This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Patrick Smith's Training Journal

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, October 21, 2010 · 106 Replies · 7,926 Views

Quick Start Test Smith
4:30 am

* Soft tissue work

* Warm up plus prehab

* FSP warm up - 2 sets of 10 seconds of WHS, GH, L-sit tuck, PB support, arch hold

A1. 5x40 seconds FS with 65 lbs plus 30 second rest (I went REALLY low because I wanted to make sure I was able to go the full sets/time. I will raise the weight next time I do these.

A2. 5x40 seconds PB dips plus 30 second rest (some of the last reps were foot supported)

B1. 5x40 seconds medium grip chin ups plus 30 seconds rest (last two sets wide grip pull ups with feet support - some of the last reps were feet supported

B2. 5x40 seconds diamond push ups plus 30 seconds rest

Starting tomorrow, I will be able to do 30-35 meter sprints (or 35m sprint, turn, 35m sprint, turn, etc.)!! Finally figured out a way to organize things and do it (not much space around here). Soon I will set up a sled or something so I can do them weighted, but for now I will just do regular sprints. I will alternate every workout between Poliquin's routine (on his site) of 6x40 sec/2 min (work/active rest), standard tabata 8x20/10, and a 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m, 60m, / 2min, 2min, 1min, 1min, 1min routine.

Quick Start Test Smith

I've been so busy with studies and work that I forgot to update this log! I will resume on Monday!

Quick Start Test Smith

I was so tired from yesterday's studies and work that when my alarm clock went off at 4:30 am this morning that I turned reached out and turned it off in my sleep! I don't even remember doing it lol!

Annoying because I wanted to do the workout, but I must have needed the sleep more.

I managed to get in some pull ups and push ups late today, though. I actually set a private record in pull ups. I did 10 in a row in total, with only a little kip on the 10th. I was amazed! 5 pull ups used to be hard for me, but I've made some astonishing gains in pulling strength since I started doing 10x3-5! To top it off, I set another PR in wide grip pull ups. 5 in a row for two sets! I'm always so impressed by somebody being able to do lots of pull ups, and now I'm getting there. Very exciting.

Quick Start Test Smith

4:30 am

Upper body warm up

A1. 13 x 3 chin up variations (7 sets pull ups, 6 sets wide grip chin ups)

A2. 13 x 3 push ups with elevated feet and hands at hips (would have been weighted but couldn't wear the vest or backpack properly)

30 second rest between A2 and A1.

Quick Start Test Smith

Man, I'm so busy.

Did about 2 hours of fasted exercise this morning. Going great so far!

Quick Start Test Smith

Had a great workout today. Using a great gymnastic warm up DVD as a reference, I wrote out an awesome warm up. It felt awesome to do, and I felt very ready for training when I was done.

Thorough Warm Up

A1. 15 x 3 Pull ups - plus right leg 20 second hamstring AIS (first 5 sets of pull ups + 15 lbs, rest = BW)

A2. 15 x 3 PB Dips - plus left leg 20 second hamstring AIS (all BW)

B1. 5 x 20 second side kick hold

B2. 5 x 10-20 Decline sit ups with 15 lbs (I was just barely able to set up a "semi decline bench" to do these on... it severely limited my ability to do them. I will make it much stronger next time)

Neck and calf finisher:

A1. 3 x 75 weighted double leg calf raises (forgot to use weights today, but I will next time)

A2. 3 x 10 neck extensions (raises) with 25-35 lbs on neck harness

A3. 3 x 15 second maximal single leg calf contraction each leg

A4. 3 x 30-40 second banded neck flexion hold with packed neck

Quick Start Test Smith

I've been training, just haven't updated this journal for a while... I had a BUNCH of college stuff to do and I lost track of it.

Training-wise, I'm doing a three part program. Cut, lean bulk/high volume, and then max strength and dynamic strength. Each section is 4 weeks long (maybe 6, but I haven't decided yet). Once I am done with the first cycle, I plan on releasing for documentation a big PDF file of the exact routine that I did, when I did it, my diet for each section, before and after photos, and before and after strength and conditioning stats. It should be interesting.

I just saw the picture gallery from Sept 2011 Seminar. I hope I can afford to go the 2012 Spring Seminar, but if not, I hope Coach decides to offer some sort of film product of his classes or seminars in the future. By the looks of those photos, people who are not going to the seminars are missing out so on much...