted korean dips; started with negatives, but decided to do assisted full ROM instead.

cranks were tucked FL.

pogo69

Monday, 17th January 2011

morning:

mobility

back squats:

20 x 76kg

back squats felt good. 1kg up from last week; not much, but still definitely felt it towards the last couple reps.

ditched the MU transition practise.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

3 rounds:

10 x 60kg front squat

5 x NLC

5 x arch ups

front squats felt good; form better than previous efforts, but still degrading in the last few reps of each set.

NLC are getting better; lowering under much more control and for a larger percentage of ROM. last set was pretty dodgy.

archups felt good; add weight next time.

pogo69

Tuesday, 18th January 2011

morning:

not a lot; toyed with a little mobility, but frankly, I slacked off.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

WOD:

10 cast wall walks

5 x pike box press HeS

10 x straddle box press HeS

15 mins duration wall walk

2 x 10 x wrist pushups

all 10 cast wall walks in one set again! I worked harder on form this time, trying to keep everything tight; made it a good deal harder, but still made it in the one set.

box press HeS felt good!! I raised my head about 1 1/2" this time. my wife reckons she can see a good bit of improvement in my active straddle in the straddle press, so YAY.

I don't have a stop'n'go timer readily available, so I've been doing 10 mins duration wall walks, rather than 10 mins total walk time; upped it to 15 mins this time, with the same sort of rest periods as previous.

swarovski

hey pat,

if you haven't heard of, check this out:

www.gymboss.com

I own one, as interval timers are scarce, though it's not the eighth wonder...

pogo69

Cheers mate; that is pretty cheap. Funds are always scarce around my place, so I don't tend to treat myself with much, but I'll keep it on the wish list.

Speaking of cheap treats; both of the books you recommended on treating insomnia were available in our local library. Bek went and picked them up last night and I've started on one of them (can't remember the title, but the one about identifying one of three main types of insomnia, written by a pair of sleep researchers). I doubt there was much use obtaining both at the same time as I read very slowly, mostly due to a very short attention span. But I'll wade my way through the first of them as best I can.

pogo69

Thursday, 20th January 2011

morning:

NADA. I have very much lost my morning motivation this week. I've actually been sleeping a little bit more solidly, so it can't be that, but for whatever reason, I just have not had my morning mojo working.

Oh... I forgot; I did do (not long before leaving for work, because I forgot at the time also):

back squats:

20 x 76kg

rather a grind, especially the last 5 or so. I guess that is the way that 20-rep squats are supposed to feel, but this was noticeably harder than monday.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

4 rounds:

10 clapping pushups

15 sec XR L-sit

5 dodgy attempts at XR swinging dips

20' ag walks

I scaled down rather a lot from the WOD as written, both in quality and quantity (ag walks, ouch!!), but this still kicked my arse. my triceps were very upset with me afterwards.

happy with the clapping pushups; all full ROM, tight core and explosive.

happy with the L-sits, but I didn't even attempt to turn the rings out this time. I will attempt some form of scaled L-sit walk the next time they come up.

swinging dip attempts were rather pathetic. very little ROM; almost no timing. I struggle to visualise these on the rings. I might try them up at the local park on the weekend, as they've recently installed some faux gymnastics equipment in a circuit along the bike path (parallel bars, pullup bars, something like stall bars, beam); they're all steel and would hurt like hell if you collided with any of it, but should be safe enough for simple stuff.

ag walks; my first time. they hurt. a lot. I was *not* happy with my form. hips too low; chest WAY too low. but it was the best I could do and 20' feet at a time was my limit.

overall, this was not my best WOD, but I was cognisant of the need not to push it too hard. I'm trying to listen to my body and walk the line between progress and recovery; I think all in all, I'm doing alright.

also mindful of the fact that I'm re-testing my FSPs next week!! I'll tackle this afternoon's WOD with a degree of reserve too, I think. and keep active, but without overly exerting myself on the weekend.

pogo69

Friday, 21st January 2011

morning:

minimal mobility; still felt very lacklustre this morning, but I at least did some neck and shoulder mobility work.

afternoon:

no FSPs today; got my re-testing next week, so I kept it to the WOD.

3 sets:

MU -> 3 x XR L-sit to press shoulder stand (partly RTO) -> 3 x bulgarian dips -> 3 tuck tick tocks

5 x 15s tuck FL

5 x 15s XR strap HS

5 x 15s german hang

ring series felt pretty good, although I'm feeling very worn out. MU were good, but I still really need to be working on the slow, controlled version. L-sit to press shoulder stand were good. final set of dips were regular dips, not bulgarian.

swarovski
pogo69 said:
Cheers mate; that is pretty cheap. Funds are always scarce around my place, so I don't tend to treat myself with much, but I'll keep it on the wish list.

Speaking of cheap treats; both of the books you recommended on treating insomnia were available in our local library. Bek went and picked them up last night and I've started on one of them (can't remember the title, but the one about identifying one of three main types of insomnia, written by a pair of sleep researchers). I doubt there was much use obtaining both at the same time as I read very slowly, mostly due to a very short attention span. But I'll wade my way through the first of them as best I can.

I used to have an heart rate monitor with basic interval timer functions, it may be more practical and versatile if it has to be on a wish list...

It should be insomnia answer then if I remember correctly. I found the other one (overcoming insomnia) being better though. I'll start from that.

pogo69

Monday, 24th January 2011

testing week!! re-testing my FSPs this week, so I'm taking it *really* easy and doing much of nothing other than single max efforts of FSPs. 2 each day M/W/F.

straddle L - on parallettes, one leg centre, legs straight but below parallel.

40s

tuck FL

40s

both up from 10s to 40s, so quite happy with that!! I probably could have held both for longer, but I decided to stop when I felt myself start to struggle.

pogo69

Wednesday, 26th January 2011

testing week part 2!!

tuck planche

40s

reverse plank

60s

40s again!! seems a common thread. again, probably could have held it longer, but I could feel form starting to waiver.

reverse plank plenty strong throughout, hips and chest high. time to move on to the bent leg MSH I think; will test that I can do it for at least a handful of seconds this afternoon.

pogo69

Friday, 28th January 2011

final day of FSP testing

L-sit on parallettes

40s

BL

40s

I probably could have gone longer on the back lever, but... it had started to weaken some and I figured I'll keep all the FSPs the same from next week anyway (except for the bent MSH which I haven't tried yet).

so... from next week, 5/6 FSPs will be 3 x 20s.

looking forward to it. looking forward to getting back to the WOD too. and being a bit more strict with diet for a little while, starting to feel heavy; I'm definitely somewhat "softer" post-holiday.

pogo69

Monday, 31st January 2011

morning:

mobility

back squats:

20 x 77.5kg

3 x slow, controlled assisted MU transitions.

damn!! the back squats felt *really* heavy this morning. it's amazing what one week away from heavy stuff will do to make heavy stuff feel *really* heavy. up another 1.5kg (which I know would have contributed to the struggle).

I definitely felt this morning, why 20-rep squats are often referred to breathing squats; cos I was sure sucking some big air.

while the squats felt heavy; the MU transitions felt really good. a week of nothing but FSP testing has made my bodyweight strength feel really refreshed; which is good because I'm pretty sure the new cycle of FSPs are going to feel pretty tough for a few weeks.

afternoon:

FSP SSCs with new cycle:

straddle L on parallettes with legs straight but below parallel

3 x 20s

tuck BL

3 x 20s

tuck PL

3 x 20s

MSH legs straight and parallel

3 x 5s

L-sit

3 x 20s

tuck FL

3 x 20s

each pair of statics with sets interleaved.

WOD:

4 rounds:

40' senders

15 squat jumps

10 box jumps

5 depth jumps

well; I feel like a train wreck.

the new cycle of statics wiped me out and that was just the warmup!! I was expecting it to take a few weeks to acclimate to the new cycle, especially as I've not only gone from 5s sets to 20s sets, but have also increased the total volume from 30s total to the required 60s total.

the MSH went well!! I was supposed to test it last week, but never got around it. same on the weekend. so tonight, I just got in and tried it. only 5s sets, but I might up that a little; certainly didn't have any trouble keeping my hips in front of my hands and legs straight and parallel to the ground. forgot I was supposed to try bent leg and/or hanging down, but I could manage 5s sets so I'll stick with what I'm doing.

the WOD was tough!! I've been doing my own thing on leg days, but with my now doing 20 rep back squats, 2 days a week in the morning, I'm going to stick with (at the very least, variations of) the gymnastic leg work, especially this plyo stuff. anyway, I've been kinda slack with the cardio type stuff for a while, especially for an ex-crossfitter. this had me sucking air like the old days!!

I must have been plenty bouncy in the senders, cos my wife saw me out the window and thought me very reminiscent of a kangaroo. the squat jumps and box jumps were rather lacklustre, one jump at a time, suck a few breaths in between affairs, but i gave them all I had.

the depth jumps I did from a ladder against the fence. I started at 3' which felt easy, so I went to 4' for the 2nd set, but my ankles didn't like it much, so I went back to 3' for the remaining 2 sets. kinda forgot my promise to myself to take it easy with this stuff given I haven't been doing a lot of this sort of work.

anyway... now I'm completely spent and really ought to find some food now that I've recovered enough to move again.

pogo69

Tuesday, 1st February 2011

morning:

mobility

3 x slow, controlled assisted MU transitions

afternoon:

FSP SSCs

same as yesterday, but upped the MSH to 10s from yesterday 5s.

WOD:

3 sets:

MU -> fwd roll -> MU -> L-sit -> press shoulder stand -> lower to inverted hang -> tuck BL -> german hang -> pull to tuck FL

5x15s FL

5x15s XR strap HS

5x15s german hang

wow; I really didn't think I was going to make it this evening.

again, even the so called warmup was tough. this new cycle of FSPs is very challenging, but I'm sticking with it, because I know that it's the increase in difficulty and volume at the same time that is taxing me so much.

MSH still felt good, although 10s sets were MUCH harder than 5s. tis about my limit.

the WOD was a toughie, especially after the FSPs taxed me so much.

ring series was good. MU -> fwd roll -> MU I can now do consistently!!! the 3rd set was a bit dodgy, but this is the 1st time I've managed it in each 3 sets. the morning MU transition practise is definitely paying off, because my false grip is much stronger.

swarovski

cheers mate (about my first ever MU), just trying to keep up with ya!!

pogo69

Haha... no worries!! It's a great feeling and I still remember it well.

I actually got my first muscle quite a number of years ago now (crossfit days - it was rather a more rare occurrence amongst crossfitters at the time). I had to kip quite hard to get up there at first, but it got stronger pretty quickly.

I'd almost forgotten muscle ups even existed for a long, long time, but when I started in on the GB WOD, I discovered the skill was still with me. I think once you've cracked it, a large part of it is skill. Many people have the strength, but still take a while to learn how to roll over in the transition. From there (the point that I'm well and truly still at) it's down to building the strength to get yourself up and over in a slow controlled manner.

On that note, I *highly* recommend regular (not as regular as I should in my case) but minimal practise with slow, controlled asssisted muscle up transitions to build both false grip strength and strength/stability in the transition. I got the inspiration to do so (part of my morning wake up) from Frits. While I'm still a way off having a truly slow controlled muscle up, I can now consistently manage a MU -> fwd roll -> MU which I've never been close to previously.