This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101018

Started by Coach Sommer, October 18, 2010 · 22 Replies · 3,770 Views

Coach Sommer

IVzjUhRhtpA

Complete four rounds:

40’ Ag Walks

60 sec Swinging Dips

10 Russian Dips

5 Germans

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Move immediately from the Ag Walks to the Swinging Dips.

2) After the Swinging Dips move immediately to the Russian Dips.

3) After the Russian Dips move immediately to the Germans.

4) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

5) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement.

Mathias Flækøy

Substitute for Germans?

James Portillo

Hey Coach, just have to say I've been following your WODs for about a month and a half now and they are seriously the best workouts that an athlete can use for all around conditioning purposes and they are simply fun and keep you interested. I have a question (or two).

If you do not have the adequate space available for Ag walks, what would be an appropriate substitute? Also, I've tried doing swinging dips on the rings (hanging from pull-up bar in an irritatingly narrow doorway, which won't be changed for several months) but I don't believe I'm getting the most from them, so I'm not exactly sure how to scale those as well. The germans obviously I can and will have to scale down, but I also might have problems trying to find some way to do the russian dips (or russian dip progressions, rather).

I generally don't have too much trouble finding some way to scale down the WOD but there are a few instances such as this where I find it difficult to substitute certain exercises without taking away from the original plan of the current WOD.

Joshua Naterman

Substitute for Germans would really be PPP or planche dips I believe.

My my my, that's a ton of Russian dips. I'll just be doing lots of regular dips today, I can see that! I'll probably do some low volume swinging dips as well. Oh AG walks, how I have missed you... :P

This should be fun!

Joshua Naterman

James: If you don't have the space to do uninterrupted AG walks, you can just go down and back in the space you have available! IF you have 5 feet to moe forward, you could do 5 feet forward and then 5 feet backwards, repeat 4 times. That'll get you the 40 feet!

For swinging dips, those are a bit dangerous off of a hanging pull up bar, I would probably do max speed dips for now instead. If you are really anxious to get the full benefit you may need to hang your rings at the local park off of the swings or monkey bars. You could also try breaking down the 60s swinging dips time (which most of us can't do anyways) into support swings if you have dip bars available OR into max speed push ups and max speed dips. 15s max speed dips, 15s max speed XR push ups or FX push ups. This would give you some of the dynamic benefit of the swinging dips if you can't safely perform them where you are at!

I definitely recommend making PB for this purpose if you have the space.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
slizzardman said:
Substitute for Germans would really be PPP or planche dips I believe.

My my my, that's a ton of Russian dips. I'll just be doing lots of regular dips today, I can see that! I'll probably do some low volume swinging dips as well. Oh AG walks, how I have missed you... :P

This should be fun!

Good to know the substitution for next time I did Clapping Pushups instead :P

Warmup:

1000m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

6 Single Leg Squats (3/Leg)

12 Ring Dips

12 Pushups

FSP:

3 x 1 Front Lever (Flat Tuck; 5s, 5s, 3s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (PB Low; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Straddle; 10s, 10s)

WOD:

4 Rounds:

40' Ag Walks

60s Swinging Dips

10 Russian Dips

5 Clap Pushups

Rest 2 mins.

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups on Knees. Shoulder Drills + Stretch.

Justin Kyle

Today WOD:

4 rounds of:

40' Ag walks

60 sec swinging dips (These were brutal. I usually got to 40-45 secs and I could hardly even do support swings)

10 Russian dips (6+4, 6+4, 5+5, 6+4)

5 PPP on the ground

2x10 wrist pushups

-Holy mother of pearl my triceps are fried. It's a deep burn. Good stuff!

Alvaro

still weak from past week flu, also 2 months almost no training due to injury and house reforms, new born son and flu :shock: . I don´t feel I have lost strenght (yes at HeSPU) but no improvement since july due to lack of training.

3X

static "ag walks" with fists (I can not support yet with my hands due to the injury I am healing)

30 seconds 2x15 XR swings (not prepared for this, too hard but when I went to the dip station swinging was much easier)

2x5 partial russian dips on hight paralletes(like 50% of the movement then hitting the floor with my but, and up again)

5 XR negative dips (felt a bit better with this but also due to the lack of intensity I gave to this wod)

2x10 wrist pushups (in fact I think I have worstened at this :( I don´t know why , even them more frequently for wrist healing.

overall no stamina (flu and no sleeping), next time I´ll do this WOD with more regular dips as I am not strong enough for more advanced elements :|

Joshua Naterman

4 rounds:

40' AG walks: I alternated between face down and face up to keep elbow and shoulder stress within safe limits for me at the moment.

60s PB swings with a few dips inserted: My left forearm twinges right near the tip of the elbow at the bottom of the swinging dip so I know I can't be screwing around with too much yet. 60s swings is actually pretty darn hard! The inherent instability of my dip bars could be a factor in this...

2-4 Russian dips plus 6-8 regular full ROM dips for 10 dips total: This was good. I feel nothing bad.

5 Germans: Well, the first round is pretty funny because my PB currently have a rope across them so that I can do some HLL windshield wipers. This was in the way and made Germans impossible. So, I just did FX PPP for the rest of the reps! Focus was on explosive press up.

2x10 wrist push ups on the wall, 45 degree lean or so.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

One of the WOrst WODs Ive done in a while bc had a lot on my mind and just wasn't feeling it today

4 rds:

40' AG walks

2 x 30 sec swinging dips in tuck(terrible form and hardly bent arms)

2 x 5 Russian Dips

5 germans (bad form)

Rested 3 min bet. rds

Finished with 2 x 10 wrist pushups with ft elevated 2 1/2 ft high

All dips done bet. trampoline side and truck bed side

Had no endurance today!! Felt weak! Probably bc I ate really bad yesterday and not much! (btw, with no alcohol!!)lol

Germans felt like basically 5 more swinging dips

Just wanted to get this WOD over with so didn't put forth much effort

Hope everyone else does better than I did!

Kenneth Manning

Man.... this one just did me in. I had to make some adjustments as the rounds progressed to "try" to stay within the rep-scheme parameters. Anyway...

4 rounds:

-40' ag walk x 4 -- I have 18' of space to work with so I just went down and back and turned and went a few more feet. Body was not perfectly straight like the athlete in the video, hips were sagging a bit

-60 sec swinging dips x 4 -- actual dip numbers for each round were: 15,15,12,13 -- not all dips were full, I'm sure there were some partial range dips in there. These felt much better in the beginning of the workout (of course) but ended up decimating my triceps for all subsequent exercises (which led to much frustration....)

-russian dip protocol went like this: 5 russian dips+5 PB dips (no rest in between); 5 russian dips +3,2PB dips, 3+2 russian dips+3,2PB dips, 3+1+1 russian dips + 2+3PB dips [very disappointing here, but man my arms were getting WIPED OUT round to round]

-PPPs on floor x 5,5,3+2,3+2 -- hand placement was not as far back as usual because by the time these came around every upper body pushing muscle was toast.

2x10 wrist pushups on knees (tried straddle position on toes but just didn't have it in me..)

**I worked all weekend and didn't get much sleep, not really a valid excuse because I felt really good going into the workout. Was frustrated with today's performance, but am looking forward to bouncing back tomorrow.

Joshua Naterman

For me it is a toss up between dynamic press and dynamic legs for what beats me up the most, but it's usually these dynamic pressing days!

Kenneth Manning

Yeah, the pain of todays workout made me forget how awful (wonderfully intense) dynamic leg days are! Though with these dip-centric dynamic upper body days, I can always feel the muscle soreness before I even get to bed.

Sooner0430

Let me start off by introducing myself and telling you a little bit about me. I am 41 year old male and have been working out most of my teenage and adult life. I started off like most people working out with weights. As I was growing up I worked out at home with my weights and a machine. When I started working and earning money,I was able to go to the gym. Jumping ahead to last summer I decided to forgo the gym (because of finances) and started doing cross fit at home, which consisted mainly of different variations of pushups, pull ups, leg and core work. I then purchased P90X and did that for 2 rounds. After researching and trying to find different bodyweight exercises I found gymnastic bodies and after doing a lot of reading and researching in the forums I new this was exactly what I had been looking for. So I got the book and started learning about the different exercises. Well I started my journey on the first of August by doing Killroys program and then I started doing the WOD's and having fun with it every since. Sorry for all the babbling and probably wrote more that you care to read.

On to my stats and goals. I am 5'8", 145lbs (depending on when I weigh). My goals are to become stronger, healther and have more endurance. I know that by doing these types of workouts it will take a longer for me to get to reach my strength goal but I am a very patient person.

Well since I have learned so much from you guys on here and from some of your videos on YouTube I have decided it is time for me to start posting and sharing my WOD's and please if anyone sees anything that I should be doing different please let me know. Anyway sorry for the long introduction and I look forward to posting with all of you on here.

FSP:

Straddle L 2x15s

FL 2x15s

Planche arms bent 2x15s

German Hang 2x15s

L sits (use 2 folding chairs) 2x15s

Reverse pushups 2x15s

WOD

40’ag walks 20, 20, 40, 40 (first 2 sets 20’ because forgot to do 40’)

60s XR swings 15, 45+15, 39+21, 40+20

XR dips 5+5, 5+3+2, 4+3+3, 6+4

Clapping pushups 10,10,10,10

Wrist pushups -------------

Did not do wrist pushups because my right wrist is sore. I think I have over worked it a little too much,

so I need to let it rest a little more.

Alexander Moreen

Slizzardman what do you mean face down AG walks?

WU:

5,5,5 one set close grip/neutral grip pullups and chins

10,5,5 one set pushups, Hindu pushups, ppp

1 min hollow

1 min arch

5, 6x10s one set HLL to v, then 6 10s holds going from v to dead hang

15 HeSPUs facing wall

3x3 band assisted OACs/arm

Run couple minutes

20/leg lunges

FSP all 6 basic ones 3x20s

WO:

4 rounds with 6 minutes between

60' AG walks( messed that up, ug my triceps)

45s swinging dips- I hate doing these on the Parks parallel bars, they are way to low

7,8,8,5 single bar Russian dips ala slizzarmans video on straight bar muscleups

6,7,6,9 Germans with 1s pauses on the first and last set and slow negatives on the other 2. It always takes me a rep or 2 to find the balance on these. Last set felt really good though.

Joshua Naterman
Lavastine said:
Slizzardman what do you mean face down AG walks?

I'll post my video tomorrow, you'll see! It's basically ag walks in push up position. They are WAY easier.

60' AG walks( messed that up, ug my triceps)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :twisted: That is funny!

Saber2

ok so I have been out for about a month from training. New job, just got married and got back from the honeymoon. did some running but no lifting

Today my variation was

4x20 Aligator walks

4x10 dips

4x10 PPP

(Still sore from yesterday doing 100 burpees)

Joshua Naterman

Right on! Now it's time for a WOD to really celebrate things! :lol:

Congratulations!

lukie

FSP???? Clue me in what is FSP???

Joshua Naterman

The 6 Fundamental Static Positions. L sit, FL, PL, BL, straddle L, manna.

lukie

Rockin' workout!!! This workout tore holes into my EGO and then into my conditioning!!!

&@"ing had to do the Ag walks backwards which left my lats exploding in spasm.

Couldn't complete 60 secs of swinging dips without failure.

Couldn't complete 10 Russian dips in a row.

Couldn't complete 5 Germans without failure!!!

Can't wait for tomorrow

Coach Sommer
... What would be a good substitution for Germans? ...

Either Wheels or clapping pushups.

yR4T2fvXHKg

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Patrick Patterson

This is exactly the kind of WOD that pushes my limits of scaling as well as what's availble to me equipment wise. All I have is a doorway pull-up bar and push-up bars for the floor. Buying rings and/or making rings and p bars, etc... is not doable for me right now, and there are no places outside (at parks or whatever) that have any p-bars or anything. So when we have these kinds of WODs (that need p bars, and ones with rings like ring strength series WODs, or muscle up exercises, etc...) I really don't know what to do. In terms of scaling, again it's like I'm pushing beyond the lower limits of how to scale things (or so it seems). For this WOD I could do 30' of very poor form Ag walks, I put the push-up bars elevated between two things (about 2.5 feet off the ground) and tried to do the "speed" dips, but after 15-20 secs of that I'm already at failure, so then I switch to jumping dips, but can only do about 2 those, so then put my feet on the floor and just do full assisted dips, but even then I'm reaching faliure before the 60 sec is up. That was for the first round BTW. Then for russian dips... I have no idea what to do, so I attempt a few straight bar dips (which I can do with my pull-up bar lowered into the door frame), but I can't even do 1, so I go back to the push-up bar dips and again can't even do 1 normal dip. But then I feel I've reached the point where I'm not even following the concept of the WOD anymore... that is it seems the swinging dips is supposed to be dynamic and the russians something else, but I'm attempting to do 60sec of regualr dips, followed by 10 more regular dips... which seems pointless... but then I don't know what else to do. Finally I'm able to do 5 clapping push-ups on my knees. For round two I tried to do 60sec of full assisted dips (that is the easiest dip variation I can think of) but again raching faliure after 30 sec and then just trying to hold myself up for the remaining 30 sec (but not being able to). In the end, I can somehow get through the workout, and I'm getting a work out, but I wonder if I'm really just spinning my wheels when I'm trying to do it this way. I have this same problem, as I said before, with so many of the other WODs. The only WODs that I can seem to be able to really follow, scaled in a way that even seems to make sense, are the ones like 15 Oct 10 WOD, where all I need is the floor to do all the presses. I've been following coach's program ever since the book came out, and until this summer, was doing the program as outlined in the book, but then decied to switch to the WODs as everyone recomends, however, my problem with the WOD's is what I've outlined above, and when I have days like this it seems like I should just go back to the original program in the book (where I can do everything with my pull-up bar, and everything is scaled in a way that "makes sense"). Testing myself as well, all of my scores for the fsp's have plummeted since I began doing the WODs. So... I'm not really sure what to do. Is it worth it to try to get going like this?