This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mikkel: Recovering, and basics

Started by Mikkel H.L., October 6, 2010 · 59 Replies · 2,642 Views

Mikkel H.L.

Hey everyone. I'm going to start doing log on this site, i was previously doing it on a bodybuilding/strength site but it seems obvious to write my GB workouts on the GB forums! :) so here we go:

Age: 15,5 years

Height: 175,5 cm

As a note for my diet, i have celiac disease which means that I eat 100% gluten free and have done so since 2003.

Previous training experience: 1,5 years, far from optimal strength training.

Had an elbow injury some months ago, and it started to hurt again last week after some german hangs with miserable form. Will take extra care now. Here is the program i plan on starting:

SSC:

Front lever tuck 4x15s (max 30 sec)

German hang 3x20s (Gradually assisting less, so that i'm moving to freehang slowly)

bent leg L-sit (PB) 4x15s (max 30sec)

bent leg straddle L-sit (not PB) 4x15s (max 30 sec)

Wall Handstand 4x15s (max probably a little above 30sec)

Reverse pushup position 4x15 (max 30sec)

Training A: In gym

FSP and some prehab warmup

Dips progression 3x3-5

Row progression 3x3-5

Dragonflag 2x1 reps og 5 sec isometric hold 3 different places so 1 rep is a 15 sec isometric.

GHR progression 3x3-5

Deck squats 3x3-5

Db shrugs 3x3-5

Calf raises 3x3-5

Training B: In gym.

FSP and some prehab warmup

Pushups 4x12 (High rep for now because of elbow, will probably change when i get rings)

Pulldowns 4x12 (same as above)

Dragonflag 2x2 partial reps. 1 full eccentric rep

RDL 3x3-5

Trap exercise 3x3-5

Calf raise 3x3-5

Training C: At home/Playground

FSP and some prehab warmup

Pullup progression 3x3-5

HSPU Progression 3x3-5

Windshield wipers on floor 3x3-5

1 leg glute bridge 3-3-5 + 2 sec isometric top hold each rep

Planche lean 1x30 sec

You are all very welcome to comment on my program. I will move up in FBE progressions when i can do 3x5 PERFECT reps!

When i get rings i may change the FBEs up abit, will probably get em in 3 weeks time :)

Mikkel H.L.

My elbows still hurt a little bit sometimes, so i'm thinking of doing an SSC with only half the volume, meaning 30 sec in each static position. I guess i can do that for 4 weeks and see how it feels and then add another 30 sec? Please help me on this one :)

Razz

Ey sorry I didn't see your bb.dk pm until now.

About your elbow try massaging biceps/triceps really intensely (foam roll or tennis ball/baseball) and don't do anything in your training that aggravates it the slightest. Rather a week off now than a year off later ;)

Blairbob

I am somewhat doing the same thing. Right now, 60s of volume in the german hang at 50% max hold is just too much. It sucks, but I figure my tight shoulders are what ends up making my elbows hurt quite a bit in the back lever or some other stuff.

Mikkel H.L.

Thanks for the help i will just keep up with the half volume approach for now:) I have been taking almost a week off the statics so i think iil be good:)

Todays training: October 8th 2010

Warmup routine with prehab and SSC

SSC was: 2x15sec of each

tuck front lever

PB L-sit bent legs

assisted GH

bent legs straddle L

Reverse pushup position

Wall handstand

Todays workout was: (High volume day)

10 rounds of 5 reps each

Pulldowns 30 kilo behind the neck

Regular pushups

RDL 3x4x40kg

Single leg squat training.

Calf raise 3x3x40kg

Trap exercise with cables 3x3x40kg

Cuban rotation, Wrist pushups , static stretching and wall slides / dislocates.

Mikkel H.L.

And razz, thanks for the massage advice! will definately start doing that! :D

Mikkel H.L.

Yesterday sunday the 10th i did the statics with half volume ofc. and Pike stretching, and short statics stretch of the whole body. I also played a handball match which we won 25 - 12.

Today there will be no BTGB training, but going to play another handball match against a norwegian team. Might train tomorow:)

Mikkel H.L.

I'm gonna add some calf training to really make them grow, while i can't train my elbows anyway. So i thought i might aswell bring my calves up abit. Hope it will increase my jumping ability aswell. Will be following this:

Schedule: perform the following twice-daily workouts for two days in a row followed by a day of rest (2 on/1 off cycle). Continue the plan for one month before taking 5 full days off from calf training.

Note: Start with your weakest/smallest calf first and perform the following 1A/rest/1B/rest sequence three times. Then perform the same sequence for your other calf. It's imperative that you do these workouts barefoot for maximum motor unit recruitment.

AM Workout

1A) Single leg hop with body weight for 10 reps

Key points: Jump as high as possible, minimize your landing time, and keep knee flexion to a minimum each time you land.

Rest 5 seconds

1B) Single leg standing calf raise for 3 x 5 with 5 seconds rest between each rep

Description: While standing on one leg, perform a single calf raise and hold the peak contraction for five seconds by pushing through your big toe. It's essential that you squeeze your calf as hard as humanly possible — try to get it to cramp. After five seconds of contraction, rest for five seconds and then repeat the contraction/rest sequence two more times (be sure to rest 5 seconds between each rep).

Rest 60 seconds and repeat 1A-1B two more times before switching to the opposite leg

PM Workout

A) Standing double-leg body weight calf raise to failure

Explanation: In the evening, or at least six hours after your first workout, perform one set of calf raises with both feet at the same time (double-leg standing calf raise). Perform each rep as fast as possible and don't pause at any point of the movement, just crank out as many double-leg standing calf raises in one set as you can. Do these calf raises off the edge of a step to achieve a full range of motion.

B) Calf stretch for 2 x 30 seconds with each leg

Description: Stand on the edge of a step with your right leg and let your calf maximally stretch. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat with the left calf. Repeat the stretch with both legs one more time.

Hope it will give me some results:D

Mikkel H.L.

Training tuesday the 12th of october 2010 (At home/playground)

Warmup-routine with the statics.

Then

Pullup 2x1 reps of 10sec bottom hold and 10 sec top hold. then 2x1 normal reps. Easy with the pullups since i'm going to swim tomorrow and been training quite a lot lately.

1leg glute bridge 2 sec isometric hold each each. 3x3reps each leg

Bent arm handstand 3x15sek

Windshield wipers on floor 3x2 reps

Wall slides 5 reps

shoulder dislocations band 10 reps

A few bridge wall walks

Straddle pike stretching.

overall static stretching, focus on groin and quads.

Mikkel H.L.

Training wednesday the 13th of October 2010: Swimming

first i swam 400 meters, then some lifesaving training for short distances.

Then in one streak ( what our teacher called the david hasselhoff test;)

150 meters with loose clothes (pants, socks , t-shirt, sweatshirt, and hat) while carrying a bottle all the time.

Then take the clothes off while carrying the bottle, then dive 3,7 meter and pick something up(still carrying bottle) Then drop the bottle and swim 400 meters! It was tough :D

Resting day tomorow, and some sport day at school friday, will probably drop by the gym afterwards :)

Mikkel H.L.

TRæning fredag the 15th of october 2010

First some sport day at school

Then warmup at the gym with my statics and easy weight lifts

RDL 3x3x40kg

SLS training

Dragonflag partial 2x2

Eccentric 1 rep

Inverted row 3x4

DEEP dips 3x3

Cuban rotation

Wrist pu's

And scapula work.

Mikkel H.L.

Training monday the 18th of october statics only

I just did the statics today was very busy.

Mikkel H.L.

Training tuesday the 19th of october

Warmup routine without statics.

Pullups different grips 3x3

Pseudo pushups 3x3

Assisted GH 2x15

Retraction 2x10

lat stretch hanging.

External rotators, wall slides, stretching of shoulder,wrist and back. And wrist pushups.

Mikkel H.L.

Training wednesday the 20th of october at home

Today i did warmup but with no statics.

I also just read Slizzardman's article on pre-, mid-, and postworkout meals. So this is how my meals were: 1 hour before i ate some bread with lots of slow carbs and healthy fats (In denmark it's called Rugbrød) ,with some meat on it. 20 minutes before i had a homemade protein bar with a glass of milk and 20 grams of chicken.

During the workout i ate some raisins and drank 2 liters of water. Immediately postworkout i had 30 grams of protein and 70 grams of carbs. 30 mins after i had another meal with some fast carbs in it aswell, 1 hour after workout i had some maize and chicken, 1,5 hour after i had some bread with meat and potatoes and meat.

Workout was:

Lunges 3x5

Hamstring slide 3x8

GVT for guns:

hammer curl 10x10x6,5kg

Bench dips 10x10.

I actually feel pretty much recovered already! im positive about the nutrition around workout thingie!

Razz

70 grams of carbs right after workout sounds a bit over the top.. Have you ever looked into paleo style eating?

Mikkel H.L.
Razz said:
70 grams of carbs right after workout sounds a bit over the top.. Have you ever looked into paleo style eating?

I actually have:) Wasn't 70 grams of carbs tho. Was more like 65 grams. And that is 65 grams of the fast carbs powder i use, which has around 70g carbs/100grams powder.

So i got like 45 grams of carbs and it was pretty demanding workout on the arms :D

What are you experiences with paleo eating? are you using dairy with it?

Mikkel H.L.

Actually i have been eating a little paleo for the past 7 years since I'm not eating any gluten (i have celiac disease). But I'm now experimenting with less potatoes,pasta, rice etc.

Mikkel H.L.

Todays workout Friday the 22th of october 2010

Warmup with the SSC except handstand. Can't do much legs, abs and handstand this week because i had a birthmark removed at the lowest part of my abs, and i don't want a big scar :)

Inverted rows (very easy height) 3x5

Single bar dip (first time, they are pretty hard) 3x3

Scapula depression 1x10

Had some kids spying on me, since i was training on the playground today hehe ;) They couldn't understand why i was training and they thought i did it because of back pain :s Hopefully I'll have the playground for myself when it gets a little colder :twisted:

got home and did:

Ham slides 3x5

Catdogs 3xmax

and some prehab/ light stretch. Tried the perfect pre-,mid-, and post nutrition again today :)

Razz
Mikkel H.L. said:
Actually i have been eating a little paleo for the past 7 years since I'm not eating any gluten (i have celiac disease). But I'm now experimenting with less potatoes,pasta, rice etc.

I'm convinced paleo is the way to go. Just saw your rugbrød and thought I'd hear if you ever thought of dropping it. I'm trying to be paleo but I'm probably 95%, excluding supplements. I have some dairy but that's something I will try to cut out soon. I never have the chance to get it post/during workout and that's about the only time I'd wanna keep it in my diet. I might start bringing a liter to training and zip it throughout the training though..

Mikkel H.L.
Razz said:
Mikkel H.L. said:
Actually i have been eating a little paleo for the past 7 years since I'm not eating any gluten (i have celiac disease). But I'm now experimenting with less potatoes,pasta, rice etc.

I'm convinced paleo is the way to go. Just saw your rugbrød and thought I'd hear if you ever thought of dropping it. I'm trying to be paleo but I'm probably 95%, excluding supplements. I have some dairy but that's something I will try to cut out soon. I never have the chance to get it post/during workout and that's about the only time I'd wanna keep it in my diet. I might start bringing a liter to training and zip it throughout the training though..

I'm definitely giving it a try, but I won't go all the way. I'll try to get all the "westernized" carbs close to my workout, instead of cutting them out totally. Rest of the day will be mostly vegetables,meat,nuts,fruits and probably some dairy and berries.

The rugbrød will stay:) It's full of healthy fats and slow carbs and it has no gluten.

Razz

Yeah I know it's hard to convince a Dane that rugbrød may not be the best things. There are many things out there with 'healthy' fats/carbs/proteins but they are still not paleo.

Mikkel H.L.
Razz said:
Yeah I know it's hard to convince a Dane that rugbrød may not be the best things. There are many things out there with 'healthy' fats/carbs/proteins but they are still not paleo.

Well I have lots of physical activity and I'm still growing, so I'm going to need the calories. It will be very hard for me to get the energy I need with a 100% paleo diet. I'll go for my paleo hybrid instead :twisted:

Mikkel H.L.

Sunday the 24th of october 2010

Trained at home (...again) today, gotta get my gym membership paid soon.... :oops:

Warmup with: Ido's squat clinic, wrist routine, and statics.

then Pullups 3x3 with different grips

Then 10 minutes of handstand work (including rest) will put a video up on that.

Some stretching and active flexibility.

Mikkel H.L.

Hmm, The handstand video doesn't want to get uploaded :(

Anyone who knows what the maximum file size is? Do i have to upload it through youtube?

Mikkel H.L.

training tueday the 26th of october 2010

Warm-up with statics and wrist series.

3x4 inverted row

3x4 pseudo pushups.

Shoulder stabilisation and mobility.

And finally got my Gym membership again so i can start to train my legs some more:D