This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Patrick Smith's Training Journal

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, October 21, 2010 · 106 Replies · 7,926 Views

LaughingTiger
Patrick Smith said:
Can't wait for Friday!! I get to front squat and test my max! Oh, and it's my 18th birthday. :mrgreen:

Hey Patrick,

I hope you are as happy with your front squat max test as you were with the results of your static tests. I hope you have a great birthday! 18 was a fun year for me. It's hard to believe that was 20 years ago. :)

Philip Chubb

Patrick,

I was on a couple of different forums, I don't remember which ones, and saw that someone had a coupon code for TPP in their signature. I am not sure if you have one or not or if the code still works even but a quick google search may find it.

Quick Start Test Smith
LaughingTiger said:
Patrick Smith said:
Can't wait for Friday!! I get to front squat and test my max! Oh, and it's my 18th birthday. :mrgreen:

Hey Patrick,

I hope you are as happy with your front squat max test as you were with the results of your static tests. I hope you have a great birthday! 18 was a fun year for me. It's hard to believe that was 20 years ago. :)

Thank you, Lew! I haven't tested my front squat before, but I sure can't wait to see what it is. I estimate 150 lbs max, though, just because of my wrists and I have to rack it. It's waaaay harder than the back squat, but then again, it seems like you're engaging a great deal more muscles than in the back squat.

Time flies when you're having fun, right? :lol:

PHILIP said:
Patrick,

I was on a couple of different forums, I don't remember which ones, and saw that someone had a coupon code for TPP in their signature. I am not sure if you have one or not or if the code still works even but a quick google search may find it.

Hey, Philip! I've seen those, too. Some of them take as much as 5-10% off, and are very handy when you're making larger orders. Thanks!

Quick Start Test Smith

3kBXx87BmDI

:mrgreen:

LaughingTiger
:lol: If you're eating cake for your birthday, I hope you get something better than that.
Quick Start Test Smith

:D

I won't have any cake, but I'll make one for my birthday party all the same. My family loves cake! I specifically designed it for them. My sister will bake it and I will decorate... Usually it's a big rectangular cake with two layers, but this time it will be two smaller and circular cakes with two layers each. One will have vanilla on the bottom and chocolate on top, and the other will have chocolate on the bottom and vanilla on top. I will then construct a chess game on top of each with M&Ms. Yellow vs Green, and Red vs Blue. XD

But I won't have any. I'll have chicken and sausage gumbo :D


  • 20 minutes of intense soft tissue work 1 hour before training
    Arm swings, jogging in place, shadow boxing, and just playing around for about 5 minutes
    Ido's scapular mobilization plus lots of external rotations and those banded raises with your arm behind you and close to your back. That was followed by Ido's squat clinic.
    Group 1 - 3 rounds of... 1-2 minutes rest
    5 pull-ups
    3 fairly close-grip chin-ups
    Group 2 - Front Squats :twisted:
    ex. Reps X weight = a single set
    Warm up sets: 3x60lbs, 3x75lbs, 3x 115lbs
    Work sets: 3x120lbs, 3x120lbs, 3x150lbs
    Finished with calf routine

The third work set was my attempt at my true 1RM, but my wrists were getting pretty painful so I didn't push too hard. In fact, I had to stop at three reps (I think I could have done 5-6) but I was afraid that if I did, I wouldn't be able to re-rack it in the hang position. My wrists were very uncomfortable.

It was so fun. Tightening up and getting to the bottom of the full squat and then having to push off real hard is really fun. My wrists are holding me back, so I'll do some searching on how to strengthen them further. I also need to work on the proper technique and keep my elbows a bit closer medially rather then laterally. That will probably help.

The online predictor website says 170 is about my 1RM. I'm very pleased with that. Goal = 250 lbs by next year (not Christmas, but same time next year).

I have decided to up my protein intake from around 200 to just a bit less than 250 a day. That puts me in the 1.5g/lb area, which is what Jeff CST recommends and somewhat less than what Coach Poliquin recommends. I want to GROW and I want to be thick. 8)

Quick Start Test Smith

Today was the day of my birthday day party (at lunch time), and I was planning on training in the morning, but I needed to get a LOT of yardwork finished and I was feeling like some soft tissue work and active recovery would be nice, so I did that. Later on, I played WT and in about 45 minutes I'm going to the pool to spend some time exchanging painful pool tube blows with my friends. :lol:

My traps and upper back are quite sore from the front squatting I did yesterday. I suppose it is because I had to deadlift the weight up (which was easy) and then power clean it into a racked position (I haven't set up my FS rack yet so I can't start at racked). I've read that power cleans are really great for shoulder and trap development, so that explains the soreness. Just another benefit from FS.

Can't wait till Monday. I've been getting about 250 grams of protein a day. I expect it will eventually translate into much greater gain from my training compared to my measly 150-175g protein before. :)

Quick Start Test Smith

Oh my goodness. As I'm getting closer and closer to starting college and getting my part time jobs (yes, jobs :lol: ), I'm starting to be a lot busier outside the house. Running all over town getting papers, signing up for things, registering items, looking for a car, etc! I look forward to the time where I wake up, train, go to college, leave college and go to work, come home and do mild homework, and sleep. Repeat and repeat.

Today I had to drive all over the state and get IRS and college related papers signed and sent until about two o'clock in the afternoon. I got my pre workout protein, multivitamin, and a carrot about 30 minutes before my workout. I would have liked to do it 15 min. pre-WO, but I had to get it early so I could walk across town and get something filed. I got back about 30 minutes later, nicely warmed from the summer heat and the walking. Very pleasant indeed :D

I was planning on doing the FSP, lower body explosive WOD, and then 10x3 DL, but it was so late that I decided that I would skip the FSP today, that way I could jump straight into my lower body WOD and DL session. HOWEVER, el poder de La Naturaleza was not in favor of me training outside today, and before I was fully done with my warm up, She sprang at me with lightning and thunder. Terrified, I fled into the house, disappointed, cowed, and resigned to doing my deadlifts. I warmed up with 3x75lbs, 3x105lbs, and 3x120lbs. That was followed by seven work sets of 3x150lbs for a total of 3,825 lbs lifted that session.

  • Morning = 20 minutes of intense soft tissue work + calf routine
    Afternoon = Walking and jumping rope as the warm up.
    Group 1
    10x3 DL (WU=3x75lb, 3x105lb, 3x120lb. Work=7 sets of 3x150lb)

If the weather permits it, I'm going to try to get some swimming in the old pool. Well, not really swimming (it's only 28-30" deep) but more like smashing and bashing with pool tubes.. :idea:

I made my main true protein order today. I ordered creatine monohydrate, 1000 fish oil capsules (no joke :lol: ), some essential amino acids (they were way cheaper than the BCAA's and have all 8 of the "top" amino acids), Diindolylmethane (which I've read is great for balancing out excess estrogen in men, something I can see I need), and a pound of L-glutamine for a glutamine load. This is going to be awesome. Heck, it's ALREADY awesome. I've already noticed a difference (in the last week and a half or so) in my muscle mass and leanness from getting about 200+ grams of protein a day. For the past few days, I've been getting around 240g+ protein daily. It's making a big difference.

Life is good. :mrgreen:

Quick Start Test Smith

Ouch, that wasn't a great training session. First of all, I just didn't feel warmed up. I think I need to develop a trunk warm up as well as shoulder/hips/legs/wrists. I did some bridges and then started my hollow hold FSP. The actual holds felt fine, but whenever I lowered my feet to the floor my back would clench up and feel quite painful. :?

Whenever I feel pain during training, Slizzardman's comments about it being better spending a month or a few to avoid injury than to spend 18-24 months recovering from one. I couldn't shrug that thought, so I stopped the FSP.

The WOD was a HS one, and going into it, I felt fine. I was doing Cast Wall Walks, an exercise I find very hard, when my lower right back started clenching up and I felt a few sharp pains when I moved. They weren't really severe, but quite painful nonetheless.

I'm going to go see my chiropractor tomorrow to see if he can do something for it. In the meantime, I will work on the warm up topic.

Quick Start Test Smith

Haven't gone to see my chiropractor yet, so I did a very thorough soft tissue, MWOD, and rehab session. In the afternoon I did a bunch of swimming intervals with various runs in high thigh water depth and jumps.

Can't wait till I can set up my garage as a training facility so I can train at 5 am in the mornings. I'm just waiting for some family things to clear up right now. Hopefully it will be soon. In the meantime, my brother is going to haul a big truckload of grey stone, gravel, and sand mix from a local area to part of our property so I can start training there. I'll just set up a few lights. The main problem without the gravel is that I get covered in sticky mud whenever I train outside back there.

Quick Start Test Smith


  • 15 minutes soft tissue work
    My warm up (posted in warm up thread) which is a big combination of a AMPED warm up, Ido's routines, and leg raises
    3 rounds of 15 second perfect Hollow hold and 15 second Arch up and 30 second Dead Hang
    WOD 3 rounds... 2-3 minutes rest between rounds
    * 60 second shuttle run
    * 5 Box jumps
    * 8 Jump squats
    * 5 Depth jumps
    * 5 GHR
    5 minute rest
    10x3 Front Squats (WARM UP = 3x50%, 3x60%. WORK=7x3x70%) with 1 minute rest between warm up sets and 2 minute rests between work sets
    Finished with calf routine (straight leg hops and isometric contractions)

I only did HH, AH, and DH as my FSP WU today. My elbows were feeling quite sensitive (probably from the WT) and I didn't want to push them too far. I will up the prehab for them and work extra hard on keeping good posture. On the same note, I've decided that this FSP SSC will be 12 weeks long instead of 4 weeks long. I don't think 4 weeks is long enough for me to make solid enough gains, but 12 weeks should be very good. I want my FSP warm up to be incredibly easy by the end.

Other than that, I felt quite strong today. I like my current warm up, even though it took 20 minutes to do. I felt very good once it was over and ready to do the WOD.

The front squats felt strong today. I kept away from maxing out, but I plan to add 2.5-5 lbs a week while staying away from my max until I have at least a 200+ FS.

I cannot wait until my creatine can glutamine come in! I can almost feel the good that the glutamine will do me already...

I'm looking at the "Warm Up And Preparation" by Jordan Jovtchev (http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/ma ... ION/Detail). It looks intriguing and it's only $10... I may get it. I wonder if anyone here besides gymgreg has tried it...

Philip Chubb

You can feel the glutamine effects already? That must be some seriously powerful stuff! :mrgreen: I just ordered from the site you use so thanks for finding it! Good training to you, my friend!

Quick Start Test Smith

YEAH! :lol:

Seriously, it's supposed to arrive on Monday. And True Protein is my favorite business ever!

No FSP/WOD today... I managed to get soft tissue work in before work this morning, but I got back late and then I had to rush off to a job interview. I feel like doing something so I'll just go out and do some intervals in the 3' deep pool that we have. It's hard to run in water, but it's so easy on the joints!

I probably won't be able to do much training tomorrow either, because I have to get up early and start clearing out a part of our property. Then I'm going out of town to find some crushed limestone for my outside training area. With that set up, I'll be able to train outside at 4-5am in the morning instead of having to wait until about 8:30 am, when everyone is awake. I'm a big believer in getting the bulk of your training done early in the morning, simply because if you have a busy schedule it's hard to fit it in at the end of the day.

Quick Start Test Smith

Today was a fast day, with me only consuming 7 grams of protein powder and a bite of banana every hour. No fat besides fish oil.

I didn't do any training today besides intense foam rolling and soft tissue work in the morning; however, I did spend six hours outside in the blazing sun (around 90+ degrees, I guess) doing intense carpentry, moving, yard work, and then some WT. That was like general conditioning.

Really glad I'm doing this. It's not really that hard to keep up the nutrition aspect of the fast, but it's satisfying to challenge my self discipline.

Quick Start Test Smith

Sunday

Didn't do too much today besides playing a bit of WT and soft tissue work. Felt like I needed some rest.

Today / Monday

4:30 am - began the following:


  • 20 minute soft tissue work plus MWOD
    My regular warm up
    WOD:
    3 giant sets with 3 minute rest
    * 5 SLS per leg + 30 second rest
    * 20 meter sprints
    3 minute rest
    3x3 DL (I forgot the weights that I did!)
    5x5 SL stiff legged DL with around 100 lbs
    Calf routine

Quick Start Test Smith

  • 4:30 AM Workout
    20 minutes of soft tissue work
    Warm up plus hollow hold and arch up hold
    WOD
    4 rounds with 2-3 minutes rest between rounds
    * 60 second total WHS (Round1-2=15,15,15,15 - Round3-4=30,30)
    * 4 explosive push ups
    * 10 feet supported dips on blocks
    (didn't have the PB set up so I couldn't do PB dips. :<)
    Finished with 2x10 wrist push-ups and 2x8 diamond push ups
    10x3 chin ups with 1-1.5 minutes rest between sets. Medium speed up but very slow on the way down. Started from dead hang, held for a second at top.

My True Protein stuff came in yesterday. :) :)

Quick Start Test Smith

Phew! I did a tough bit of intervals this morning! I felt weak for quite a while afterwards! :lol:


  • 4:30 am
    20 minutes of soft tissue work
    Very thorough warm up plus leg raises
    6 rounds of 40 seconds all out shuttle runs and 2 minutes jogging.

The first two rounds were okay, but after that it got difficult very fast. Couldn't stop moving, though. Sprint, jog, sprint, jog for about 18-20 minutes straight.

My abs are sore from doing all those chin ups and handstand holds yesterday LOL!

Quick Start Test Smith

  • 4 am
    20-25 minutes of soft tissue work
    Thorough warm up
    3 rounds of... with 2 minutes rest between them
    * 10 killers
    * 3 SLS per leg
    * Short sprint
    Finished with 1x5 breathing front squats plus short rest and then 1x10 breathing front squats. Started with too much weight, so I couldn't do more than five first set. Then I tried lowering it and it fixed the problem, but my wrists couldn't handle the time under tension very well so I had to stop.

Quick Start Test Smith

  • 4:30 am
    15 minutes soft tissue work
    Thorough warm up and plenty of prehab
    A1 10x30 second WHS + 30 second rest
    A2 10x3 narrow grip chin ups + 30 second rest

Feeling good today! Handstands felt very strong after I got all warmed up. I used to struggle to do a 15 second WHS... I am much stronger now.

Quick Start Test Smith

No official training today... there wasn't any time. I got to bed late last night so I couldn't wake up early to train, so I woke up at seven o'clock. I had to go out on an island trip with some family at eight o'clock and didn't get back a quite a while. I took advantage of the sand, though, and after walking over the island for about 40-60 minutes, I did a bunch of 20 meter sprints, push ups, chin ups (on this wrecked piece of metal machine thingy), and hack squats with a heavy log. Then I did a short farmers walk in front stance cross grip with another heavy log.

It was a nice off day and the weather was great :)

Quick Start Test Smith

4:30 am: FSP plus a bunch of snatch pulls, weighted lunges, chin ups, and front squats.

Quick Start Test Smith

Today was a bunch of chin ups, deadlifts, single leg squats, and dips.

Quick Start Test Smith

The internet has been OUT at my house for the last few days. That's why I haven't been able to update my journal.

Quick Start Test Smith
4:30 am

Soft tissue work

FSP Warm Up - 2 rounds w/ 30 seconds rest

A1. 10 second Hollow Hold or tucked L-sit

A2. 10 second Arch Up

A3. 5 second German Hold

A4. 10 second Wall Handstand

A5. 10 second PB support hold

A1. 5 x 8, SLOW, Stiff legged deadlift - rest 45 seconds

A2. 5 x 4, REALLY SLOW, L-sit tuck chin up variations* - rest 30 seconds (*pull ups, close pull ups, chin ups, parallel grip and wide pull ups)

Rest three minutes after completing all sets of A1 and A2

B1. 5 x 6, X0X0, SLS on Box - rest 30 seconds

B2. 5 x 6, X0X0, Box jumps or 8 squat jumps - rest 30 seconds

I start my first official day of college today! All the basic courses and mathematics, too! :) 8)

And boy golly gee did SLS feel strong today. I could feel my legs pressing down with control the entire movement instead of just at the initial push off.

Quick Start Test Smith

4:30 am

* Soft tissue work

* Mobility and prehab

* Neck and calf strength

1:30 pm

* Warm up

* WT

* Sprints

:)