This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101022

Started by Coach Sommer, October 22, 2010 · 31 Replies · 4,036 Views

Coach Sommer

vTIfss5oF8w

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

15’ Cirque

10 FL Pulls

5 Naners

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Cirque.

4) Move immediately from the Cirque to the FL Pulls. If necessary, add weight to your ankles to make the FL Pulls sufficiently challenging.

5) Move immediately from the FL Pulls to the Naners.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

7) Remember to work hard, but to scale this workout as necessary.

kevinrohrbach

This is probably a silly question, but. When performing the shuttle runs I assume you need to sprint out (5, 10, 15m) and sprint back again, right?

It's just that last Friday I found that I was gasping, with my pulse over 185, after just 30s of that.

Today I'll be doing: sprint out/light jog back and see how that works.

lukie

I think that's the point brother. I found my heart rate elevated much more than anticipated. Awesome workout coach. I left puddles of sweat everywhere while feeling like I had an elephant on my chest. Beautiful!!!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Today is gonna hurt... here I go!

kevinrohrbach
lukie said:
I think that's the point brother. I found my heart rate elevated much more than anticipated. Awesome workout coach. I left puddles of sweat everywhere while feeling like I had an elephant on my chest. Beautiful!!!

I thought as much. Oh well, even more reason for me to feel feeble.

WU

light run for 10'

3 rounds: 10 inclined pushups, 10 inclined pull ups, 10 squats

wrist routine

FSP:

2x30s: (Bent straddle-V + flat tuck FL); (adv. Frog + backward PU); (bent LS + flat tuck BL)

Workout:

4 rounds:

  • 60s shuttle run (5m, 10m, 15m, 20m, 15m,...)
    10' cirques (1)
    10 FL pulls - tuck
    5, 4, 4, 4 naners (2)

Ido's shoulder ROM

(3)

**************************************************************

(1) I don't have access to a rope, so I did them on an inclined bar. Pulled myself up enough so that I got 3 negatives in on each side.

(2) My forms leaves something to be desired. I don't think I impressed the girls who passed me running around the adjacent track every few minutes.

(3) Did I mention I feel feeble? A good workout nonetheless! I'll be hurting tomorrow.

Mikkel H.L.

Hey just a quick question: How long do you guys spend on the average WOD without warmup,prehab,stretching, cooldown etc.?

Want to see if i can fit the WOD's into my schedule :)

Joshua Naterman

I always finish in 30 minutes or less, with the exception of handstand days. Those are 45-60 minutes for me sometimes, but that's usually the HSPU ladders that do me in.

Justin Kyle

Warmup:

L-sit 2x30 sec

BL straddle - 3x10secs/ Full back lever 1x3 secs

L-sit press to stand on parallettes 3x5

WOD - Four rounds of:

60 sec shuttle runs

15' Cirques (I was very surprised at how well I did these! Straddle L up to the top and one arm negative w/ feet on rope going down)

10 FL pulls - scaling = Full FL/Straddle 1st set, Straddle FL/adv. tuck, 2nd set/ Straddle FL, adv. tuck 3rd set/ adv. tuck/tuck 4th set)

5 nanners

Notes - This workout was really tough but I had a lot of fun with it. I felt surprisingly strong on the cirques. My latts will be screaming when I wake up tomorrow morning ha. God bless guys

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Major Scale Down but still a workout none the less! :shock:

Warmup:

500m Row

6 inch worms

6 SLS (3/Leg)

5 Pullups (Strict; CTB) -> 2 Naners

3 Tuck Rows

Fundamental Static Positions:

Rest

WOD:

4 Rounds:

60s Shuttle Run

15 Inclined Pelicans

10 Front Lever Pulls (Green Elastic Assistance; Slower Tempo)

5 Behind the Neck Strict Pullup

Rest 2mins

Finish with 2 x 10 First Knuckle. Shoulder Drills & Stretch.

I shouldn't have practiced Naners yesterday as I couldn't do them today :( oh well lesson learnt thanks Coach haha.

Jonathan Mead

Any recommendations on a supplement for Naners if you don't have access to a high/low bar or a bar that has clearance above it? Only thing I have is a door hanging pullup bar with 6 inches of clearance above, which I'm going to guess isn't enough. :)

Also, any supplement recs for Cirques? Wish I had a rope, but don't (yet!)

Razz

Cirque replacement is 10-15 towel pullups..think it's 15 but can't remember exactly.

Jonathan Mead

Today's workout:

Warmup:

Joint mobilization routine

5 pullups

2x10 second all FSP -- opted out of doing a full set of FSP today as this is my first SSC and have already done it three times previously this week. Next week I'll try four full days.

WOD:

4 sets of:

Shuttle runs 90 seconds

5 FL pulls

I upped the running because I didn't know a replacement for cirques and naners, since I don't have a rope or bar with clearance. This week seemed a little leg-light, so I wanted to incorporate a bit more leg work anyway.

3x3 SLS (each leg)

2x1 sideways walking lunge (not sure what this is actually called)

Cooldown:

Shoulder ROM routine

Static stretching

Excited to complete my first week of WODs and SSC! This is just the beginning of something awesome! :)

Jonathan Mead

Nice, thanks Razz, I may do that later tonight. Def. good grip training!

Wheelson

Hey quick question. There are no bars anywhere accessible to me, so what would be a good ring based substitute for the naners?

muscle ups?

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

4 rds:

60 sec shuttle run/jog

Rest ~15 sec

10 Towel Pull ups

Rest ~15 sec

10 Adv. Tuck FL Pulls (1x10, 1x10,1x10,1x6 and 1x4)

Rest ~15 sec

5 Naners(1x5,1x5,1x5,1x3 and 1x2) (from broomstick hanging on XR straps)

Rest 3 min between rds

Note:

This WOD was tough. I feel, lately, that many of these WODs have been metcon based. This is opposite what I thought of for max strength. This is Crossfit all over again!!lol I know that you have to throw a metcon in every now and then but I'm just wondering that if done frequently, will it will take longer to get stronger this way?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
treemantyler said:
Today's WOD:

4 rds:

60 sec shuttle run/jog

Rest ~15 sec

10 Towel Pull ups

Rest ~15 sec

10 Adv. Tuck FL Pulls (1x10, 1x10,1x10,1x6 and 1x4)

Rest ~15 sec

5 Naners(1x5,1x5,1x5,1x3 and 1x2) (from broomstick hanging on XR straps)

Rest 3 min between rds

Note:

This WOD was tough. I feel, lately, that many of these WODs have been metcon based. This is opposite what I thought of for max strength. This is Crossfit all over again!!lol I know that you have to throw a metcon in every now and then but I'm just wondering that if done frequently, will it will take longer to get stronger this way?

I found it more Strength based :shock:

I'm still weak anyways... :mrgreen:

Tyler Schmitz
I found it more Strength based

I'm still weak anyways...

Really?? I think WODs that are slow and deliberate like ring strength series are more for max strength. Like today, when I'm out of breath and continue exercises when breathing hard, I feel like it's building metabolically rather than for strength.

Joshua Naterman

You need work like this to balance out the strength work. You're working at a lower intensity, despite burning more energy, and you are getting a completely different set of training adaptations. Vascularization, increased local storage of sugar, increased mitochondrial count, hypertrophy if your body needs it to handle the workload.

As far as strength is concerned, you build strength at many different intensity levels. You do not constantly have to be pushing 90% of your max to get stronger.

To me, the hardest part of this workout is the towel pull ups! :P I'd rather be climbing rope.

Cole Dano

I haven't posted a WOD report in a while but have been doing them 4x/ week. 2x on Tues, Thu, Fri this week.

I could see some signs of progress on this WOD compared to the last time a similar one came up.

Since the rope climbing is a strength element for me, i treated it like one without worrying about how many.

The first time i tried any rope climbing element earlier this summer, it was plain impossible, i did manage to climb up a bit on my very short rope without the use of legs or tears and could see that this was a clear improvement, though quality did degrade from round to round.

The FL pulls in the past also seemed impossible, no rhythm and quickly tired. I did full tuck FL Pulls 10x, by untucking even slightly the numbers went down quickly, but again there was a major improvement from last time when all i could do was hang my head in shame.

For Nanners i just worked the pull overs which again i found much easier than before when it was sheer luck to get over the bar. I couldn't get into the support position yet which i think was at least in part due to my set up which i hope to improve on soon.

For the shuttle runs i did KB swings for 30 sec and clean and press each side. As i'm rehabbing a shoulder issue i kept it light at 16kg but there was absolutely no shoulder pain in the press, thanks to the routine Coach showed at the seminar which has worked wonders.

Kenneth Manning

Yeah, these WODs with multiple rounds involving no rest between exercises certainly are metcon focused. And I obviously need work in this area, as my performance, especially in these pulling-centric metcon WODs, really just drops off a cliff from round to round. Anyway, yesterdays' WOD:

4 rounds:

stationary bike sprints 60 sec x 4 (high resistance, bpm 175-180)

Rope pullups x 12, 10, 10, 10

FL pulls adv tuck 10, 8+2, 6+3+1, 4+3+2+1

pullovers 5,5,4,4 **(these again were done trapeze-style so I had to do them one at a time to stop from swinging too much. 5 sec between reps in first 2 rounds, 10 sec between reps in last 2 rounds)

-Rope pullups went far better than usual today, obviously because they were the first pulling exercise in the series. Was able to do each set for at least 10 reps unbroken, though I really paid for it in subsequent exercises!

Tyler Schmitz

Interesting..Thanks Slizzardman! Yea I agree, I'd rather be climbing rope than towel pull-ups too!

Joshua Naterman

Wow, this was tougher than I thought.

4 rounds: 60s jump rope and kettlebell swings. Actually, a 47 lb home depot bucket.

5 towel pull ups (t shirt wrapped around truck straps and rope... I forgot my towel!)

10, 8, 7, 7 FL pulls, mostly flat tuck. No elbow issues!

5, 4, 4, 1(maybe 0, I can't remember) naners. My elbow flexors were completely fried by the end of round 4.

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2x (30s Bent Straddle-L + 20s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 30s Reverse Pushup)

2x (25s Bent L-sit + 10s Unassisted German Hang)

WOD:

4 rounds:

60s Shuttle Run

5/5/4/3 Towel Pullups

9/8/6/5 Tuck FL Pulls

4/4/3/1 Tuck TOPs Pulls

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Stablization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:38rfn9r9]Argh! This is one of my least favourite WOD types. I seemed to get through the Towel Pullups okay, but thought they might be frying me for later so decided to skip a some reps there in the last couple of sets. It didn't seem to help. This WOD was very difficult today - I was often much too close to failure - even though I'm sure I've done better on it in the past.
    [*:38rfn9r9]I suspect my substitution of Tuck TOPs Pulls is pretty horrible (my equipment doesnt permit Naners), as they're too close to Tuck FL Pulls.
    [*:38rfn9r9]Haven't quite worked out a proper setup for doing Ido's Scapular Stabilization Routine yet.

Patrick Patterson

Once again pushing the lower limit of scaling. When one is this far down in scaling things, I realy don't know what to do.

Statics Warm-up (as per slizzardman: 20 sec x2 of L-sit low bent, BL flat tuck, Straddle-L low bent, FL flat tuck, Adv Frog Planche, Reverse PU position)

4 rounds of:

(Run in place for 60 sec) (for 30 sec) (for 30 sec) (for 30sec)

(3,3,1 Towel Pull-ups) (0 Towel Pull so 3 regular Pull-ups) (3 towel pull-ups) (4 towel pull ups)

(5,2 tuck FL pull)(5 tuck FL pull)(5 tuck FL pull)(5 tuck FL pull)

(3 pull overs)(3 pull overs)(3pull overs)(3 pull overs)

rest 3 min, 5 min, 6 min

When at this low of a level I really don't know what to do. If the WU calls for 10 reps of something (like fl pulls) and I can only 5 reps of the easist possbile variation (regular tuck) then what do I do... do those 5 (which is already me working towards faliure... and I hear so many people say to work hard but never work toward faliure)? With pull-overs I can only do 3 reps and then using the doorway to assist me in pulling my legs up over, and of course inbetween each rep I'm dropping down off the bar and resting for at least 20 seconds... so again does this mean that I'm working way above my level? If so what do I substitue (as Pull overs are the easiest exercise in the book for Multi-Plane Pulling). So, since I've already scaled everything down as low as I know how, where else is there to go? As you can see I cut down the running in place time to 30 sec and I rested more and more inbetween rounds, and inbetween each exercise I'm resting about 30-60 secs as well, but still... Am I spinning my wheels here? Is the way I'm scaling really not working? Instead of working to faliure for 5 tuck FL pulls, should I somehow find an even easier exercise (which would be what by the way) which would alow me to do 10 controlled full reps without working toward faliure? As may be obvious from my tone you can see that doing these WOD has been rather demoralizing. I don't want to give up, but I don't know what to do... any advice? Thoughts?

Freeflyer

looks you you did a fine job scaling it to me. Don't worry so much about it. Just follow the general theme of the day if you can do the movements.