This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101007

Started by Coach Sommer, October 7, 2010 · 22 Replies · 2,986 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

3-20m wind sprints

5 Pullovers

7 TOPs Pulls

9 FL Pulls

notes:

1) The Wind Sprints should be performed with an all out effort. You may pause for a 2 to 3 breaths in between each sprint.

2) Move immediately from the Wind Sprints to the Pullovers.

3) If you are unable to perform a Pullover you may use assisted XR backwards roll instead; from seated position, roll backwards, briefly touch the floor with the feet, and push up to XR support, slowly lower down to MU transition, back to a seated position on the floor. This constitutes one repetition.

4) Move immediately from the Pullovers to the TOPs Pulls.

5) Move immediately from the TOPs Pulls to the FL Pulls.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

7) Remember to work hard, but to scale this workout as necessary.

Samuel Carr

What is a wind sprint?

Cole Dano
element3904 said:
What is a wind sprint?

Run as fast as you can 20m turn around and run as fast as you can back to where you started, turn around and run 20m for the third and final time.

Indoors you can substitute anything that gets your heart rate up, jump rope, kettlebell swing, running in place etc...

Eddie Stelling

A video of the pullover/scaled XR pullover and TOPs pulls would be crucial! Can anyone direct me towards a video or possibly tape the WOD? The assisted XR backward roll is explained pretty well, the only confusing part to me is the backroll. Do you go into a german hang or rotate the wrist keeping arms bent?? TOPs pulls I got nothing! I know its in the book and I have not bought it yet so I understand if it can not be explained to me. But if any one can shed some light or give me a good substitute I would greatly appreciate it!

yuri marmerstein
Eddie said:
A video of the pullover/scaled XR pullover and TOPs pulls would be crucial! Can anyone direct me towards a video or possibly tape the WOD? The assisted XR backward roll is explained pretty well, the only confusing part to me is the backroll. Do you go into a german hang or rotate the wrist keeping arms bent?? TOPs pulls I got nothing! I know its in the book and I have not bought it yet so I understand if it can not be explained to me. But if any one can shed some light or give me a good substitute I would greatly appreciate it!

if I remember correctly, TOPS pulls are front lever pulls, but pulling to vertical instead of horizontal, so ending in an inverted hang rather than front lever

Cole Dano
Eddie said:
....I know its in the book and I have not bought it yet ....

Eddie you've been here for a while now, its pretty much free, you owe it to the Coach and everyone else who's given you help here to GET THE BOOK!

Joshua Naterman

Yes. Much easier than FL pulls.

Kenneth Manning

Todays WOD:

4 rounds

Burpees 12,12,12,12

Pullovers (5x1) (5x1) (5x1) (5x1) ** for each round I did 5 singles with a 3-5 sec rest between each. The main reason was that I had to do these" trapeeze-style." Essentially I suspended a barbell by 2 chains from the ceiling. The extra swinging from the forward roll made it so I had to drop from the bar and reset after each rep.

TOP pulls (adv tuck) 7,7,7,7 (nice steady pace, minimal momentum)

FL pulls (adv tuck) 9,9,(6+3),(4+3+2)

Tough one today. I found that really mentally focusing on keeping my arms strongly bent whim going over the bar in the pullovers really helped. Would really like to do these on a solid bar instead of a suspended swinging one but had to work with what I had.

Joshua Naterman

I just hope I don't... land on myself... again. :lol:

Michael Traynor

Great workout Coach!

Really looking forward to it and will post results :)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

1000m Row

10 Ring Rows

5 Strict Pullups (Chest to Bar)

3 Strict Pullups (20# Vest; Chest to Bar)

Fundamental Static Positions:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Front Lever (Flat Tuck; 8s, 5s)

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 10s, 11s)

2 x 1 Manna (MSH Low; 5s, 8s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Straddle; 5s, 5s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 6s)

WOD:

4 Rounds:

3 x 20m Shuttle Sprints

5 Pullovers

7 TOPs Pull (Tucked)

9 Front Lever Pulls (Green Elastic Assistance)

rest 2 mins.

Finish with 2 x 8 External Rotator Cuffs (8#), 2 x 8 Trap Raises (8#), 2 x 8 Power Raises (8#). Stretch.

Comments: This was hard as hell.. i`m okay with pullovers assuming I am doing them right but TOPs pull are hard as crap... front lever pulls well elastics still helping me out.

Michael Traynor

Wow! This workout was my first time with these MPPu moves and a combination of that and my workout yesterday being heavily pulling orientated meant that this workout was poor numbers-wise but aside from that it was fantastic enjoyment-wise and a fantastic learning experience. Really feeling fast progress now I am getting better plugged into the forum:

Left out FSP and a big WU as this is my 4th consecutive training night:

WU:

5min Skipping

WO:

3 rounds (couldn't manage the 4th round)

N.B. I'm also using a homemade trapeze style bar for the pullover and lever pulls, the pullovers were particularly terrifying as I don't trust the twine that's holding up the bar...must get a real one!

Exercises in order but sets a follows:

Weighted Killers (5kg DBs, nice and light): 10,10,10

Neg GHR: 5,5,5

Pullovers: 5,(3,2),(1,1,1,failure)

Flat Tuck TOPs Pulls: (6,1),(5,2),(3,3,1)

Flat Tuck Front Lever Pulls: Full: (3,3,3),(2,2,2,2,1) Changed to Half: (3,3,3)

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

4 rds:

3-20m wind sprints

5 Pullovers (on broom stick hanging from XR straps)

7 TOP Pulls (in bet. garage door railings:1st-full lay, 2nd-full lay, 3rd-full lay down-adv tuck up, 4th-full lay down-adv tuck up)

9 FL Pulls (on BBall goal bar: 1st-full lay, 2nd-full lay, 3rd-tuck, 4th-6 tuck-3 tuck)

Lats and arms blown up and stiff after!

Tough WOD!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
treemantyler said:
Today's WOD:

4 rds:

3-20m wind sprints

5 Pullovers (on broom stick hanging from XR straps)

7 TOP Pulls (in bet. garage door railings:1st-full lay, 2nd-full lay, 3rd-full lay down-adv tuck up, 4th-full lay down-adv tuck up)

9 FL Pulls (on BBall goal bar: 1st-full lay, 2nd-full lay, 3rd-tuck, 4th-6 tuck-3 tuck)

Lats and arms blown up and stiff after!

Tough WOD!

thats one tough broom stick! :shock:

Alexander Moreen

What is the preferred way to get down from a pullover? Rolling back forward or going through a negative muscle up?

Joshua Naterman

I always go through neg muscle up.

Michael Traynor

I also do this through neg MU, really focusing on a slow cadence, probably about 3 - 5 seconds, which I felt sacrificed my Pullover repping potential but my MU strength needs work so anything I can do is always good.

Johnny Rivers

I know from reading the forum that as a rule you recommend not going to failure on the static components and the assistance exercises.In the WODs if we perform them as prescribed is it okay to go to failure or should we scale it down all the way to where we don't go to failure or should we do more of a killroy type routine until we're stronger.

Eddie Stelling

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The FSP warmups should be programmed so that you are focusing on good quality work in perfect form and these should not be done to failure until you test your max hold times again. The WODs are designed for all out effort. Now don't take that the wrong way, this is all out effort as programmed by Coach. He specifially says to pick a static postion that you can hold for the prescribed time. I.E. if the workout calls for 15s embedded FL + 5 MU, you should pick a FL position that is challenging to hold for 15s but obtainable for the whole 15s. If you are capable of a 5s straddle FL, then you would want to do an advanced flat tuck FL for the WOD. Then try to complete all the reps of the dynamic move (5 muscle ups). This may lead to failure. You might have to do 3 and 2, or scale the move after a few depending on your strength and the movement prescribed, just don't break form. Also, if you find that after a couple of rounds you can't hold the static position you started with for the full time anymore, scale down to one that you can. These WODs should be hard so when I say all out effort I mean that you should give it your all to complete as prescribed, which may include additional rest or scaling during the WOD than as prescribed due to working to failure. Don't scale so much that it's not hard. But, when Coach says pick a static position that can be held for a certain time, he doesn't want you to pick a position that you hold for 6s, come down, jump back into it for another 5s, come down, and then get another 4s to achieve a 15s hold, he wants one solid hold at your current strength level. Hope that helps, this has been my take on the WODs. Let me know if i didn't answer the question correctly!

Joshua Naterman

You NEVER want to go to failure. Well, not for OUR purposes, and going to failure is honestly an inferior way of training for just about everything except being exhausted. You only go to the LAST REP OF PERFECT FORM! Try not to go to the first rep of less than perfect form. If you do, you do, but try not to. You are better off scaling in the middle of a set and keeping perfect form with every rep , whether that means going from full lay straight to tuck or just hopping down at 7 reps instead of 9 if you realize that you can't even pull the last 2 reps as tuck properly, than trying to push harder and do everything the same way. This is very individual, there is no way to give concrete guidelines, so you have to learn your body and start figuring out when this happens with each exercise. Mastering this concept will lead to much better progress both short term AND long term!

You're pretty spot on with the statics, during the warm up at most of our levels they are not to be maximal efforts at all. You want half of your max time for sets, with a reasonable minimum working set time of 8-10s. Less than that means you're working way too hard and need to be doing prerequisite work exclusively. The rest of us should be maintaining our statics and focusing on prerequisite work until we can complete it all before directly training the statics. This prerequisite work will be explained in the 2nd edition of BtGB. There's a good bit of it out there now, so search my recent posts in the basic strength and getting started forums to find it. I will work on getting a sticky up that consolidates everything that is publicly available so far.

Eddie Stelling

This is what I meant when I said break up a set of 5 into a set of 3 and a set of 2 if necessary but to never break form. I shouldn't have used the word failure. My bad! But I feel that what I wrote is on the same page as you, I just didn't word it as well. Thanks for the clarity!

Joshua Naterman

I did 1 round of 5 pull overs, 5 tops pulls and 5 FL pulls full lay, but my elbows bothered me. I then did round 2 with 5 pull ups, 5 inverted pull ups, and 5-6 FL rows in a flat tuck. I ran out of battery but then did tucked tops pulls and FL rows for the last 2 rounds.

It seems that 60 minutes of deep tissue massage makes you somewhat weaker an hour later lol! I should have seen that coming. My elbows feel better though, and I had two entrapped nerves in my right trap that the guy freed up, it popped LOUD! First time I've heard anything in my BACK pop that wasn't a vertebra. I have 5 more massages booked, and this guy is REALLY good. For those of you in the Atlanta area, set yourself up with Windell at Massage Envy's Dunwoody location.

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

3x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 10s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 15s Reverse Pushup)

3x (20s Bent L-sit + 15s Assisted German Hang)

WOD:

4 rounds:

8 Burpees

5 Assisted MUs + lowering

7 Tuck TOPs Pulls

9 Tuck FL Pulls

Notes:

  • [*:3se1t6dw]Had to take a few short rests in the latter FL Pulls - these are still really tough after TOPs pulls. I'll scale it so I don't reach failure next time.