Help with my Dad

Started by MCem222, October 17, 2010 · 10 Replies · 3,074 Views

MCem222

Hey guys

I'm curious to see what you think on this

My dad is 53 and has been suffering a series of medical problems related to his lifestyle. For the past few decades, hes been overweight and not very active. He isn't obese- just overweight (I have no idea what he weighs).

A few weeks ago, after moving furniture, he began to get bad joint pain. He went to an orthopedic surgeon, and apparently has the beginnings of arthritis in his hips and knees. A week later, he began getting shoulder pain, and discovered that he has a small calcium deposit in his shoulder. He is getting physical therapy for both of these, but I'm worried that PT won't be a lasting solution. His orthopedist said that he will continue getting worse unless he starts exercising on a regular basis.

My dad is getting a recumbent bike (the orthopedist says he should start using this 3x/week), but I'm guessing this will get stale soon enough. I'm wondering- what are the chances that somebody his age will be able to turn things around and get in shape?

I'm trying to give my dad ideas about exercising, but I wouldn't know how to work around his joint issues (at least until his PT ends). I have been giving him tips about diet, but he can't approach it with the dedication I would like him to.

Either way, seeing my parents age is huge motivation for me to stay healthy and keep learning. I'm a freshman at college, and massive amounts of people neglect exercise, sleep, nutrition, drink and take drugs, and overall don't take care of themselves or know how to. Thats a whole other issue, but Id still like to help my dad if its possible

Thanks

JL

It is one of my motivations for using a simple and accessible manner to maintain strength and athleticism. People do not take their health serious. Too many people think, "Why should I exercise, I can walk." Osteoporosis is real, and strength training can help maintain bone structure and integrity. I don't ever want to be that hunched over guy with the cane, or in a wheel chair.

Joshua Naterman

Yep. Pavel's "super joints" seems to do a lot for many people with similar issues, you may want to look into that.

Some of that stuff is genetic, but an awful lot has to do with how people live their lives. Not being active enough, not eating good wholesome foods, too much stress, and then the surprise when the diagnosis hits.

Julekman

Also Google Ross Enamait web site, there is lot of inspirational stories about people who start to practice in the `50 and achieve excellent results, even in `70. Some of them are truly amazing !

Blairbob

More activity, especially regarding joint health. More than likely Omega 3 supplementation and a careful look at his diet. Lots of water, exercise, yadda yadda.

Alex Dienaar

What Blair said! Take a close look at the diet, alot of modern foods are pro-inflammatory and contribute to conditions like arthritis and other nasty beings.

Do some checks on Paleo and check robbwolf.com for more info on that!

Omega 3 supplementation, glucosamine and Arnica-based creams (like Traumeel) work really well for joint pain, but again works best when diet is cleaned up.

Further, exercising the muscles around the joints with high reps for bloodflow and lactate buildup for better recovery. combined with progressive specialized rehab work. (Can't be specific here, it depends on what hurts)

And after the pain has regressed, some good strength training to ensure it won't happen again!

I'll be more specific when I get on a real PC instead of my blackberry.

And about his dedication on the diet; change is simple, not easy. In this case it is necessary, maybe you need to consider asking him if what he eats/drinks is worth all the pain in his upcoming years.

MCem222

Thanks for the good posts guys!

I noticed that a lot of people here eat advocate paleo eating. Ive done a lot of experimentation with my diet (starting with some medical issues), and I definitely will read about paleo and maybe share it with my dad

By any chance, has anyone read a book called "The Ultramind Solution"? A doc recommended I read it, and its partially what I base my diet off of. The ideas seem to be similar.

Right now my dad seems mostly interested in using a recumbent bike. I'm guessing its not a good idea to neglect basic strength and flexibility work as well?

Freeflyer
MCem222 said:
Thanks for the good posts guys!

I noticed that a lot of people here eat advocate paleo eating. Ive done a lot of experimentation with my diet (starting with some medical issues), and I definitely will read about paleo and maybe share it with my dad

By any chance, has anyone read a book called "The Ultramind Solution"? A doc recommended I read it, and its partially what I base my diet off of. The ideas seem to be similar.

Right now my dad seems mostly interested in using a recumbent bike. I'm guessing its not a good idea to neglect basic strength and flexibility work as well?

Seeing people on recumbent bikes watching TV at the gym annoys me to know end. But it is better than nothing at all. Basic strength and flexibility work is far more important than a little cardio, especially for someone at his age. Weight bearing exercise can help increase bone density staving off osteoporosis and having to flexibility to reach down and pick something up off the ground never hurt anyone.

Paleo diet is definitely worth looking into. I know I feel a lot healthier days i eat it, but I am mentally weak when it comes to food and cheat a lot :(

Joshua Naterman

Don't forget that constant movement helps stave off arthritis as well.

Cole Dano

One other approach that works well with an authority figure (e.d. your dad) is to get him to come up with the idea himself. Dads like telling their children what to do and feel bad the other way around.

Find ways of exposing him to the information that he can discover for himself. When you are around ask him to help you with your workouts and i bet he'll wind up doing allot himself.

jl5555

Presuming you are away at college next time you are home on break ask him to go with you to a local gym or place to workout under the guise that you need someone to help spot you doing handstands, planche training, etc. Or, tell him you want video of yourself so you can assess your skills and he is there to take the video. When you're there talk about easier progressions to handstands, headstands, pullups, dips, etc and maybe go through your stretching and prehab routine. Maybe if he sees you doing this and sees how it's not so intimidating he will be a bit more inclined to try some stuff out.