Getting Started - Some Guidance

Started by driftwood, October 11, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,579 Views

driftwood

Hey Folks,

I am hoping to start working out a routine in the next couple of months.

I have the book and have been researching this extensively.

At the moment I could really use some tips and guidance though.

I ready the killroy's starting guide but still am a little confused, mainly about progression and or embedded.

I understand that it is better to start out doing 2 BSE and 2 Pull/Press exercises.

A typical routine would last for 8-12 weeks does that include weekly progression (or is that only after you have mastered one basic hold?)

My goal is to build a program for the next 12 weeks that includes warm up/ wrist joint preparation, all the exercises (with diagrams) etc

I am a graphic designer, so I want to make alittle booklet chart that I can use to map everything out?

I had done p90x and they had a great little exercise workbook. I think this would be really great for this. I would have no problem sharing the workbook either.

driftwood

About the progressions:

The L-sit For example.

The Progressions

L-sit - PB tuck

L-sit - PB low

L-sit - PB

L-sit - PB advanced

L-sit - XR

L-sit - XR advanced

Do I pick one and untill I can satisfactorily perform it then add move on to the next one?

or

One a week per variation then move onto the next one?

Also on the embedded versions it says:

"week 1: jump to an L, hold

week 2: lower to an L, hold

week 3: lift to an L, hold

week 4: leg lift, lower to an L, hold

week 5: lift to an L, hold, finish the leg"

how do you jump, lower, lift to and L, or am I confusing the exercise?

Thanks.

Alexander Moreen

I would say specifically for an L sit to work on PB L sit till you have enough abdominal strength to hold above parallel for 15 or so seconds and then do them on the floor instead till you get to 1 minute max or like 3x30s and then work on your XR l sit.

driftwood

thanks.

So basically do only one, no vairation till you nail it?

Alexander Moreen

Sorry I was getting ready for work this morning, so I was a bit brief. Lets go over your questions a bit more thoroughly.

First of all while killroys program will give you results I would recommend doing the WODs here posted by Coach Sommer along with a warmup as shown in slizzardman's fsp warmup video on his YouTube account. It should allow you to make more all around progress than killroys more focused program.

When people here talk about 8-12 week programs or cycles they are referring to a steady state cycle which means the same sets, reps, and intensity throughout. A properly programed cycle should go from difficult to fairly easy by the end of the cycle, with at least 2 weeks of it feeling easy. So no progress from week to week with those programs.

The progressions listed for your l-sit look more like progressions for a hanging L instead to me. Progressions for l sit should include bent legs, low straight, horizontal straight, and below 90 degrees.

If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask. Its alot to take in.

driftwood

Lavastine,

I really appreciate the feedback. Yea it's alot to take in.

I have heard a couple times that the WOD is the way to go, and if that is the case then I am game. The only reason I was hesitant was it fitting in to a grand scheme for me.

From reading the book:

"Each day of the training week focus on a different a press, pull, core and leg

exercise. Set up a rotation that takes you through the primary planes of movement and then begins again."

So my thinking is then taking all if not most of the FSP and do only the most basic elementary position of each. This would be the same for the pull and press. The cycles then would be adding the next position of that particular FSP and FBE.

My understanding is also that doing the same FSP week in and out makes you more prone to injury.

Also, in Killorys program it says that he works through the progression... how is this done then, I mean you gotta master the basic first right? Or in a day one go through the progression?

Thanks a bunch again :)