Too much training? WOD or not?

Started by Mikkel H.L., October 23, 2010 · 8 Replies · 2,885 Views

Mikkel H.L.

Hey GB !

I've been looking around in here for quite a while now and been doing some workouts with FBE and the FSPs.

I would really love to jump into the WoDs but i have some questions before i do.

Some stats:

15 years old, (16 in three months)

trained for almost 2 years with weights, but it was some bad Bodybuilding training and it's only been decent for the last year or so.

My problem is that I'm training handball twice a week for 1,5 hours each time and play a match every weekend.

Will it be too much to incorporate the WODs into my schedule?

Monday: Handball

Tuesday: Room for GB or rest.

Wednesday: PE at school and handball

Thursday: GB or rest

Friday: GB or rest

Saturday: GB or rest

Sunday: a handball match. could probably squeeze in a WOD here.

So what do you say? Will it be too much? If i put in 4 WoDs a week i will pretty much have no rest days at all..

Mikkel H.L.

My goals are strength and performance at the moment btw.

Neal Winkler

I'm a little warry of the GB 3 days in a row, but youre 16 so you have that going for you.

A rest day once per week is a nice psychological break.

It's up to you man. I say try it for a while and see how it works out. If you feel good and seeing progress then all is well.

Blairbob

MWF, post handball. Really, shouldn't be too much if you hydrate and eat between. Rest if you can 4 hours between at least.

Mikkel H.L.

Well aren't the WODs 4 workouts a week blairbob?

I can't do it post handball Monday and Wednesday, I can do post handball sunday :) should i go for this then ?

Monday: WOD Pre handball. Handball.

Tuesday: WOD or rest

Wednesday: PE and handball

Thursday: WOD or rest

Friday: WOD or rest

Saturday: WOD or rest

Sunday: Handball and WOD post handball.

Does it matter that I don't do it the same days every week? I rather have a flexible schedule like the one above, so I can switch between the 6 days that i wrote WOD at each week depending on how i feel.

Razz

I'd go with:

Monday: WOD pre HB, HB

tuesday: WOD

wednesday: PE & HB

thursday: WOD

friday: WOD

saturday: Rest

sunday: Match then WOD

you may also want to try and do the tuesday wod either thursday or friday so you have 2 days off per week. 3 days in a row (sun/mon/tue) may be too much. Anyways no matter how you decide to do it, only you can tell if it's too much. The only way you will ever adapt however, is to push through more volume than usual to get used to that new volume.

Mikkel H.L.
Razz said:
I'd go with:

Monday: WOD pre HB, HB

tuesday: WOD

wednesday: PE & HB

thursday: WOD

friday: WOD

saturday: Rest

sunday: Match then WOD

you may also want to try and do the tuesday wod either thursday or friday so you have 2 days off per week. 3 days in a row (sun/mon/tue) may be too much. Anyways no matter how you decide to do it, only you can tell if it's too much. The only way you will ever adapt however, is to push through more volume than usual to get used to that new volume.

Yea okay, I'll try to push through some more volume then:)

But why have u put 5 WODs in? 1.Mon, 2.Tue, 3.Thu, 4. Fri. 5. Sun... So actually i could switch them around a little as I want to each week :) I might give this a try when the X-rings are back in stock :)

Thanks for the help by the way :D

Razz

Wow I knew there was something wrong but couldn't spot it when i wrote it! :P

I'd remove either of the sunday/monday or tuesday WOD's. Probably tuesday as that'll give you 2 rest days per week. Just going to give you a glimpse of my own schedule so you can see it is possible :)

Monday:

Weights workout

Some form of ball game with uni.

occasional gymnastics training.

Tuesday:

Occasional weights or FSP workout

Gymnastics

Wednesday:

Swimming

Dance (yes, this is tough! :P )

Gymnastics

Thursday:

Weights or FSP

Gymnastics

Friday:

Swimming

dance

gymnastics or weights

Saturday:

weights

FSP

sunday: REST :D

gymnastics trainings range from 2-3 hours and always include either strength, conditioning or both.

Blairbob

The GB WOD is 4d/week. However, my boy's team only practiced 3x/week MWF. Therefore, we follow the order for the most part but the cycle takes longer. Some days, we can combine like press HS WOD+HS time/ladder/etc with legs. We can do this since we pretty much do the press HS and HS work as part of our daily basics.

Since you were concerned that 4d/w was too much, 3d is fine. It will take longer to cycle but you have to take into account how much handball takes out of you. Perhaps you could hit 4d/week, maybe you could not. I've never played so I have no frigg'n clue.