Should I follow the GB WO 4x/wk?

Started by warfit, October 14, 2010 · 1 Replies · 2,128 Views

warfit

Quick Question

If I was to start following the GB workouts 4x per week and scale as necessary what else will I need to program into my training other than what is posted online? Should I start working FSPs prior to the WOD? Should I add in extra days of practice or conditioning? I just want to build strength and have a reasonable amount of work capacity.

Some of my current goals for the next 90 days are:

- 10y HS walk - can currently only go a few steps

- -Controlled no Kip Muscle-up on Rings - Can currently do one MU on rings with small kip. I lose the false grip at the bottom due to loss of control through the transition.

- 5 Sec BL Straddle - Can do 10 sec of ring BL almost Flat tuck

- 30' Weighted Rope Climb w/ 50# vest - Can currently do 8'up and back down with no legs w/ 40# vest

Thanks!

Newguy

WOD with FSP warmup 4X/week is a very good place to start, if you are feeling somewhat fresh afterwords then you can add more if you like.

I would not go more then 4X a week, your body needs the rest! If you want to do more then the FSP/WOD's I would add your own personal work in at the opposite end of a workout day, i.e FSP/WOD in the morning Toying around/extra work on your own personal goals at night or the other way around.

You seem to be making some nice progress, muscle up even with the rings is quite an achievement! All your goals seem quite reasonable to get in 90 days, the only thing I would change is concentrating on being able to hold a freestanding HS for a certain amount of time. You can still practice HS walking, but holding a freestanding HS with good form, and no walking is substantially harder and has a much higher carryover to walking HS's, however if you only concentrate on walking you will probably become dependent on it.

Enjoy mate! :)

The NewGuy